IGNORED

EZ Touring Cover quit

EddyQ

So, almost exactly one year ago I got myself this EZ Touring Traveler cover based of good feedback from those that have had them for years. Now look at it. Basically while adjusting, my fingers went right through. I never store the cover wet. I always dry it after use.

image.jpg

I do commute for 9 months and use it on sunny days. Is this something I should have expected? Should I have applied a sun block periodically?

I do plan on contacting EZ Touring and ask what they think.

I would call that unusual. I've had several over the years and none have done that. Of course, I don't commute with any regularity on my bike so the cover protects it from dust in the garage mainly or on a trip. Not daily in the sun like yours.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I use a Geza cover. Pricey but two years so far parked in the sun with no ill effect. Slight sun bleaching. It might not have fared well on a trip to Co Springs due to a ton of rain on it. Might have stretched due to the water weight.

Yes 303 is good stuff. I would have used it, but the cover is suppose to have it.

Geza fabric looks really good and their warrentee looks nice as well. Price, well not so good. But I will consider.

I got a mid-grade XL Nelson Rigg that was on sale when I got my Bonneville America in 2003 and it has since covered 4 different bikes over the course of 10 years. Apparently you can get one even cheaper now than when I got mine. It's still a good cover but got another (XXL) to cover a big cruiser. Since my bikes are garaged I only use it on trips, but use it religiously when on the road. It's been packed dry, wet from dew, and soaking wet from frog-chokers and still looks good. Over the years it's gotten easier to stuff in the bag, maybe the bag is stretching out, IDK. There are short bungees on both sides near the front to hook it down and reinforced grommets about center bottom, both sides, that I hook a small locking cable through. There is a soft windshield cloth section inside at appropriate location. Perfect size for an R1100RT. As you can see, they're not expensive so if you're looking for high-end this might not do it.

Don't often take pics of the cover but found one from a Death Valley trip. Oh, just FYI, as with most trips, I got rained on... even in Death Vally. But the cover performed flawlessly as always.

p1030604a-vi.jpg

I would drop them a note and tell them what happened. They may provide some replacement or maybe a discounted new one.

Good advice to try them first. I've had one for years that I use when traveling and it's still good as new. I'd get another in a minute.

• 2 weeks later...
I would definitely call them. I'd bet they'll take care of it (you).

Let us know.

Nope. EZ Touring said in an email reply a year is to be expected when used in the sun.

But try finding that on their website.

I'm gonna miss the cover. I really liked it. It was very well built. But I'm not getting another for daily use.

Might want to look at this cover on Amazon:

http://goo.gl/pwHtni

I've used these for several years. The first one lasted about 16 months of use before the fabric failed and was replaced with the same item for <$20...

Good idea to spray it with 303 - think I'll try that.

BTW, the XL size fits my k1200GT (no bags) just fine.

Lighthiker90

What do you feel is the advantage of a full cover? I use a hefty trash bag. I unlock and lift the rear of the seat and side it on. It covers the seat well and stops it from soaking up water. My 1100RT is old so I am not overly concerned about paint fading in the sun. I have used the same trash bag for over a year now. Then again I am darn cheap.

What do you feel is the advantage of a full cover?

For me a full cover is a bit of a theft deterrent. I have a GPS (or two), a AM/FM/WB radio, tankbag and such on the dash. I've seen that covering it deters prying eyes and has allowed me to safely leave coat/helmet on the bike.

Of course... now that I've written this someone is going to prove me just lucky and not smart. Overnight and when I'm going to be away for a while without being able see the bike I do remove anything that's quick release.

What do you feel is the advantage of a full cover?

For me a full cover is a bit of a theft deterrent. I have a GPS (or two), a AM/FM/WB radio, tankbag and such on the dash. I've seen that covering it deters prying eyes and has allowed me to safely leave coat/helmet on the bike.

Since 95% of my use is commuting, I like a half cover. Quick on and off and less storage. The EZ Touring Traveler was nice since it covered everything under the windshield. I've stashed my gloves and old Arai helmet under it without much worries. And everything including handlebar switches, grips and seat stay bone dry in a good rain and are somewhat protected from UV. The rest of the bike can get a few drops of rain and I don't care.

I'm considering making a replacement. My dad makes boat tops and likely could get something that will last. Something like Sunbrella fabric, which is a high quality, breathable, UV tolerant acrylic fabric. Unfortunately, it is 10 ounce weight vs ripstop nylon being 1ounce.

THIS firm makes a cover using Sunbrella and has a 6 year warrentee. Unfortunately, it is full size.

I used my Nelson-Rigg UV2000 in partial sunlight at work for about 2 years before retiring, and as a travel cover for the past two years. Still looks like new. For about $30, with a storage pack, it's probably not worth making your own. This is the XL size on my RT:

9302205347_0a0fdb982d_m.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Larry, but my dad and I built one. We used the EZ-Touring cover as a template, with changes, and made a cover that WILL last. The fabric is Sunbrella and designed not to fade in 7 years. The thread is dacron polyester and used for marine use.

image.jpg

I would definitely call them. I'd bet they'll take care of it (you).

Let us know.

Nope. EZ Touring said in an email reply a year is to be expected when used in the sun...

That's ridiculous. I guess you are supposed to get a cover to protect their cover.

I've got a Sunbrella Bimini Top on my boat, and a Helm Cover made of the same material. while it's great material I'd think it might be a little bit abrasive on the bikes finish.

It will certainly keep it clean and dry though, and nice job sewing that up. Looks Good!

That's ridiculous. I guess you are supposed to get a cover to protect their cover.

I was surprised when it happened. But after searching for covers and better fabric, I learned that nylon (particularly light weight) won't last in sun. Most cover makers show their warrantee with only 1-2 years with light weight materials. The exception is space materials that cost more than the parts they are protecting.

Unfortunatately, ALL half covers that I could find are light weight materials. This makes sense for most. But not a commuter wanting sun protection. I told EZ touring to add a friendly note of this to their website. Donno if they will or not. So I hope this post will open a few eyes to those looking for a cover for sun protection.

I'd buy another EZ touring cover and use it for touring when space is a premium. But it just don't work for the commuter and I have space for cover twice as big.

This new half cover seems to be working well. I am watching for scratching of paint and shield wear. It poured on it yesterday and the bike was bone dry. Did I mention that Sunbrella breaths as well? I'm happy so far and will let you know if I have issues.

Archived