IGNORED

Fuel additives

Bakayado32

Does anyone use any fuel additives to there bikes? I have always used sea foam in my other bikes/ atvs. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues or problems.

Techron from Chevron. If you look into the BMW Fuel additive, you will find that it is Techron product. That said, I have used Sea Foam and STP on my previous bikes with no issues. Metal or plastic tanks, no drama. Have not used either on my RT as I have not felt it was needed. Been running strong with Techron along with having a few 100% gas/non-ethanol pump station providers (whenever/wherever possible).

YMMV or YRMV

Morning Bakayado32

What problem does your bike have that you are trying to solve with by adding something to your fuel?

If nothing wrong now then why would anything need to be added to the fuel?

Unless you are buying fuel from a 3rd world country then current U.S. gasoline already comes with a decent blend of additives to keep injectors clean & carbon build up low.

Just use fresh, clean, top-tier, gasoline & you won't need to add anything.

SteveHebert

I have been using Star Tron. It is a fuel stabilizer for ethanol fuels. Highly recommended if your bike is going to sit for some time, especially with fuel lines in the tank.

The only fuel additive I've ever actually "seen" do anything was the BMW Fuel System Cleaner.

It does have Techron in it, but if you look at the MSDS sheets, (I did) it has 3 times the active ingredients or snake oil of the Techron branded product you buy at Costco or the auto parts store.

It's also a fuel preservative, an octane booster, and removes and prevents oxidation.

Our service manger was even more skeptical than I was when this came out but started using it after the warehouse messed up and sent us 12 cases instead of 12 bottles.

(Now granted, our California "gas" is probably the worst fuel in the country. It has the shelf life of a cantaloupe.)

It's good for cleaning injectors that need it to smooth out the idle. Customers who used it every couple thousand miles after new fuel strips were installed had them last longer than those that didn't. (Purely non-scientific)

I've used it on a couple carb bikes to clean the pilot jets without taking the carb apart.

You can buy it online or at the BMW car dealer a bit cheaper than most motorcycle dealers.

It's 1oz per gallon so one bottle will last a bit.

That Seafoam and the other brands, I choose to not use or suggest, but that darn BMW stuff I even put in my cars because I've seen it make improvements and had customers come back happy.

Save your money :) !

What D.R. said....most new GDI motors (in cages) specify using Top Tier gas because of the additive packages therein.

The additive packages are specifically for the HP FI systems and Direct Injection used in GDI vehicles. They have higher detergent quantities, amongst other things.

HERE is a list of Top Tier suppliers and info :thumbsup:.

I use Red Line 60202 lead substitute in my '81 R100RT. I Buy it on Amazon. In my motorcycles I alway use non-ethanol premium. Don't pay much attention to fuel brand as all fuels have an additive package. You can argue differences in additive packages all you want but I doubt there is much difference. The additive package is added at time of delivery and after talking to several fuel delivery guys I don't pay much attention to brands.

i have always used an additive in my machines. I was just asking so i dont destroy my beemer. Thanks for the input.

James,

Check out the Top Tier gasoline site and note the Deposit Control specifications. You may then appreciate some brands more than others ;) !

Archived