IGNORED

Tire mileage

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I'm continually scratching my head when I read the numerous reports of people getting 10k-12k miles out of a rear tire. I don't know how that's possible unless one rides 60 MPH and never rides a twisty road? I would say that I'm a reasonably aggressive rider in the twisties, but I only get 7k-8k out of a PR4 GT front and 5k-6k out of a PR4 GT rear. The same was true for PR3's. And I got about half that mileage out of BT-023's.

Doug

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just took off a pair of PR3s. 11000 miles and tiny bit of change. More than half of those miles were freeway with half of those at 80-90mph on two long trips in the west where one can get up there. The bulk of the miles is at normal freeway speed is 74.9999 mph. 75 might gather enough of CHPs ire that they'll stop you.

Lots of Sierra roads too but, hardly any visible wear on the shoulders.

I don't hit the throttle hard on a typical freeway entrance though. That, I think, takes more tread off than anything else. Interestingly, the final run of 1200 miles only rubbed off somewhere around 0.030 inch from the rear on a very loaded bike...lots of headwind.

I got over 10Kmi on the last two pairs of PR2s. Most my riding is not highway, but commuting side roads. I tend to wear the tread round with a slight middle flat section.

Perhaps in TX the hot softens the rubber making them wear quicker?? Just a thought.

I got over 10Kmi on the last two pairs of PR2s. Most my riding is not highway, but commuting side roads. I tend to wear the tread round with a slight middle flat section.

Perhaps in TX the hot softens the rubber making them wear quicker?? Just a thought.

Or maybe chip and seal is used more that rolled asphalt.

I too marvel at the guys who are posting 10k+ miles on a set of sport touring tires. I'm forced to believe it is a combination of road quality and riding style. Here in the Piedmont of North Carolina most of the two lane roads are rough quality - chip seal. Very few roads get repaved with smooth rolled asphalt. I ride aggressively, and on PR3 tires I am lucky to squeeze out 5k on the front and 6k on the rear. I'm going to try a PR4 front next to see if it actually gives 10 or 20% more mileage. That would at least get my tires changing out at the same time. And just to be clear, I am very careful about maintaining inflation on the tires, usually 38-39 front, 39-41 rear.

I'm in NC and have always gotten 10-13K out of tires on my 1150GS and 1200RT. The only bike that I could not get more than 8K out of the back tire was my K1200LT but then that was a huge beast. My buddy on an K1600 can only get 7-8K on the back.

John Bentall

To the OP - don't worry about other's high mileages. Different riders (and different machines) have different requirements and are sensitive to squaring off differently.

For example, there are many riders here who are really happy with Chinese Shinko tires.

However I would not risk mounting tires that a recent magazine article described as like "riding on tires from the 1990's". I am sure many folks would see absolutely nothing wrong with that and I respect their opinion.

I understand that the Chinese tires are manufactured using old Japanese machinery and technology. Anybody know different?

Hope this helps dispel your doubts.

Not Chinese. From the Shinko Web site:

"In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards."

I've got about 4k on Shinko on the rear of my RT. No complaints so far....

Just took off a pair of PR3s. 11000 miles and tiny bit of change. More than half of those miles were freeway with half of those at 80-90mph on two long trips in the west where one can get up there. The bulk of the miles is at normal freeway speed is 74.9999 mph. 75 might gather enough of CHPs ire that they'll stop you.

Lots of Sierra roads too but, hardly any visible wear on the shoulders.

I don't hit the throttle hard on a typical freeway entrance though. That, I think, takes more tread off than anything else. Interestingly, the final run of 1200 miles only rubbed off somewhere around 0.030 inch from the rear on a very loaded bike...lots of headwind.

Normal. Rubber is harder, less tread means less squirming of rubber.

Traction not so good. :rofl:

CoarsegoldKid

Me too, can't see the high mileage some riders get. I'm a 6-7K on PR3 or PR2, but the oem BT021s only got 4K. I guess I'm not as hard on tires as previously. Still I seem to be replacing them often. You should see what mileage knobby tires get.

I'm continually scratching my head when I read the numerous reports of people getting 10k-12k miles out of a rear tire. I don't know how that's possible unless one rides 60 MPH and never rides a twisty road? I would say that I'm a reasonably aggressive rider in the twisties, but I only get 7k-8k out of a PR4 GT front and 5k-6k out of a PR4 GT rear. The same was true for PR3's. And I got about half that mileage out of BT-023's.

Doug

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You simply CANNOT compare tire mileages.

Asphalt differs. The specs in your state (highway), county (roads), and city (streets) all differ from areas as close as 20 miles away and as far away as across the country. Friction rates for different asphalts differ. Heat differs in different parts of the country. Tires don't wear as much in the rain, either. You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're getting what you should get for the circumstances in your area. Tire pressures may help a little. But basically, tire mileage in SoCal isn't going to be the same as in TX, as in Seattle, as in Chicago. And if it is, it's coincidence, not because the circumstances match up. There are simply too many variables before one even begins to consider the relatively small effect the human ones have.

Archived