IGNORED

Please help me choose boots

EddyQ

After reading through THIS thead, I was reminded that my current motorcycle boots need upgrading.

I did some research a while back and found quite a few like their Sidi On-Roads. Today, I am finding folks still like them. However, Sidi Canyons and Adventures, Alpinstar Scout and TCX Desert boots being geared for more adventure riding are quite attractive. I'm thinking I may be doing more dirt roads in the future, so having some more protection seems like a good idea.

But many adventure boots appear more like motocross boots with lots of plastic, tighter cuffs around the top, harder to don and generally big and bulky.

So, I am wondering what others are riding with and why? Are Sidi on-roads or canyons good enough protection for some (<10%) dirt roads? For the added cost of the adv boots, I could get myself a real MX boot. But is the added protection worth it for road use as well? How about all day riding with adv boots?

I enjoy the feeling of my motocross boots and the special off road armor when off road, but those things definitely make the ride less comfortable when you are just tooling down the road to the next trail. We give comfort a lot of consideration when purchasing and modifying our bikes. Boots and other gear need to be comfortable so you can enjoy the ride. If you find yourself in a situation where your 10% ride is making you wish you had more elaborate gear it is time to slow down or find another way.

I have worn a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring Lites since 2006. I had them resoled last year, and they will probably outlast my riding days. They came through a collision with a deer in good condition; my left foot was a little bruised, but that was all.

Fortunately, I was riding through Duluth and was able to try on different boots at the Aerostich store before making my choice. Unfortunately, I ignored the salesperson's advice: Fill a tub with hot water. Put on the boots and soak them for ~15-30 minutes. Wear the boots until dry.

I have worn mine through several day long rides in the rain, and they never leaked a drop of water. Very easy to get on and off, and the interior speed lace system is both fast and secure.

About the only downside is that they have a big, hard toe box, and I can't fit my foot under the shifter easily. Fortunately the edge of the sole sticks out enough to engage the shifter.

Guest Kakugo

I've had two pairs of Sidi On-Road in my life.

One was chewed away by a young Scottish Terrier and I still have the other and had it resoled before putting it in reserve.

They were great boots back in the days but now times have moved on.

Sidi changed the soles: they went from being sewn (hence easy to resole) to glued (can still be resoled but it's a much harder procedure).

More crucial is the waterproof membrane: Sympatex hasn't aged well as a material and is a very far cry from the latest Gore-Tex products.

Speaking about protection, the On-Road offer a good degree of protection but are bulkier than more modern, tour-oriented boots offering the same (or superior) level of protection in a slimmer package.

I presently have two pairs of TCX boots: Explorer 3 Gore-Tex (now replaced by the Explorer EVO) and S-Sport Tour Waterproof.

Extremely satisfied with both of them, the Explorer are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn on long hauls.

You may want to check the new Infinity Gore-Tex boot. Seems far less bulkier than other adventure oriented boots.

I enjoy the feeling of my motocross boots and the special off road armor when off road, but those things definitely make the ride less comfortable when you are just tooling down the road to the next trail. We give comfort a lot of consideration when purchasing and modifying our bikes. Boots and other gear need to be comfortable so you can enjoy the ride. If you find yourself in a situation where your 10% ride is making you wish you had more elaborate gear it is time to slow down or find another way.

eddd, I cannot agree more about comfort. My current ride is an RT, which almost never rides off pavement. But a few folks I ride with bought adventure bikes . . . . I cannot see me trading anytime soon, so you are likely correct and should target comfy road boots and the safety needed for such.

Kalugo, I plan on visiting my local dealers over the next week or so. I will look at TCX boots and consider them. Interesting history on Sidi. BTW, On-Roads and Canyons are now Gortex. Sewn on soles are what I have now and I have heard of a LOT of folks who re-soled their comfy boots. I'd like to preserve that feature as well.

How is the shin protection of the Sidi On-Roads and Canyons? Looks less substancial relative to adventure boots. But maybe they are both plenty adequate for road use.

Thanks Seldon and Gooner. Aerostich makes good stuff. I have a RC and their gloves. The lack of plastic is an attractive feature, but not because of looks. I've had plastic on motocross boots crumble due to aging or sun. While leather does weeken with age, I don't think it would crumble.

I don't do much (ok, hardly any) off-road riding, but I love my TCX boots -- best I've ever had, and I'm on my 3rd pair. They're the only brand that has a sole wide enough to accommodate my 9.5 double-E dogs without seriously putting the squeeze on. I have a pair of Sidi's as well (the armored GoreTex ones) for when rain is in the forecast, but in order to fit my spade-shaped feet, I had to go up a size, which makes them feel too loose everywhere else -- specifically around my calfs, where it feels as though they could slide off in the event of a crash. Revzilla usually has good deals on the TCX, and thre's no concern over buying close-outs, as TCX just continually improves their product line.

I went through two pair of Sidi Tour Rain Boots in about five years. Loved them. All day comfy on & off the bike. And as dry as advertised. ( Of course, there's always that big hole in the top.)

sidi_tour_rain_600.jpg

Then I went down hard in a parking lot on the GSA a year ago. Folded my left ankle outward under the bike, resulting in two torn ligaments.

Seeing as I now had two months to do research on better ankle protection, I did just that. And I came up with these. Alpinestars Scout.

Scout_WP_Boot.jpg

Taller, fully waterproof, and most important, great ankle support. They may look as bulky as an M/X boot, but I have no trouble getting my jeans over them. They offer exceptional support & protection & ...wait for it...they ARE all day comfortable. I've spent a full day at the Daytona races hiking around in them &, while they aren't as light as a pair of sneakers, they are very comfortable.

My opinion is they'd work just as well on an RT as a GSA.

Scout linky

Danny, thanks for that info about the scout. They do get good review with the Adv bunch, but your saying they work for all day as well. That is good news.

They're the only brand that has a sole wide enough to accommodate my 9.5 double-E dogs without seriously putting the squeeze on.

That's not good news for me. My feet are a bit narrow.

Guest Kakugo

Kalugo, I plan on visiting my local dealers over the next week or so. I will look at TCX boots and consider them. Interesting history on Sidi. BTW, On-Roads and Canyons are now Gortex. Sewn on soles are what I have now and I have heard of a LOT of folks who re-soled their comfy boots. I'd like to preserve that feature as well.

How is the shin protection of the Sidi On-Roads and Canyons? Looks less substancial relative to adventure boots. But maybe they are both plenty adequate for road use.

Seems I have spoken a bit too soon.

My Explorer boots are a true marvel but yesterday I caught a shower and the ST proved anything but "waterproof" and let in a lot of water from the sole side. I plan to take them back to the shop tomorrow and have them replaced/sent back to the factory. They are just three months old.

Regarding shin protection. Years ago I had a pretty nasty crash while wearing a pair of Oxtar (old TCX name) boots with soft shin guards. They did an excellent job protecting my feet, ankles etc and at the hospital they told me those boots had done their job well, by turning a potentially broken bone into a bruise... and who am I to argue?

I'm in the market for some boots also, to replace my old Fieldsheers which have worn almost completely through on the soles. What I'm finding is that most boots (it seems) today have larger toes, and it makes it difficult to get my toe between the peg and the shifter on my 1100RT. Guess the Fieldsheers have a slim toe, slips right into that notch perfectly. Shifter is adjusted to the high setting. Maybe if I rode a GS there would be more room at the shifter, wouldn't be a problem?

BTW...BMW All Arounds (that I bought used) fit fine, were tight peg to shifter, but were quite painful to walk All Around in. Made the tops of my feet hurt. No BMW boots for me. DP

"From time to time, apply any good waterproofing product and they will mostly eliminate the need for carrying rain boots."

Price seems a little steep for boots that might be waterproof IF I apply additional products.

I think I paid $225 for my BMW Gore-Tex boots in 2008 and they're just starting to show some wear. No complaints. Never a drop of water or dampness. I'll buy another set when these are gone.

RPG

I just picked up a pair of these on Adv Rider at a very reasonable price. Fit is spot-on, well made, and protection without the plastic.

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/footwear/combat-touring-boots/aerostich-combat-touring-boots.html

If you don't want the plastic but are interested in a retro-looking adventure style boot, maybe check out the Icon Elsinore?

I like these Dainese boots. With Gore-tex and a sealed boot to sole seam they're waterproof & breathable. Revzilla says they're 3 season but I wear them year round - they're not too hot for the summer. The hinged ankle protects the bone there from being ground down if you get off and the construction keeps you from turning the foot like a race boot does. Under pants/jeans/overpants/'stich you don't see the "race" ankle. They're a rear zip vs a big flap with velcro to allow you to open up the calf sizing to adjust for winter vs summer socks without getting a big lump in your pant leg. Easy in & out. Also, unlike other Italian boots they're almost pre-broken in and do not signal your approach with squeaks and squawks :) I still have my BMW boots but almost exclusively wear these.

Lone_RT_rider
My opinion is they'd work just as well on an RT as a GSA.

Danny, those look like a good option for an RT. The one thing I'm sure you remember is the kick plates. If you have tons of plastic based protection on your ankles, this will scratch the living daylights out of those kick plates. At least, that's what happened to both my R12RT and my R1100RT. YMMV.

With that said, it looks like the protection on those boots is on the outside, not the inside of the ankles. Those should work just fine! :thumbsup:

Shawn

I'm a big fan of Sidi On-Roads. Have my second pair now for 5 years and the first pair were older than that when I gave them to my son. Sympatec is still a viable and quality liner. I remember when Sidi used to advertise them by soaking the boots in a tub for 24 hours and showing that they were still dry. The repair of the sole is around $75 and there are authorized "resole outlets" that can be found on the web.

Speaking of On-Roads, my brother has a pair that he has worn maybe 6-7 times and want to sell them because he bought size 9.5 and shoulda got a 10. I tried to sell them on Craigslist for him @ $150 but those buyers are looking for $15 boot. Message me if your interested.

My choice is a pair of boots made by Corbin... (Here's mine)

D04EF610-3861-45D7-981B-4F1B2A40A895_zpsvgq9kfgg.jpg

I like them because they don't look like something an alien would wear to a biker bar.

I've seen them online for about $70.

Archived