IGNORED

Helmet speakers

Bud

I purchased a used Zumo 550 from a member of this forum. Now I need to find a pair of helmet speakers so I can plug in and hear "re-calculating" when I go astray.

I don't need volume control (one more thing to go wrong).

Anyone here have some that they have been pleased with and would recommend?

TIA for your advice.

I believe the 550 has Bluetooth capabilities? Why not a Sena SMH 10? Cell phone to the 550 and the Sena to the 550 will have you connected with friends and family whenever you have cell service and you should get directional prompts also.

I won't leave home without it now, whether or not that's a good thing has yet to be determined. :grin:

Pat

Morning Bud

I have a set of (I can't remember the brand) in-helmet speakers.

I seldom use them except when in a large unfamiliar city with lots of road & direction changes (that way I can watch traffic & not my GPS screen).

In any case just a couple of things to look for--

First- DO get an inline volume control- changing the volume on the 550 itself is a pain with gloves on or if you need to keep dinking with it. You WILL need to play with it as it will be too loud at 20 mph & too soft at hi-way speeds if you don't.

Next- try to find speakers that are smaller than the speaker cut-outs in your helmet. Helmet speakers need to perfectly centered on your ear cannel to work without being turned way up. If a little smaller than the cut-outs you can re-position them until they are centered.

I believe the 550 has Bluetooth capabilities? Why not a Sena SMH 10? Cell phone to the 550 and the Sena to the 550 will have you connected with friends and family whenever you have cell service and you should get directional prompts also.

I won't leave home without it now, whether or not that's a good thing has yet to be determined. :grin:

Pat

Just about out of M/C farkel funds. :cry:

Bud, See if you can rig up some of the cheap headsets like folks use at the gym.

Given that the funds are running low, something like Uncle Beemer suggested should work just look for a pair that will be easy to separate the speakers and still have enough wire to reach both sides of the helmet. Adding a length of cable is just about impossible due to the very thin wire gauge.

As for an in-line volume control, I've used the first one below for many years. in any case try them out with gloves if possible.

volume control

volume control

Just bite the bullet and get a cardo scalarider or similar system. Your Zumo will have a slot for a micro SD card so fill that with music and it will play to the headset via bluetooth like an ipod. The GPS will interrupt the music with instructions and your mobile will also cut the music so you can chat to someone if in coverage.

First phone call I had was while I was on the Ducati and was asked by the caller why I was shouting :) It works that well. I was shouting cos I couldn't hear myself :)

Mine has an FM radio in it and I can intercom to my son on his bike, we bought a pair, up to a kilometer away, terrain dependent. Best accessory I ever bought for the bike in my opinion.

Good advice, I'm sure.

But there are no more bullets left to bite at the moment.

Bike kitty is rock bottom right now so I will just put on the new tires and ride. :thumbsup:

I got the picture. I was stupid/smart enough to go joy ride an R1200 Police bike 2 weeks ago and really didn't want it as we are off to New York next week. I offered $5K, way way under his target, he rang the other day and took the offer. How do you knock, back an 06 R1200 for $5K, I had to find the cash. Luckily I already have the holiday money in $US. Hope I don't run out :)

If you just need speakers for directions and not music, just get one of those old fashioned single ear buds like they use to make for transistor radios. About $1 I think.

Music, another story altogether. I never found speakers that I like, so I went with cu$tom fitted Big Ear buds.

I can hear! I can hear.

Thru Doug's generosity, :clap::thumbsup::wave: I have speakers in time to install before my trip!

Gotta love Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

I bought an inexpensive KOSS headphone set at a local store and removed the speaker drivers from the ear pieces. Carefully unsoldered the wires and soldered in a pigtail for a 3.5mm female cord from Radioshack or somewhere. They work pretty well in my Schuberth helmet when connected to my Zumo 550, even with foam ear plugs in. Especially useful in a strange city when going slow and I don't need the ear plugs and just want navigation instructions. I've since replaced the 3.5 mm pigtail with a female plug permanently attached to the side of the helmet. I prefer this to Bluetooth for simplicity.

Helmet speakers just don't work, earbuds do

Ear buds kept pulling out every time I put my helmet on, they just don't work.

Archived