IGNORED

BMW tank bag sheepskin

Dave P

Hi all! 1100RT. I've got an OEM R1100RT tank bag with the sheepskin (I think it's sheepskin) lower pad. I've got new paint with new clearcoat about 6 months ago.

I'm nervous about putting that sheepskin pad on my new beautiful clearcoat. The sheepskin, being kinda old, isn't as buttery soft as it probably was years ago. Feels a little bit scratchy actually. Has anyone ever cleaned / refreshed one of those sheepskin pads? Maybe now that the clear has hardened up, a good coat or two of wax is all I need? It's a nice bag, I'm just nervous about using it!

Thanks in advance! Dave

GrumpyOldMan

Dave,

There are many specialty products for cleaning or washing sheepskin and some are pricey and/or hard to find.

I have on several occasions washed sheepskin in the washing machine on delicate cycle with cool/cold water using generic baby shampoo with excellent results. Spin partially dry on cold setting. Hang to fully dry (in shade). The lambskin will look as good as new (assuming the lambskin is not falling apart before you wash it).

Regards,

Erwin

Erwin- thanks for the note. I thought about just bucket washing it with some sort of gentle detergent, gentle hand agitation. It's not falling apart, just doesn't feel real soft. Maybe it's not supposed to feel real buttery soft. Dave

Archived