IGNORED

2-piece vs. 1-piece?

Malthound

After messing around with various off-the-rack jackets and pants that I've never been totally satisfied with, I'm considering purchasing an Aerostitch suit. Most of my riding is fun weekend stuff in the Colorado Front Range - 100-500 mile days, with a few overnights a year thrown in. I like the ease of use of overpants since I can easily take them off for lunch breaks and the like. The riding around here can be hot, especially at the lower elevations and you can always run into the occasional rain shower, with most not lasting more than several miles/minutes. My initial perception of 1-piece suits were that they would be hot and kind of a pain to take off or put on, but they seem to be incredibly popular. I'd like to avoid having to purchase several 'special-use' pieces of gear and stay as close as possible to having one all-around setup that works well for most things - i.e Day-long summer rides but still effective for a long weekend or multi-day cross country. One positive, being a skier I have no shortage of inside layer clothing.

So:

Can I get some perspective of the 1-piece suits (specifically the R3) vs a 2-piece setup?

2 piece typically more versatile. Less leak prone. Aerostich folks tell me anyway. 1 piece maybe easier as an overgarment for commuters. I felt the 2-piece Roadcrafter fit me better with greater flexibility/mobility. Being only able to afford one, I'll go with the 2-piece once I have it $aved up.

YMMV / YRMV, my experience limited to fitting at Aerostich Pop-up events.

I've never worn a one-piece Roadcrafter but I've had a two-piece for years. I've always worn it with the bib attachment which has shoulder straps. I like the versatility of it such as being able to take just the jacket off at a lunch stop or something like that. Great set-up in the rain as well. If I were commuting on a bike, I would probably consider the one-piece suit.

I have used my first 2pc RoadCrafter for over 230,000 miles and finally last year decided to order a replacement.

As I had a get off last August that did way more damage to me then the suit, broken collar bone and shoulder blade (no garment could have prevented that). I decided to order a new RoadCrafter this spring.

First I considered a 1pc, but after doing the sizing thing and figuring the alterations, it became apparent it would be cheaper to buy a 2pc and only shorten the sleeves, instead of the sleeves,legs and torso.

You can mix and match the sizes, like 42 Short pants and a 44 tall or standard jacket, etc.

As for use, I always wear my 2pc as a 1pc, and just step out of it at lunch or longer breaks.

As for hot weather, I have used it as hot as 116 degree F. It's a mental thing. Just open the front zipper and shove a 5 lb bag of ice in there and you will stay cool. Guaranteed.

Back in 2002 I was at the factory trying on the roadcrafter and a Darien, had to make a decision and went with the Darien for versatility. I had it tailored to fit me at the factory and 12 years of rain,mud, snow and road grime and it still works as advertised. LDComfort for the base layer and add layers as needed. When the temps get cold I layer with the heated gear and enjoy the ride!

:thumbsup:

TracerBullet

I have the one piece. I really like the easy on and easy off. It really is less than fifteen seconds or so. I have never had a leak. Maybe I am the lucky one.

I also have Motoport air mesh Kevlar which is pants and jacket. I would grab the RC before the Motoport more frequently

I am sadly sending back a suit I just got. My body is different than most so the fit is not 100%. I called and told them, they then recommended that I return the suit and request a 42 short as the regular was too long in the torso. Hopefully it will fit - the quality and craftsmanship were excellent. I will add, since it is so very hot here six months out of the year, the suit will be my primary fall/winter/spring outfit.

A two piece can be zipped and used as a one piece, so you can use it either way.

Did you consider the Aerostich Transit leathers? I bought a set when they first came out, before the price went up. Comfy, great fit, waterproof beyond my expectations, though they lack all the Captain Kangaroo pockets of the Roadcrafter.

I am sadly sending back a suit I just got. My body is different than most so the fit is not 100%.

I had Aerostich send sample suits twice before we got it right. Cost shipping, but the way to get the proper fit over the miles. Next time, I may visit them . . .

I've had my 2-piece for several years now. I have yet to separate the two halves. I would consider a 1 piece next time.

Bought a used one piece,perfect fit, wore it for 8 years. Saw a brand new, hardly used 1 piece on ebay, got it for 545, same size,perfect fit. Sold the old one for 300. Use it year round. I find that above 90 degrees, I get uncomfortable even with the vents open. Then again I'm on the road early,and usually stop for the day by noon, 1300 at the latest. Someone mentioned 15 seconds, I can name that tune in 12 seconds.

2-pc Roadcrafter. Great protection. Zips together and becomes a one-piece. The jacket part is useful to wear as needed when walking around town, to visitor sites, etc when it's cold and/or rainy. I sometimes wore my Draggin' Jeans with the Roadcrafter top.

Lots of folks like the Darien jacket and pants but they do not provide the same level of protection as the Roadcrafter.

After 12 years I replaced the Roadcrafter jacket with an Olympia AST - less money, better ventilation, but not the same build quality.

Just my opinion (which my wife will tell you ain't worth much)

pete

I'm fond of the 2pc. I jettison the pants when it's unbearably hot, but I spend a lot more time in the cold and wet (or at least it seems that way). I could see a 1 pc being useful, but a 2 pc would be better for long trips (multi-day, multi-week). I don't know that there are any real drawbacks to the 2 pc. zip them together and it behaves like a 1 pc.

Do what I did when ordering: Order a couple, maybe 3 sizes in random colors. Whatever they have on the shelf. Put them on, sit on the bike, put on your insulation layers, all that stuff. Then send them back and order the size that fits you the way you want it to. Worth every penny of extra postage. :-)

I enjoy a Darien which is two piece. never leaks, easy on and off. it will hold ten pounds of ice in the jacket and pants pockets. Great way to travel the desert. The ice melts, all the water evaporates out the front. The gor tex keeps me dry. Ice will last 30 to 60 minutes, quality of ice and temp determines time. Their liner adds a great deal of warmth. If you ride in to Duluth you get 10 percent off. Great reason for a two day ride.

I have the one-piece and am happy with it. Very easy on/off and comfortable.

One point that nobody has made is that if you're sporting a big gut a two-piece will be much more flattering to you. IMO, fat guys look really awful in RC one-piece suits because they really emphasize the gut.

Archived