IGNORED

Get 'em while they are hot!

Blind Squirrel

I doubt it. This is one tech helmet that's going to have to do a reboot, and I'm not talking about technology. You can't get anything from them regarding sizing, other than a chart. Nothing about round head fit, oval head fit, long-oval fit. What does it weigh? What's the peripheral vision like? Can I see/feel the technology working before I buy? The thing costs a fortune, and they're not letting you personally experience it before they get your cash.

Second, they want to go to market straight off the internet? If that were the case, given the abundance of online helmet retailers, not a single dealer would be stocking any helmets. But even if dealing with a cheap $99 helmet, people want to hold it, feel it, try it. Where they buy is another decision.

I'm afraid these are a bunch of Millenials who think everything takes place online. Discussions take place online. Action (sales) takes place when a tactile impression and personal experience (i.e. perceived value) exceeds the price requested. And the higher up you go on the price chain, the more that's true. The technology may be great. The helmet may be great. Great success is wished upon them. But after the early adopters, they're going to have a tough time getting those who need convincing, convinced, unless they bring it to the street level.

[/my $.02]

I'm afraid these are a bunch of Millenials who think everything takes place online.

Maybe, but I'll bet their target market is probably the younger generation who eat up this type of tech. 300,000 iPads were sold the first day, online. How many of those people actually saw one, in person, before they plopped down $700? A helmet is not an iPad, true, but people go crazy over this techy stuff. I'll bet the launch will be successful.

I doubt it. This is one tech helmet that's going to have to do a reboot, and I'm not talking about technology. You can't get anything from them regarding sizing, other than a chart. Nothing about round head fit, oval head fit, long-oval fit. What does it weigh. What's the peripheral vision like. Can I see/feel the technology working before I buy? The thing costs a fortune, and they're not letting you personaly experience it before they get your cash.

Second, they want to go to market straight off the internet? If that were the case, given the abundance of online helmet retailers, not a single dealer would be stocking any helmets. But even if dealing with a cheap $99 helmet, people want to hold it, feel it, try it. Where they buy is another decision.

I'm afraid these are a bunch of Millenials who think everything takes place online. Discussions take place online. Action takes place when a tactile impression and personal experience exceeds the price requested. And the higher up you go on the price chain, the more that's true. The technology may be great. The helmet may be great. Great success is wished upon them. But after the early adopters, they're going to have a tough time getting those who need convincing, convinced, unless they bring it to the street level.

[/my $.02]

I just registered and posted this on their forums..

http://skullysystems.forumchitchat.com/post/weight-shell-construction-please-7035491?trail=15#2

Guest Kakugo

Let me get this straight... you get a cheap helmet with some electronics in it for over twice what I've paid a top of the line Arai earlier this year.

Because, scratch away the gimmick, that's a cheap helmet underneath. I understand they need to cover the development costs for the electronics package, but at least they could have used a higher quality helmet considering the money they want and the fact the first customers will effectively be beta testers.

We have no clue what the shell construction is, but the FACT that they are withholding the weight info, is very telling to say the least. I'm guessing it's a low-grade, heavy as hell, polycarb lid that's been filled with every imaginable techno-gadget that could be stubbed into it.

Anyone wanna bet that it's a 4.5# brick that you could buy at any big box store for $79.95 without the gadgets?

I signed up for the Beta Test... didn't hear anything for months, and then finally an email announcing pre-order was available... I put at least 12,000 miles a year on my bike... you would think they might consider someone who actually uses a bike for basic transportation, but I heard nada...

I think the "beta" test recruiting effort was just to collect email addresses for marketing purposes... I unsubscribed to their emails yesterday morning. The whole issue is short on answers in my opinion... China would already be cloning the technology if it were really available for purchase, and probably at a fraction of the cost.

Count me out as of yesterday...

I also equate this to the "early" multi-function Copier/Fax/Printer/Scanner units.. As soon as 1 element died (which happened far too often), the rest was suddenly a worthless brick.

Now; consider that pretty much any serious long range rider already has a top quality GPS, comm units, and most likely already has everything well synched up. Hell, I update maps & firmware monthly to have the most up to date onboard systems.

Sooooo, if the GPS unit fails, the entire concept is pretty much rendered fubar. Add to that, the #1 element of Bluetooth is for intercoms, but they haven't designed that aspect into the unit. Seriously, wtf??

This entire concept is really just a clusterf*k, because it's looking like the #1 most important aspect (helmet construction & weight) is the ONLY thing that the company appears to be ignoring any questions about..

This entire concept looks to be a techno-geeky solution to a problem that didn't exist!

This entire concept looks to be a techno-geeky solution to a problem that didn't exist!
I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. However, the all-in-one nature of the system and the lack of info on a host of things like how do I update the maps, can I load routes & waypoints to it, how does the helmet stack up against their premium competitors, can I ride for 18 hrs without a recharge, etc gives me pause. The potential ability to not have to look down to the dash to see the GPS is something I'm interested in - especially in bright light situations where the sun can often wash out the Zumo or as I age and my glasses need glasses to see at that mid-range distance :)

The other killer for me is that it's not modular. A full-face is out for me due to issues with putting them on/taking off with glasses on.

Add me to the skeptics. Conceptually, I like the incorporation of these features. But, I think Fernando possibly hit the nail on the head--this is a group of young tech-oriented types who don't understand the fundamental criteria that a helmet has to meet before it even appears on a rider's roster of possible purchases.

There's no info regarding construction materials, weight, padding, noise management, DOT or CE certification, warranty, etc., etc., etc. You know . . . the fundamental stuff that might give you a hint that this thing can do what a FLIPPIN' HELMET IS SUPPOSED TO DO!

As I scan the Skully forum, the only information I see being shared is info regarding the OS, camera operation, and colors. :dopeslap:

I understand that I'm a geezer, but I do know the difference between Bluetooth and bluefin tuna. I'm way less than convinced that this is a viable product.

I just dug up some more info from their website, which was pretty burried at the bottom of the front page of their website due to the manner in which it was designed.. Scroll to the BOTTOM to see renderings and a pic of the white helmet with opened visor. :-/

It absolutely *IS* a polycarb shell which relys on the foam liner to protect your head, rather than being a multi-layer fabric (fiberglass, kevlar, carbon) designed to delaminate the layers and absorb impact while the foam liner asists in impact absorption. Polycarb transfers the shock to the liner, period!

Also, while there is no telling who is actually going to be manufacturing the helmet, the breath guard is identical to those manufactured by HJC, and since most companies have their own proprietary designs......? ;-)

This entire concept is really just a clusterf*k, because it's looking like the #1 most important aspect (helmet construction & weight) is the ONLY thing that the company appears to be ignoring any questions about..

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. I doubt the techno-geeks buying this helmet rank construction and weight higher than the GPS function. Maybe they should, but.

And some might say the GPS on your bike is a techno-geeky solution to a problem that didn't exist. Heck, some might say the fuel injection and Motronics on your bike were techno-geeky solutions to problems that didn't exist.

I'm still trying to figure out the problem that my ABS servo pump fixed?

Being an ADV rider, I use my GPS for everything... Things like locating fuel stops, restaurants, hotels, bike shops, etc. Their integrated unit wont do that for you without user input.

I've been in storms so severe before, that I was literally lost on roads that I drive on a regular basis, and had to use map zoom to locate myself in regard to geographic location. Without a touch control interface, have fun with that! ;-)

I'm afraid these are a bunch of Millenials who think everything takes place online.

Maybe, but I'll bet their target market is probably the younger generation who eat up this type of tech. 300,000 iPads were sold the first day, online. How many of those people actually saw one, in person, before they plopped down $700? A helmet is not an iPad, true, but people go crazy over this techy stuff. I'll bet the launch will be successful.

Very true. But the iPad came from Apple, a VERY known quantity. Imagine if this helmet were from Arai or Shoei. I think it would stand a much better chance.

As for the launch, I'm with you. Early adopters and the techno crowd will make the launch successful. It's what follows the initial pipeline fill that has me concerned for them. I wish them the best. But I don't see it having a great deal of Level 2 pull-through. Not without them addressing the more conventional concerns about helmets (i.e. sizing and fit, weight, materials/construction and quality). And not without having it available, somewhere, for people to try on and see for themselves. Without that, I'm afraid it's gonna have very short staying power.

We'll just have to wait and see.

There's no info regarding construction materials, weight, padding, noise management, DOT or CE certification, warranty, etc., etc., etc. You know . . . the fundamental stuff that might give you a hint that this thing can do what a FLIPPIN' HELMET IS SUPPOSED TO DO!
None (or almost none) of it matters much to who their target market is likely to be. If it is the younger & sport biking techno-geeks, as long as it's got a DOT sticker the helmet is secondary. The technology integration is the key. Now if that doesn't work well (like how do I get it to find the nearest gas station or burrito joint) then it dies.

We should remember we are not their target market. People who blow $3K on a stereo system for their car that pulses colors and thumps passerbys on the head are more likely their target. It's about who has money & what attracts their spend. I'm surprised they don't have more high-end graphics on the helmet - maybe a little Tron-like styling. Easy enough and cheap but a magnet for their market.

We're irrelevant in that equation.

Well, says you can adjust rear camera angle w/your smartphone for different riding positions.

Guess you'd better not change your riding position or you'll get a screen full of sky/pillion/or????

Now if they integrated HUD and a cage immobilizer ray...

:lurk:

Was holding out hope for Nuviz which would attach to your preferred helmet. One of their FAQs stated they didn't make helmets because they were digital image experts not helmet manufacturing experts. They also explain their opinion of why a rear-view camera might not be a good idea. Apparently they haven't gotten as far as one would hope.

I actually envision seeing a number of very preventable accidents happening to users of the Skully, due to lack inattention because they were too busy not looking FORWARD!

Want to see behind you..? Add a set round convex mirrors to your existing mirrors and use those, rather than relying upon a heads up monocular while pretending to be Luke Skywalker battling it out in an X-Wing Fighter, while day-dreaming about incest...

I actually envision seeing a number of very preventable accidents happening to users of the Skully, due to lack inattention because they were too busy not looking FORWARD!

Want to see behind you..? Add a set round convex mirrors to your existing mirrors and use those, rather than relying upon a heads up monocular while pretending to be Luke Skywalker battling it out in an X-Wing Fighter, while day-dreaming about incest...

Actually, the concept is the ability to see behind you WITH your eyes looking forward. This is supposed to be better than moving your eyes to to your existing rear-view mirrors. And a seemingly better view. I have no idea if it actually works or not.

Blind Squirrel

I like the concept, but this is one of those things that I would not buy unless I was able try it out first, or hear a witness account from a trusted source. Too much $$$ to roll the dice on.

Actually, the concept is the ability to see behind you WITH your eyes looking forward. This is supposed to be better than moving your eyes to to your existing rear-view mirrors. And a seemingly better view. I have no idea if it actually works or not.

I understand the concept, but looking forward while watching a monitor showing whats behind you is going to conflict the brain..

Guest Kakugo

I understand the concept, but looking forward while watching a monitor showing whats behind you is going to conflict the brain..

Maybe our Air Force members can chime in, but I seem to recall when B52 gunners were moved from the tail to the crew compartment they had to be given rear facing seats to avoid them becoming sick from watching in their monitors.

Blind Squirrel

I would be interested to see what data led you to that conclusion.

Link to an article with pictures. Look at picture #2 to get an idea of what you would be seeing. To me it appears no more distracting than looking in a rear view mirror. Based on that I would also suggest that someone that is that limited may not want to be riding a motorcycle.

I would be interested to see what data led you to that conclusion.

Link to an article with pictures. Look at picture #2 to get an idea of what you would be seeing. To me it appears no more distracting than looking in a rear view mirror. Based on that I would also suggest that someone that is that limited may not want to be riding a motorcycle.

Try this:

1) Hold your right hand out in front of you at arms length, with your palm up and facing you.

2) Now try focusing straight ahead, AND, at the same time tracing the lines on the palm of your hand.

3) DISTRACTED MUCH?

Military chopper and fighter pilots receive very in depth training on Flight Sims just to be able to learn to use their HUD's, because it's *not* a normal brain response to be able to process data that way. Their selling point is to be able to see BOTH forward and rear views simultaneously, but while the technology is certainly there to provide the capability, the brain processes must be trained to differentiate.

It's been noted time and time again that a seasoned motorcyclist does approximately 30 calculations per second, from scanning to horizon and roadway for clear paths and hazards, to escape routes, to accelerating and braking distances. This obviously involves using the mirrors as well..

I know A LOT of newer riders with the $$$ to buy whatever they want, that absolutely don't belong on a bike due to their level of paranoia of everything going on around them. This appears to be the market Skully is going after, which is why I feel the potential for more accidents will exist due to an increased level of distractions. Furthermore, this same market sector should be wearing a superior quality helmet instead of a low-grade $130 LS2 helmet with a minaturized flight control system glued to the back of it, which is then repackaged as a $1500 end-all-to-be-all solution.

I spent hours this weekend arguing with my son about this exact helmet. He liked the cool factor, cared less about the safety aspects, all the issues that have been discussed here at length. No matter how hard I tried, I couldnt get him to read this thread.

It's truly amazing the extreme lack of any level of even the most miniscule amount of intellect of many of the folks on the Skully forums, that appear to be seriously interested in getting a 2nd Skully lid for their passengers so long as the Skully folks ADD comm systems to the units...

Ummm, $1400 for a $130 lid with a $250 comm set split between 2 helmets...

The so called most important selling point "features" for the operator (rear camera) will be rendered inoperable the moment a passenger climbs on board the bike, and the ONLY feature that will be of any value for the passenger would be the intercoms..

Helluva marketing SCHEME! ;-)

I'm afraid these are a bunch of Millenials who think everything takes place online

No generational bias in that statement!!! :Cool::rofl:

Guest Kakugo
I spent hours this weekend arguing with my son about this exact helmet. He liked the cool factor, cared less about the safety aspects, all the issues that have been discussed here at length. No matter how hard I tried, I couldnt get him to read this thread.

Apart from safety, there are many things that can make or break a helmet, things like lining durability, ventilation, proper fitment etc.

I think most of us are "spoiled" by high end helmets such as Arai Schuberth or Shoei because we understand how a proper helmet should be, and this obviously comes at a price, the price for proper engineering and high quality materials.

Most helmets have the same ventilation as a sealed casket, are ill fitting and after a few months use smell... atrocious. To cover for these shortcomings, manufacturers resort to the "cool factor": flashy graphics and captivating designs, perhaps with a bit of dishonest marketing tossed in. Graphics cost mush less than proper lining material.

This is another case of flashy graphics and captivating design over quality, with the added bonus of a price tag considerably larger than what I paid for an old Honda to commute in 2007.

A low grade LS2 polycarb helmet with an oversized chin bar for the "cool" factor will naturally create a noisy helmet. Ventilation has never once been discussed, but has been asked about by numerous people on their forums.

So aside from a myriad of overpriced distractions, we have the following:

• low grade construction material

• heavy (1792 grams)

• potentially very noisy

• potentially very hot

• no intercom at this point, and non-standard once implemented

• short battery life

As an ADV rider with over 8,000 miles just in May-July this summer, I want the very best possible protection for my head that $$$ can buy. I also want tunes, comms, and a great GPS, which is why I have a GPS mount on each of my bikes and use Sena-SMH-10's synched up to the Garmin-660 GPS and my i-Phone. Depending upon which bike I decide to ride each day, I just pop in my Garmin, turn on my Sena, and I'm set, period.

My preferred helmet for the past 3-4 years is a 1200gram Nexx carbon, which is both the lightest weight and has the widest field of view of any current production helmet. Ventilation is amazing (better with my new XR2 than my older XR1r), and while far quieter than *most* helmets, there is still room for improvement though a lot can be done with the pad fitment kit that comes with each helmet.

More and more Pro racers are switching over to Nexx, and since these guys routinely wreck at high speeds for a living, that's what I want MY head to be protected by! ;-)

Archived