IGNORED

Top box rekeyed to ignition

WheninRome

Not exactly a tech tip on rekeying system cases, but wanted to offer another solution for when/if you ever need to rekey a case. Lot's of great illustrations and write-ups out there on how to get the lock out. The solutions offered to rekey don't make sense to my way of thinking. Some grind the keys that are protruding which leaves you less locking power while others buy the BMW lock kit ($35). Both of these are painstaking (done it once). My solution is get the cylinder out and take it with the key in it and your ignition key to a locksmith and they charge you $20 and have it done in an hour!

The only time to grind the tips of the protruding wafers is if the lock was originally ordered by VIN (coded) and not keyed at the dealer.

Grinding or filing doesn't give you any less locking security as the lock cylinder is held in place by 1 lone wafer at the end.

Cleaning the metal bits out is important as is re-greasing.

Repositioning the wafers is very easy to do. I've talked a couple people thru it over the phone. And will continue to do so if I can help.

Your last sentence is good except that most of the time cases are purchased used and there is no original key to take to the locksmith.

Removing the lock cylinder can be done with a paper clip or of the lock is turned to the correct position prior, a small Allen wrench or pokey thing.

Archived