IGNORED

Microfiber or Chamois Skin?

Guest Kakugo

OK, here's a dilemma for you.

In the past I've always dried my bikes using chamois skins. In the past few years, however, due to a truly monstrous hike in prices (especially for high quality English stuff), I've shifted to microfiber cloths. And I am not that happy.

I have a large selection of microfiber cloths and the only one that's remotely similar to chamois skin is a Honda branded one a dealer gave me to sweeten a deal. It retails for 25€. :P

Ad I still need to use rags afterwards.

I'd like to get back using chamois skins, and price be damned, but I am curious if perhaps somebody has invented a microfiber cloth that is just as good as chamois skin.

Thanks.

I've used a blower to dry the bikes for a couple of years but still need a towel for the car and the few random spots on the bike. I use a waffle weave towel that I got from Autogeek (I think!). I can dry the Jetta with one towel and no scratches as well.

I used chamois for years, the waffle weave microfiber are just as good and far less expensive.

Guest Kakugo
I've used a blower to dry the bikes for a couple of years but still need a towel for the car and the few random spots on the bike. I use a waffle weave towel that I got from Autogeek (I think!). I can dry the Jetta with one towel and no scratches as well.

I used chamois for years, the waffle weave microfiber are just as good and far less expensive.

I have tried using a blower. Was not very happy with the results, though my Echo can hit over 200 mph.

At this point I think the microfiber we get here is not that good...

I actually prefer microfiber. Most of the time I use the cheap ones I buy at Costco. They shed a few fibers the first time or two, but work well. Griot's Garage sells a waffle pattern microfiber drying cloth that's really great. It's significantly more costly, but performs better than any chamois I've used.

Guest Kakugo
Try THE ABSORBER, a synthetic chamois that absorbs tons of water. Follow with a soft, absorbent towel anf you're done.

Excellent idea, looks like a great product and competitively priced.

If I can get over the insane shipping costs I'll definitely give it a go.

Try THE ABSORBER, a synthetic chamois that absorbs tons of water. Follow with a soft, absorbent towel anf you're done.

???

What purpose does "THE ABSORBER" serve if you need to follow it with an absorbent towel?

I've not found anything to beat a chamois for drying a car or bike. Wipe with a damp chamois and the water is squeegeed off, no spots or streaks. Wring it out and move to a new section. Microfiber is not very absorbent. It's sort of OK for polishing out a wax job, but I only use it when I've run out of old cotton undershirts.

CoarsegoldKid

???

What purpose does "THE ABSORBER" serve if you need to follow it with an absorbent towel?

I've not found anything to beat a chamois for drying a car or bike. Wipe with a damp chamois and the water is squeegeed off, no spots or streaks. Wring it out and move to a new section. Microfiber is not very absorbent. It's sort of OK for polishing out a wax job, but I only use it when I've run out of old cotton undershirts.

:thumbsup:

The Absorber works every bit as well as a chamois. My personal choice in using it is to get most of the water off with it then follow with the "dry" cloth. If YOU use it you may decide to wring it more often and do the entire job with it.

Archived