IGNORED

K1200rs seats

53Gravely

Hi all! Complete newbie here. Need some K-bike seat/riding position help.

I test rode a 2000 K1200rs yesterday and fell in love....would have plunked down the $ right there but the seat/seating position aggravated an old hip injury from a skiing wreck. This used to bother me on my interceptor back in the 80's but it would occur 90 minutes into a ride.....on the K bike it was inside of five minutes!

The width of the back of the tank/wrap around seat is too wide and feels like it's trying to pop my left hip out to the side. If I can find a solution, I'd go back and buy the bike in an instant!

Bike currently has a Sergeant set installed.

Foot pegs are on the lower setting (they also seem 2" further back than a Japanese bike would be!)

The sale would include bar extender/risers (--not installed now)

Does anyone else get this from the width of the tank?

Is the stock seat higher/narrower across the top? Does it allow you to slide back further so you can close your legs without the "splitting wedge" effect of the wide tank?

The sergeant seat seems mighty low. Are there other aftermarket seats that are narrower/higher so you can slide back and minimize the effect of the wide back of the tank?

Should I be looking at an R-bike?...are there tanks narrower?

Thanks so much for any help! Want this bike badly but no sense in buying a sport tourer that you can't ride comfortably ,

Welcome on board...

I had a K1200RS and absolutely loved all there was about it except the ergonomics. I had a local custom seat builder re-do my OEM seat and it helped some. The fundamental issue for me was the "lean-forward" and pressure on the grips that I never got over.

(go figure... now in addition to my RT, I have an R1100S... about as sporty as you can get, but I digress)

I never thought the tank was the problem, but everyone has their own preferences and problems.

If you are interested in the RS you might also want to check in over at the Pirates Lair site.

Also... please consider letting us know your location.

Thanks Hopz!

I'm based in Northern NJ with a place in Southern VT as well. Need to get on my profile.

I never had a problem with the forward lean/weight on the arms with the interceptor or FZR 600 though I'm sure being scrunched up "like a monkey making love to a basketball" doesn't help the hip when coupled with the wide tank of the K

Having lusted after K bikes for years, I was really flabbergasted at how far back the pegs were and how cramped the riding position is. I figured, heck the Germans are taller than average, so at 5'10 I was really surprised.

For me to be able to get this bike,I think I have to get a seat that takes me up 2 inches and back 2 inches to get me away from the wide back on the tank so I can close my legs without the wedge effect. The simple act of holding my legs lightly against the tank is killing me. The dull pain feels like the connective tissue that holds the hip in socket when the flexor muscles work to lightly hold my legs in....not squeezing hard,btw.

Can anybody comment on the sergeant seat and what it has done to riding position vs. stock? Is it lower? Does the driver seat back force you more forward than stock? Does the stock seat have a less defined back for the driver so you can slide back? Is it higher?

Had a 2002 k1200rs for a while. The seat has a high and low position in the frame. It could have been in the low position.

As to the width, the stocker is as wide at the nose if not wider than the Sargent ... or at least mine was. The Sargent is lower and obviously has more of a shelf at the back. I don't believe it shortened up the distance to the nose vs. the stocker (but I never directly measured it)

You might think you're scooted as far back as you can, but you might not be as it becomes a pretty good reach to the bars without bar backs. They will make a fair amount of difference in your riding position. For reference I'm 5'9" around 175 and average proportioned.

There are additional peg lowering kits available, but the downside is reduced lean angle. Depending on your riding style this may or may not be an issue.

As stated, 2 position seat.

Getting in high slots difficult for many,

Sometimes takes a forward slide for slot, gentle rearward move

keeping slot level, when over rear latch/lock push down, may require a thump.

But, be careful all slot/tangs on seat are in position to avoid damaging them.

It can be a struggle the first time, or so...

Peg lowers are out there.

Don't know if Pirate still sells them.

Unless you are oversize wrt sleeve length, like me, not really any way to avoid using the MYRP on these bikes.

Hope you can adjust.

I've got oseo-arthritis in both hips I can relate.

The stock GT seat is the RS commfort seat and I believe raises you up a bit more.

Has more padding, the RS has more dish for active riding.

Best wishes.

Archived