IGNORED

Black Grained Cases

aeroscout

I dropped my new-to-me 2012 R1200RT yesterday. The bike was in mint condition. I messed up the cylinder cover and the left case pretty bad. The cover isn't that bad to replace at $225, but the case is going to run me almost $600 from BMW. I've looked at having a body shop repair and repaint, but they're going to charge me almost $400. I saw on the BMW parts list that I can get two "Black grained cases" for $400. I used to ride a Concours 1000, which had textured black cases. I liked them. Easy to clean, didn't show marks and you could barely see any road debris. Anyone ever see these BMW "Black grained cases"? Are they textured, or are they just smooth plastic intended for painting? Any opinion on replacing the painted cases with these. (I figure with these on, at least if I drop it again, I could replace for a couple of hundred instead of the $600 for the painted.)

No opinion on the black cases, but a possible alternative: Where are is the saddlebag scratched? If on the lower "corner," the stick-on BMW protection strips might cover a fair amount of the damage.

Doesn't look like the Tewksbury option will work out. He wont give me an estimate without seeing it (Understandable) and its a 2+ hour trip to Tewksbury from me. I'm going to do some more calling around here, but I'd still be interested if anyone has some thoughts/opinions on the "Black grained cases"

Earl Schieb did my cases for about $50/case. One had minor scratches, the other had deep gouges. Good color match, 2 day service.

Earl Schieb did my cases for about $50/case. One had minor scratches, the other had deep gouges. Good color match, 2 day service.

Now, you know, if it's Earl Schieb, it was $49.99

Any decent body shop should be able to fill the scratches and match the paint. Unless the valve cover is cracked, those scratches and gouges can be filled and the cover repainted as well. It's all just standard body work. I'd look for another estimate.

The pebble grain cases will probably resist light scuffs, but I suspect a drop onto pavement or gravel will still cause gouges in the plastic. Might be less noticeable than on a painted case.

Are you sure those back cases will fit your bike? The 1100/1150 line was standard with the black grained cases, but those won't fit the 1200's. I'd double check on what you're looking at there.

When I had the cases and top-box on my R1100RT (now sold) color-matched to the bike, I was told the painted cases are actually easier to "unscuff".

I think I recall seeing the pebble grained bags on an ST once (?) the graining was much more fine than the old System cases so I think scuffs would show up as easy as paint.

I googled the part number in images and it almost looks like black primer or flat black paint.

The BMW product fiche shows them for a 2012 R1200RT. They look like they would be used for custom type paint work. As if they're the basic covers before paint.

They seem to have a definite texture, which is a little different from the bike side of the pannier. Might be paintable, but not if you want the usual smooth finish.

Pictures are a bit hard to find:

Moto-Police-BMW-R1200RT.jpg

Norway-Bmw-R1200rt-Photo.jpg

The pictures are exactly what I was looking for. I dont think it looks too bad in all black. At least then if I drop it again it will only cost me $200 to replace. (I also wont feel so bad slapping stickers all over the cases)

I've got a couple of body shops working up quotes. Seems matching the paint color is the hardest part. If they can come in around $200, I'll just repaint. Otherwise I think I'll go with the black cases.

A local body shop did my left hand case last winter for $150 with the factory Midnight Blue. I could not tell the difference from the right hand case when I got it back.

A local body shop did my left hand case last winter for $150 with the factory Midnight Blue. I could not tell the difference from the right hand case when I got it back.
I did mine with Colorite paint - I think it ran $50 for both cases. Not hard. As with all paint jobs it's patience and prep that count.

Then I added Wunderlich sidecase crash bars so I don't have to do it again. :) Bet it never takes another dirt nap because it knows I won't have to redo the cases again. :/

Your repaint quote is out of line.

Working at a dealership I saw many done for $150 or less.

And a 2 hour trip based on a member's recommendation is nothing if it saves hundreds.

If you drop the bike it will get dinged.

Cheapest alternative is spray can of bedliner.

My experience has been that none of the case protectors or after market graphics kits will cover the portion of the case that gets scratched.

I am (lazily) considering using one of the removable coatings like PlastiDip, or this Paint Wrap which seems to offer a better match to the gloss metallic of my RT. If these are damaged, just strip them off and recoat.

The black grained cases were designed as an option for the R1200ST. Yes, they'll fit your RT. But why?

Don't be in a hurry to get it fixed, even though it might bother you. Get estimates. Talk to an Earl Schieb place. If the new case is $400, then you're going to have invested in a set of cases that will drop the value of your bike. Everyone knows the 1200RT comes with color-matched cases, and will want that when you go to sell the bike someday. Your savings now is going to cost you $1000 in resale value down the road. And no one wants to have to spend $1000 on a bike that will be worth $8K in 4 years.

Go for the right fix. Make it original. Or just learn to live with it and fix it before you sell it. Either way, going non-standard is the most expensive way to go.

Found a body shop that will do it for 200. Gonna go that route. Thanks for the info on the black cases. Its good to know the options.

Archived