IGNORED

Aerostich Darien jacket?

trout man

Was wondering what forum members feel about the Aerostich Darien jacket. I have one on order and intend to wear it in daily commutes and touring. Once the jacket is broken in will it fit in my RT saddlebag? Any opinions of the Darien would be appreciated.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

I must like them. After 12 years of use I retired my old Darien to local area & dirt rides. I replaced it with....(drum roll please).... another Darien!!!!!

Then will fit into your saddle bags, assuming they are not full of other stuff. Not normally the case on longer trips.

Stan

My Darien is used every day commuting and on long trips. So far it has fit (sometimes more jammed than others) in saddlebags of: a K16GTL (same as the new RT), hexhead and camhead RT's, oilhead RT and GS, and a R100M (same bag as early K-bikes). A few trunks, too. In the larger bags the Darien jacket and Darien AD-1 pants will both fit at the same time.

Try to keep the back pad straight at the back of the saddlebag, then fold the arms, collar and bottom portions inward. The arm elbow pads nest in nicely.

After almost three years which included a trip to Key West and a trip to Nova Scotia as well as a trip to the BMW MOA rally in St. Paul this year (I live in San Francisco), my Darien is still stiff, although comfortable enough when on the bike. The main zipper was replaced once (after the Key West trip I sent it to Aerostich - no charge), and the zipper slider was replaced at the factory when I visited there this year. The zipper is still a bit difficult to engage, but better than it was. I like the fact that you can wear the liner without having to zip it in, and it has been as waterproof as any other jacket I've ever owned. On the other hand you pay extra for the liner and extra for a back protector, items that come with other jackets. It's a good jacket, but I'm not sure that I'd buy another. But, I probably won't have to...

Peter

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Guys I did order a Darien in the hi vis but unfortunately it did not fit. I have a 44 in chest and my last leather was a 44 and it still fits well. They sent me a size 40. I was so impressed with the workmanship and it did not feel all that stiff for a new jacket. I am in the process of ordering another but I am afraid it will be snowing by the time I get it.

Thanks Bohemian Bob

My first Darian was bought in 94 with the liner, still good but very faded, my wife bought me a new one 3 years ago with out a liner, when I bought a red bike, this year I bought a blue bike, I no longer match. no big deal, I love the jacket, and the original liner is still good, and by the way it is snowing but I wear a different jacket on my sled.

I have two, both acquired after first user said they didn't like them for one reason or another. After I got the first one, got rid of all the leather, both top and bottom. (also ride with Darien pants). Lighter, easier to care for, more venting options.

Archived