IGNORED

bonehead

walton66

I drained my transmission today as part of my 12k, thinking I had a liter bottle in my cabinet, but noooooo! Only 300ml. Is there a substitute product that might be available at an Advance or NAPA store? with the holiday, I don't think I can have any delivered in time for a ride scheduled for Friday.

Thanks

I believe that the recommended oil is 80-90 w GL5 which is readily available at the local auto parts store. It will be listed in your owners manual or workshop manual.

My notes say 75w145 for the trans and there are some of this nature.This is the second time I have changed it, thought I would have the mess on the floor thing conquered. Allowed the drain plug fall into the specially shaped funnel where it promptly lodged in the small end of said funnel. Maybe next time I'll get it with out the subsequent mess.

Afternoon bwpsg42

What year 1200RT are you working on?

Just about any (reasonable weight) GL-5 gear oil will work in that Trans.

You really can't go wrong with Mobil-1 GL-5 rated gear oil.

What WERE you using that you didn't have enough of?

If it shifted good with what you had in it then just match that weight in a quality GL-5 rated gear oil from you local auto parts store.

For most 1200Rt's either Mobil-1 75/90 or 75/140 gear oil will work just fine.

Thank you for the responses. My Rt is a 2013 a 2013. I used 75w145 amsoil extreme pressure at the 6000mile service in the trans and 75w90 in the final drive and was going to use the same at the 12k. I got hold of a couple 200ml bottles of BMW brand 75w90 and used part of one in the final drive today. I have plenty of the amsoil 75w90 perhaps that is the deal but will go to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick up a liter of mobil1 74w145

Dirtrider;

Is it your thought that the 75w90 gl5 rated lube that I have will be ok to use in place of the 75w145 gl5 that I used last time? This is like one of those oil threads. It's not a cost thing for sure but I would like to fill the trans and move on the valves without making a two hour round trip to Key West.

bwpsg42, go to your nearest NAPA store and buy the Mobil 1 75-90 LS Synthetic Gear Lubricant. Costs around $15.00 or less. Even has a cc scale on the side of the bottle. I use it in my 2011 RT with 40K on the clock and my trans shifts better with it than anything else I've used. The same stuff works in my final drive too.

Good luck.

Of course if it were me, and I was desperate... I'd strain the old oil through a coffee filter or something, and then put it back in. (Yes, I can hear most of you screaming bloody murder all the way over here. YMMV.)

Archived