IGNORED

Ram Mount Otterbox (Or Similar) WITH Wire Access?

moshe_levy

All-

Today I used my Iphone 5C as a GPS using a route my friend texted to me. Said friend keeps his phone in an Aquabox with a ram mount on his handlebars. I tried this setup today and was disappointed that the Aquabox does not allow any wiring for power or for headphones to "sneak through" the seal to the phone. I suppose for some applications that would be a good thing, but for a bike it would be nice to sacrifice some "waterproofness" for access to power and headset, IMO.

Does anyone know of a setup or kit where one can Ram-mount an Iphone using a weatherpoof case - like, say, Otterbox - to a motorcycle handlebar?

-MKL

I use the Lifeproof case for my iPhone 4S. It comes with the cable for the earphones and has a small door on the bottom for the charger cable. The only problem with the mount that they sell for it will not allow you to charge the phone while it is in the mount. The door on the bottom will not open while in the mount.

The website says there are baffled doors or ports for the cables. That's why I posted it.

Though I was not able to locate a picture showing the wire routing. Might vary by model?

"AQUA BOX®

Features:

A unique, patented all inclusive seal and Flex-Lens

Touch through lens to operate buttons

Power, earphone and accessory cables are routed through a patented, self draining baffle design to keep moisture out

Fits any RAM Mounting System for use on Planes, Motorcycles, Boats, ATVs, Bikes, etc

Flex-Lens may be replaced in seconds if scratched or damaged

AQUA BOX® easily locks with any standard mini padlock"

No personal experience.

He mentioned Otterbox in the title, that's not a RAM. Aquabox is RAM.

The Aquabox has the knock out plug and the wires snake along a channel and a later of soft material to keep water out. I remember setting one of these up for a customer.

The wording on the Otterbox says PLUGS for the ports. To me, plugs means removable but the website doesn't mention that.

I think a Dremel would take care of the access problem. I like the looks of the Otterbox myself.

Guys-

I will take a closer look at our Aquabox. I do not see any cutouts or any other way to get cables in without either drilling a hole in the backing plate (which faces forward on the bike, meaning if it rains the case will fill up with water) or cutting the soft membrane which snaps over the backing plate (and that will just tear to shreds in a few miles if compromised.)

I'll take a closer look though.

-MKL

Are the sides of the Aqua Box flexible? Or the sides of the lid? Waking the display on my phone requires pressing the button on the side. (A constantly lit screen kills the battery in a couple hours.)

Here's a link to pic of the Aquabox feature for cables. As always, the instructions would help if they had them.

http://www.themountdepot.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/aqua%20box%20knock%20out%20instructions.jpg

That's the Aquabox - there is also an updated version, the Aquabox pro. The pro has a clear back panel (allows camera use), where the "regular" version has the opaque back panel; I haven't touched one, but there are no obvious knockout points on the pro, and no mention on the website of cable routing options (for the pro - the site does specify you can use cables with the non-pro version).

Are the sides of the Aqua Box flexible? Or the sides of the lid? Waking the display on my phone requires pressing the button on the side. (A constantly lit screen kills the battery in a couple hours.)

The entire front lens of the Aquabox (regular and pro) is a flexible film. I don't know what device you have, but on iPhones you can press the home button (on the front) to wake them. You would need to be able to press the top button to put them to sleep though - or have an auto sleep timer set up.

On the pro version, for most devices, you can access the side/top buttons as well.

Very interesting! Matt's Aquabox came with the RAM mount installed and I never thought to take that off to look for a knockout panel. I'll take a look. Very helpful as usual!

-MKL

Archived