IGNORED

Gerbing Pigtail used as Battery Tender?

bmwdavid

I couldn't seem to get a clear answer from the dealer on this. Maybe I asked the wrong questions. What I want to know is whether I should buy the expensive bmw charger and plug it into one of the outlets to protect the Canbus while on charge? Will a Gerbing connected directly to the battery cause damage to the Canbus if the battery is connected to the bike while charging? If not I could use the pigtail for heated clothing and buy a inexpensive charger as a battery tender.

If this will work what is recommended as a inexpensive charger?

Evening bmwdavid

You won't damage the CanBus as that is just the communication bus.

As long as you use a battery charger that doesn't exceed 15 Volts then you can charge directly to the battery using either an SAE plug or even your Gerbings pig tail.

Just pick a battery Tender that doesn't have a desulfation cycle & has an output that will fully charge your battery.

I couldn't seem to get a clear answer from the dealer on this. Maybe I asked the wrong questions. What I want to know is whether I should buy the expensive bmw charger and plug it into one of the outlets to protect the Canbus while on charge? Will a Gerbing connected directly to the battery cause damage to the Canbus if the battery is connected to the bike while charging? If not I could use the pigtail for heated clothing and buy a inexpensive charger as a battery tender.

If this will work what is recommended as a inexpensive charger?

My Gerbing and charger have been connected with a pigtail on the battery for years, no problem.

My dealer puts a direct to battery SAE pigtail on all new bikes.

I would have added this or a Powerlet on my new GSA,if they had not already done so.

I have several Powerlet iCan's on my 05 GS,for charging,running electronics.

No problem with either MotoBatt or Battery Tender chargers.

I have only used the newer MotoBatt charger on the new bike,so far.

SAE pigtail or Powerlet(probably more useful)direct to battery almost a necessity these days with increasingly complex bike electronics.There are few,if any,wires to tap into on the new WC bikes,without disturbing the ZFE(Canbus)system.

JR356

Archived