IGNORED

Advice on Rain Gloves

RPG

I'm not too impressed with the performance of my Held Waterproof gloves (H2O). They always get damp and depending on the length of exposure, will wick water inside.

I'm dealing with Held, but expect to replace them with something better down the line and before the fall riding season hits.

Can anyone recommend a lighter waterproof glove that will perform as expected? (Gore-Tex preferred). I hit a lot of rain in MI on my daily 120 mile commute.

thanks,

RPG

Morning Rick

The absolute best wet (like downpour wet) riding gloves I have ever found is class 00 rubber high voltage over-rubber-gloves (basically very expensive dishwashing gloves)

I get the ones with long cuffs so they come way back up over my jacket arm cuffs.

I wear those 00 electrical insulating rubber gloves over simple brown jersey cotton work gloves.

I have yet to have a wet or cold hand in any monsoon I have ridden in.

400_zpsd1f86685.jpg

The absolute best wet (like downpour wet) riding gloves I have ever found is class 00 rubber high voltage over-rubber-gloves (basically very expensive dishwashing gloves)

I was going to say rubber is best. Many like Aerostich Triple digit rain covers, however I don't have any experience with them.

I do have a pair of Outdoor Research (OR) waterproof over mitts in the bag, but they never been tested. I avoid them because they likely make it difficult to ride. Often I let my hands get wet during commuting. My heated grips and/or heated gloves help keep my hands warm.

Thank You Gentlemen,

Eddy, have you tried contacting Held? I did and just got this reply. I'm going to pursue it and see what they say.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your support of the Held brand, and for taking the time to contact us. Because of the unique nature of the Gore-Tex product, they have asked us to send all performance related inquiries to them directly. They have the capability to test them and are in the best positon to help you with any specific product care tips.

Gore-Tex

1-800-4673839

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/customer-service/contact-us

I’m sure they can help you, but please feel free to let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Phil Chapman

Technical Support Manager

Schuberth North America

Held USA

27111 Aliso Creek Road #175

Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

T: 949.215.0893 | F: 949.215.0469

I'm a great believer in the Aerostich Triple digit rain covers -- pack small, good ability to do/grab things like pocket zippers, and no need to ask my riding gloves to be "jack of all trades" with H2O resistance added to the tasks. Once every 4-5 years I spray them with Scotchguard to renew the water-proofness. Aerostich also offers a cool-weather version with a lining.

I don't know if they are available in the US, but I've recently bought a pair of Dane Tyril Gore-Tex X-Trafit gloves.

Very impressed with them so far, and they are very easy to put on, a major issue I've always had with all waterproof gloves I've had so far (Held, Dainese, Rev'it etc).

Given they aren't that expensive either, I would recommend them in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

Look at your arm,hand relationship in normal riding position.Is hand level with or lower than arm?

Are you wearing gloves inside or outside of jacket?

The wicking you describe,is it starting from glove itself or from water coming down sleeve and into cuff of the glove?

Is the jacket wrist closure tight on the glove,if you wear glove inside sleeve?

Is there a rain gaitor built into the jacket sleeve?

As you can see and maybe have already experimented with,there are lots of variables for water ingress into gloves,besides glove failue itself.

I have Held Warm n Dry gloves with GoreTex liner,they have so far proven to work as advertised.

The Aerostich Triple Digits may be the answer if you are otherwise happy with your gloves.

I have a pair and they stay in jacket for times when I'm not carrying the Warm n Drys.

JR356

I had the aerostich triple digit and did not like them. Yes they were waterproof but I had difficulty holding the throttle. They were too slippery. I use BMW summer rain gloves or winter waterproof gloves. Hands always stay dry. You need to synch them down tight in your jacket otherwise when you stop and put your arms down, water can run down your jacket sleeve into the gloves.

I'm a great believer in the Aerostich Triple digit rain covers -- pack small, good ability to do/grab things like pocket zippers, and no need to ask my riding gloves to be "jack of all trades" with H2O resistance added to the tasks. Once every 4-5 years I spray them with Scotchguard to renew the water-proofness. Aerostich also offers a cool-weather version with a lining.

+1 on the Stich triple digit rain covers.

Doug

Unless you're using a scuba diver's dry suit, all gloves have one great big hole in them (the one where you put your hand). Goretex, leather, synthetic, tuck the sleeve in, tuck the glove in, cheapies or top drawer; I don't care what you do - water will get in there one way or another.

The only real solution to riding in wet weather (come to Seattle for a winter if you don't think I know what I'm talking about), is to bring a spare pair of dry gloves.

Either that or buy a Subaru. :wave:

True, 1 pair isn't enough. I dislike dedicated rain gloves because, while they may be hard to get wet, conversely, they are also hard to get dry. My solution is to pack 2 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of wool or polypropylene glove liners, and a pair of Aerostich triple digits. The glove liners can be dried in a short time by holding them over the vent from a hand dryer in the bathroom of a service station. At the end of the day, set the wet gloves somewhere to dry out as much as possible, and start the next day with a pair of dry gloves.

If you're lucky, you won't get more than 2 days of non-stop rain in a row. :D

I had the aerostich triple digit and did not like them.

+1

They were stashed in the trunk a couple years until I gave them away in frustration. The fit was kind of weird, the finger part was ok but it seemed the hole to put your glove through was too small. You have stop to put them on, and if you've gotten your gloves wet already, what's the use? And if you're prepping for a storm, wouldn't dedicated rain gloves be better than an additional 'over glove'? The material is slippery nylon that produces a slipping not only between the riding glove and the TD glove, but an additional layer of slip between the TD glove and the controls. That lost touch with the control was really a bigger deal than I thought it would be. And being a Trek fan I thought I could do the triple digit... I was wrong. If it were a dedicated glove maybe, but an overglove...? No. Have gone through several 'rain' gloves looking for something that works. A pair of Teknic Freeway Waterproof Gloves from RevZilla, were not and RZ replaced them with FirstGear Fargo gloves. They've gotten complaints that the liner gets wonky making it difficult to get them on or off with wet hands. But the waterproof liner that makes them difficult is 'pretty waterproof'. The best waterproof gloves I've ever had were a pair of cheap, Chinese leather gloves I picked off a glove tree at a bike shop 12 years ago. They were a great fit, a super 3 season glove, and waterproof. They'd get heavy when soaked with water but the liner was absolutely waterproof. They quit being waterproof a couple of years ago and I've suffered ever since. They're still comfortable and a great 3 season glove (except when raining) so I keep them, but because they're not brand name and it's been over 10 years, I can't find them again (can't even find a name on the glove). That's probably more irritating than not being able to find a helmet with a visor that won't keep water out in a frogchoker.

good luck

And like saddles and oil...

love my triple digit gloves.

Excellent in the rain and great for wearing in cold weather as it defeats wind effect and adds warmth.

in winter I just leave them on those gloves.

That is in addition to 3 other pairs of winter and Gerbings so the triple digit winter set up is sort of a fall back for unexpected coled (I also carry silk glove liners and the 3 layers make it warm).

It may be hand size or grip condition have an effect.

I have grip puppies and XL glove size.

They pack small, light, and beat the heck out of not having a rain glove with you, IMO.

I have 2 dedicated cold weather waterproof gloves and one regular weather rain gloves but the triple digits are my ace in the hole.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I have BMW ProSummer gloves. Goretex lining for $129. Been happy with it. Rode through some heavy rain coming back from Finger Lakes rally a couple of weeks ago and wore them through last year's record rainfall in June. Kept my hands dry. They felt slightly damp inside but my hands weren't pickled so I'd call it dry.

Some good ideas here...

Then there's the budget road (my road)

LINK

I bought the 2XL size and they fit over any of the gloves I use. No Slip grip on the bars and completely waterproof.

They are not however, for the fashion conscious... ;)

Archived