IGNORED

riding in the rain?

greenrider

I'm posting this on this sight because I'm not sure if its all bikes or just the BMW R1100RT. I have never had any other bike and only been riding for a few years.

I actually like riding in the rain but the issue I have is being able to see. I have a Shark helmet which I can have as full face or flip up, which is the way I prefer.

If I have it down the wind seems to push up from the bottom and fogs up the visor. If I have it up there is enough water that come through under the windshield or up through the forks that it hurts on the face.

And to make things worse I have glasses.

It seems if I have the helmet in full face position and the windshield down halfway it works best from fogging up but this most uncomfortable.

How do you guys do it?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi greenrider,

Which Shark helmet do you have? Some Shark helmets have pinlock visor capability. A pinlock insert is a visor-on-visor that eliminates fogging.

Otherwise...

My previous helmet (not a flip-up) was a Scorpion EXO. Scorpion helmets have an anti-fog coating on the inside of the visor. It worked very well.

My current Shoei helmet does not have an anti-fog coating. It fogs up very quickly. I keep the vents open and the shield open slightly to reduce fogging. However, when it's cool and rainy, it's a battle to keep it from fogging. There are pinlock visors available for my Shoei, I just haven't bought one yet.

Hi Greenrider

I have a Shark evo 2 and if im riding in the rain ( and I do that a lot here ) using it to commute approx 500 miles per week.

When its raining I always ride with the helmet in Full face mode and the visor cracked open on the first notch and I use an antifog spray on the inside of the visor & also on both sides of my glasses.

This reduces the fogging to an absolute minimum, you might also check that you have the vents in the open position on both the chin bar and on top of the helmet as its easy to catch these with gloved hands and have them pop closed.

You dont say if you have a Std screen or an aftermarket bigger screen, the larger sceens can exacerbate the situation reducing airflow to keep the visor clear.

Hope this helps

As stated, pinlock works great and insert is replaceable.

I adapted quickly to it on previous helmets.

Current helmet has anti-fog visor.

Needs replacing but did worl fine until recently.

Have also used anti-fog stuff that skiers use.

I'm sure there is better but I had success with Cat Crap.

Some folks use liquid dish soap.

There are solutions and you don't have to ride in a fog.

Reply to a couple of your questions

I have a shark evoline 3 helmet.

It is the standard windshield.

I will try some of your sudgestions.

I have tried having it in full face position with it open 1/4" but seem to get a little water in through the crack or the vent. And when I'm at a stop light it fogs up, and if I open the visor my glasses get rained on.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have a shark evoline 3 helmet.

The Shark Evoline 3 doesn't have pinlock available.

It does have an anti-fog coating on the inside of the visor. Vigorous cleaning can remove that coating. You could try replacing the shield if you think there's a chance that the coating has been removed.

My standard program is to ride with a full face helmet, and crack the face shield a bit so I get some air flow. Interestingly, I get more wind blowing around in a bad way inside the helmet if I crack it open just a little. When I open it more (about 1/3 open), it changes what the wind does inside, against my face, and it improves quite a bit.

Also fiddle with the windshield on the bike. Moving it up or down will change the way the wind blows around your head. Experiment by removing it completely, and see what that does to the wind. Sometimes just a different size windshield or position will fix the problem.

Invariably, I get water droplets blowing in around my face. I gave up a long time ago trying to keep everything dry inside. Just crack the visor and keep some breeze going to prevent fog up.

What you can accomplish, of course will vary depending on the helmet and the way the visor works, how tall you are in relation to the windshield, the speeds you ride, etc. etc.

My standard program is to ride with a full face helmet, and crack the face shield a bit so I get some air flow. Interestingly, I get more wind blowing around in a bad way inside the helmet if I crack it open just a little. When I open it more (about 1/3 open), it changes what the wind does inside, against my face, and it improves quite a bit.

Also fiddle with the windshield on the bike. Moving it up or down will change the way the wind blows around your head. Experiment by removing it completely, and see what that does to the wind. Sometimes just a different size windshield or position will fix the problem.

Invariably, I get water droplets blowing in around my face. I gave up a long time ago trying to keep everything dry inside. Just crack the visor and keep some breeze going to prevent fog up.

What you can accomplish, of course will vary depending on the helmet and the way the visor works, how tall you are in relation to the windshield, the speeds you ride, etc. etc.

+1

Shark helmets have a reputation around here for poor design and materials. They fog very easily and are not indicated for those of us with prescription lenses because of the issues you highlighted.

Solution? Get another helmet. Or, if it fits under your helmet (doubt as most flip ups fit very closely to the face), get a Shoei Air Masque, preferably the old Mk1 model.

Pin lock visor installed on current Lazer helmet has been a success in riding in rain or just about anytime. Only my glasses fog until temperature differences equalize between my face and helmet. I think pin lock is the difference and perhaps not as much due to my particular helmet. I say this because many others use pin lock on various helmets and enjoy similar benefits.

You should consider a new helmet. A Pinlock is really necessary in the rain. Both my helmets were useless without it. A breath deflector or breath box also helps. The breath box velcros in place. Snowmobilers use them. You get to feel like Bain from Batman. I install mine when the temps approach low 40's.

As mentioned, Pinlock is probably the best the way to go. Although, an equally good solution comes from Fog City Solutions. It's not quite as elegant but it will work with pretty much any faceshield and it's quite bit cheaper.

I've used both over years of commuting and was happy either way. The main thing is you stay a lot dryer if you can keep your face shield shut.

Cheap solution comes to us from the military. The old "drive on" rag, bandit rag, works just fine. It keeps your neck warm(er), than ambient air. Use 200 ct Egyptian cotton and it's very comfortable. Measure a triangle that's 24" across the wide base, and 20" on the short base (whatever that's called in geometry). Tie around the back of the neck, apply whatever tension is comfortable across the nose. No vapor in the screen (unless you have a big honkin nose and you can't seal the nose up), my apologies to those that have such a nose.

Also, I use a Scorpion EX 500, not so good in the winter and pretty noisy compared to my Suomy helmet. Tie a similar rag around the head pirate style and pull your helmet over that. Very comfortable.

Additional uses:

Wrist wraps to seal out the wind and rain.

Neck wraps for the obvious reason.

Errant cable ties.

Cover for the instrument gauges so that you don't get that nasty glare at night, my preferred time to ride.

A...wipe,,, sorry, in a pinch, you do what you have to.

Respectfully,

Archived