IGNORED

scalloped tires

Dave P

Hey all- R1100RT, I need to buy a rear tire for my RT. My rear still seems to have some tread in the center, but is quite "scalloped" on either side. Rear currently is a Michelin Pilot Road. I've got a Bridgestone on the front, BattleAxe if I remember correctly, Only about 3000 miles on it, looks like it is starting to scallop as well. Is this scalloping, or cupping due to the tire, the bike or the rider? Or is that just what they do? It has always seemed odd to me that a bike tire would wear like this. Thanks! Dave

Not unusual. Braking, cornering, acceleration forces can accelerate tread block edge wear. The harder the riding, the greater the tendency to wear the edges. Proper inflation minimizes, but cannot eliminate, "cupping."

Evening Dave

Some is: tire construction, some in how the tire is used, some motorcycle geometry, some is rider, some is road surface.

Basically a motorcycle tire has a round profile so when riding straight down the road the tire is traveling on the (center) largest diameter.

As the bike leans over the tire is leaned onto a smaller diameter so the tire has to instantly speed up to maintain same road speed.

Then when the bike stands straight up again the tire must quickly slow back down as it goes back to the larger diameter center.

The continual speeding up & slowing down scrubs the tire & causes cupping or feathering.

Some tires are more prone to cupping or feathering due to softer rubber, tire construction, or tread design.

On the front tire, heavy braking also tends to wear the leading edges of the tread & if low on air pressure tends to distort the tread during braking causing more uneven wear.

Thanks for the notes, I did a little research after I made that post and it sounds like bike tires just wear like that. I must admit that I haven't been diligent about watching my tire pressure, so that has probably sped up the cupping a bit. I'll keep a better watch on my tire pressure from now on. D

Well it's just me riding, I've been doing 31 front 36 rear, but I noticed a few weeks ago that the rear was down. Sounds like even with perfect pressure all the time they will scallop, maybe just a bit slower than with air pressure too low.

Yes, in my experience low tire pressure is the major cause of what I call deformation of the tire blocks. On a smooth surface like a driveway I have even felt the vibration. I can hear a change in the tire noise between straight up and leaned over when the the deformation is pronounced.

Experiment

OK, well I guess I am missing something here- I was going by what my manual said. Seems I need to kick it up a notch.

42 front, what about rears? 46,47? Dave

I run 37-39 front, 40-42 rear. This works for me with my gauge, my selection of PR3 tires, load weight changes and manner of riding over the last 106K miles. I just changed to PR4 tires, which I found to have softer sidewalls, so the calculus may change but it's a starting point. It may take a few thousand miles to dial it in. Few if anyone has a calibrated air gauge and even so does it correlate with yours?

My guess is your tire pressure is too low. I had some scalloping on Michelins on an R1150RT, and I talked to a factory rep about it. He asked if I was running BMW spec pressures, and when I said yes he said that's the problem. I bumped them up four pounds and the scalloping stopped.

What someone said earlier about the manual specs having been written for 15 year old obsolescent tire technology hits the nail right on the head.

Archived