IGNORED

Headlight modulator

Bob Boro

Anyone install a Kisan headlight modulator or another brand on their R1150RT? Any problems? Where did you splice into the high beam wire? Within the headlight compartment or somewhere else? Plug-n-play?

Thanks Moshe!! I'd rather use the high beam but trying to splice in that tight spot is too difficult. Although the low beam modulation will always be on. I could splice into the sensor wire and add a switch but I probably won't. Thanks!

On the sensor wire, you don't need a switch.

I wire tied a rubber brake bleeder cap to the sensor cable and when I want to disable it, I slip the cap over the sensor tip.

The BMW bleeder caps as we know are tethered to the bleeder so the wire tie goes thru the rubber loopy thing.

I used the Kisan on my R1100RT. I don't remember exactly where I spliced in, but likely at the closest point. I remember it was pretty simple.

However, after a while I just stopped using it, and never got one for my R1200RT. I found the cagers often thought I was a LEO; the way their car headlights modulate. I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to "impersonate" a LEO. :S

That's the best part - the left lane parts like the dead sea because they think you're a LEO. BTW try finding one that works "plug and play" for the R1200RT - you won't have an easy time of it. Kisan's certainly doesn't work. It was one of my first R1200RT projects and I came up empty handed. Nobody has a connector that just plugs in place - BMW's using a proprietary connector, unfortunately. So there's no plug and play available to my knowledge.

-MKL

I love my Kisan headlight modulator. Looked like it might be a tad difficult so I had my dealer in St. Louis, Gateway BMW, install on the bike. Works on my high beams like a charm. But they did say that they didn't think the taillight one was going to work out, and to let them know if I got it to work.

Check again.

They reinvented the RT connector, and it has been working fine for me for the last couple of years. Shoot them an email; They will sell you just the new connector and you can retrofit.

No kidding! That's great news! Yes, installing one was one of my first projects in Feb 2010, and after hitting the wall, I gave up. I even enlisted the help of my company's engineering team to come up with a connector to help Kisan, but we were not successful. VERY glad a solution has been found!

-MKL

Moshe: I bought the P75W(?) single splice headlight modulator. It's a new model they have. I spliced it into the white wire coming from the multi-switch on the left handlebar. It was an easy install and accessible for easy replacement should it ever fail. High beam modulates great!

Archived