IGNORED

Does Gear Oil go bad sitting in garage?

paRTy

I have an unopened container of Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil that was a leftover from a bike about 5 years ago. Can it go bad sitting on the shelf in the garage or just get a new one, to be safe, for an upcoming 600 mile service?

thanks.

The guys over at BITOG know their stuff and say that 5 years is on the margin. I have 75w90 that has been on the shelf for three years and I am going to use it.

Explain why it goes bad?

It has sat underground for a pretty long time?

The additives to the best of my knowledge don't have lives, but, if am always willing to learn. Point me to the official data.

Shell has run some tests on the matter.

Oil sitting in opened containers still had its original properties after ten years. They didn't bother with longer tests.

I bought a can of Mobil 1 car oil (for the lawnmower) the local fuel station had sitting around for I don't know how long (surely more than five years) and no problems at all.

Morning

From ExxonMobil web site----ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1™ synthetic.

The above is for motor oil & I couldn't find anything on gear oil storage life.

You also don't know how long it was on the shelf before you bought it (might have been in the system for a couple of years before you even bought it)

Personally, for the little it costs & the small amount your bike holds I would just buy a new bottle of gear oil & save that older bottle for other uses.

In any case, (IF) you decide to use that old gear oil-- turn it over for a day or two before using, then shake it good before use. You are only going to use a small part of that bottle so you should re-mix any settled additives back into the main stock before using.

Morning

In any case, (IF) you decide to use that old gear oil-- turn it over for a day or two before using, then shake it good before use. You are only going to use a small part of that bottle so you should re-mix any settled additives back into the main stock before using.

I'll add a bit to that. Always shake your oil container ( no matter what kind ) before opening the lid and pouring it. You would be surprised at what settles into the bottom of a container! Might look like gunk, but I imagine it is a pretty good part of the additive package.

Archived