IGNORED

What breaker bar do you recommend for wheels?

TrickLidz

Hey all,

Looking for a collapsible breaker bar or some tool that I can carry that will help removing the lug nuts and axle from the RT?

TIA :wave:

Mod Edit: This is not an ad.

I have searched the internet for a folding or collapsing breaker bar, but haven't seen anything that looked truely useable... and what I did find seemed expensive to me. ( here is an example: http://www.autobarn.net/gorilla-power-wrench-1721.html)

What I would recommend is to find yourself an inexpensive 1/2" drive breaker bar with a solid round handle that is short enough to store where you want it on your bike, and then find a piece of steel pipe or thick wall tubing that is the appropriate inside diameter to slip over the handle to give you extra length/torque when needed to install/remove your wheel lug nuts. Simple and as small as you can get.

Carry the appropriate deep well six-point socket that fits your lugnuts, and you won't need to use/carry an extension.

You should be able to assemble such solution for less than $20.00, especially if you find what you need on ebay, craigslist, or at a flea market or yard sale.

That Gorilla wrench set on the page you linked is more than twice what most places list it for. I bought one from IPD, which is a specialty aftermarket Volvo tuner shop (which is to say, their stuff is often quite pricey), and I think I paid $25. I liked the wrench, and I think it would work ok for the OP's purpose, but I did manage to break mine trying to remove some very over-tighted lug nuts on my Volvo some years ago. (I don't know if I just have bad technique or what, but I've broken two other breaker bars and one heavy duty socket trying to remove lug nuts over the years - and I am about the furthest thing from a weight lifter looking guy you can imagine - so I don't know if breaking the Gorilla wrench was my fault or a faulty tool.)

I like you're suggested solution though, even if the cost is comparable. You never know when a length of pipe might come in handy!

josh

I just saw a review on a jeep forum that reported breaking the same gorilla breaker bar. Guess I would steer clear of that one. I think I will start verifying the lug nut torque on all my vehicles if someone else touches them. I hate it when mechanics are careless with an air-impact tool! I know my wife would never have been able to crack some of the lug nuts I have had to deal with over the years. Even if she had a breaker bar!

I have a piece of mountain bike (bicycle) handlebar that I cut off. Many of these are tapered, so you can trim it just right for your needs. They're available in steel, aluminum or carbon fiber. A lot of times, they'll have one in the garbage at your local bike shop, and they're usually very happy to pass them out for free. Indeed, if you look in their tool kits, almost everyone will have one of their own, already cut up, and well used.

Archived