IGNORED

Fairing crack

n5926g

Evening guy,s...Need suggestions as to what to use to repair my RH fairing.

Early-on, I attempted to align the screw holes on the tank,and put a 9 inch crack in the fairing...what should I use to repair this?New tank corrected the alignment issue,and now I,m down to the "little stuff"....

Hi,

You could try plastifix on the inside of the panel. I've used it to repair the little pin that broke off the triangle side panel. Works like a charm.

I have a buddy with a Moto Guzzi that had a crack in one side panel - we spread plastifix on the inside of the panel and mashed it into the crack.

Who cares what it looks like on the inside? You have to look closely to see it from the outside.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/

Cheers,

Mark

I was able to "plastic weld" part of my fairing back together when it cracked. You have to remove the paint to do it. I removed the paint on the back side and welded it back together. You can still see the crack from the outside if you look carefully. Repair has held up well. Fiberglass and other epoxy or weld type products don't flex the same as the original plastics. It will crack or fall off again as a result. Plenty of youtube instructional videos out there.

Plastic is not plastic is not plastic. Make you are using the appropriate glue, weld, cement. I believe the RT fairings are ABS plastic. I have used ABS cement from any hardware store (plumbing section) to "weld" the inside of the fairing. It basically melts it together. It does look like a bull's ass on the inside, but as others have stated, who cares.

The ABS plastic cement or JB Weld works great. A 9" crack is substantial. What I do is add screen door mesh or any other type of fine wire mesh. Ace hardware sells this stuff cut into squares in a packet. Put the goop on and then push in the wire mesh with popsicle stick to embed it into the goop. Gives it more strength.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
The ABS plastic cement or JB Weld works great. A 9" crack is substantial. What I do is add screen door mesh or any other type of fine wire mesh. Ace hardware sells this stuff cut into squares in a packet. Put the goop on and then push in the wire mesh with popsicle stick to embed it into the goop. Gives it more strength.

Or fiberglass from a roll of sheetrock tape. Extend it a couple of inches beyond the crack.

Or fiberglass from a roll of sheetrock tape. Extend it a couple of inches beyond the crack.

Fiberglass won't bond to the plastic used in modern BMW material.

Fiberglass won't bond to the plastic used in modern BMW material.

I thought he meant to embed the mesh to provide strength within whatever appropriate adhesive/epoxy/goop was being used, sort of like the earlier post about using window/door screen mesh.

Archived