IGNORED

Tire Pressure for Conti Road Attacks?

paRTy

My 14'RT seems to feel a bit "squishy"/"wiggly" in the front end when riding. Doesn't make me feel secure.

I have the Conti Road Attacks. Tire pressure cold is 36F/42R.

Should it be higher, especially in front? Shows about 37/38 when driving. Maybe it's the tires, but certainly don't like the feel of lack in control.

Higher better? What do you use with these tires?

Thanks.

I am running the recommended ( by BMW ) 36f 42r air pressure in my '14 RT. I do get a bit of hunting with the front end, especially under 50 mph . I have had the same feeling with my '04 RT. I think the Telelever might be part of that. I can say that different tires had a noticeable effect on that on the '04, the Bridgestone BT 023's were the best as far as tracking. BUT, I also never paid it much mind after a while.

I ended up using a better tire pressure gauge to check pressures. Front was maybe 1 lb. under recommended, if that. Filled to 36.5 lbs. and it made all the difference. Incredible what a small difference can make.

Not sure about the 1150's but on my 1100 for even (and the least amount of cupping) wear, I have run 42/42 for over 90k with success. Both need replacing at the same time.

In part, it depends on your braking style. If you ride a lot in mountains and use the front brake a lot, higher PSI should reduce cupping. Try 40 PSI, ride for at least 30 minutes and see if you feel any difference. Then drop 2 pounds and, if possible, ride the same route/time for comparison. Then try 42 PSI, and make the same comparison.

For all of your tire pressure testing, compare the cold vs hot pressures, with "hot" being ~8-10% higher than cold. Check cold pressure at the same time/temperature (if possible) each day.

Archived