IGNORED

Keeping warm

MT Wallet

I rode to work yesterday in a 46 deg.F temp and noticed my neck and chin were freezing compared to the rest of me. Any of you have the same problem and what did you do to keep the neck and chin warm?

Personally, I carry a balaclava with me whenever I think it's possible I will end up in such a situation.

Examples here but there are plenty of other suppliers.

They are thin enough to fit under the helmet and cover the areas you mentioned as getting cold.

Or a neck gaiter like HERE. I would look for one that that has wind protecion, as opposed to the fleece-only versions that will flow air quite freely. My cold weather jacket has a tall zip-in collar that acts as a gaiter. Looks stupid as hell, but works like a charm when the mercury drops. I do experience a few more issues with my breath fogging up my visor, so I just have to be intentional about exhaling downward when stopped, or cracking the visor.

Or a neck gaiter like HERE. I would look for one that that has wind protecion, as opposed to the fleece-only versions that will flow air quite freely. My cold weather jacket has a tall zip-in collar that acts as a gaiter. Looks stupid as hell, but works like a charm when the mercury drops. I do experience a few more issues with my breath fogging up my visor, so I just have to be intentional about exhaling downward when stopped, or cracking the visor.

One benefit of a balaclava is that the right one can actually help to deflect breath downward. I have a bunch, mostly from snowmachining when we lived somewhere that required such for daily transportation, but I use them for cold weather motorcycling as well. If I know it's going to be cold, I'll usually take a very thin one - like a silk-weight synthetic - and windproof one. My current windproof one is from Outdoor Research and molds around your face/nose, but it is the same material on the neck and chest as the head, so it can be tight. The Klim model in the link a few posts up looks like a great combination of thin under your helmet and thick/windproof where there is actually wind.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Second vote for the Gerbing heated liner; the tall neck (with heating element in the neck) keeps the neck nicely toasty in cold weather.

For the chin, consider a chin curtain for your helmet. That one is for Shoei, but other manufacturers make them for other helmets too; check with your local dealer, or search online.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

When I don't pack heated gear on a trip, I take a skiers fleece neck gaiter. Velcros in the back and cuts a lot of the airflow while retaining heat.

Other than that, there is a helmet skirt that I used to use most of the time before going 'lectric. It worked very, very well and closed on itself, with velcro in the front, once the helmet was on.

When I don't pack heated gear on a trip,
I always have the heated liner in the saddlebag. Even in July I've hit cold or cold & wet places that I've been happy to have my heated liner. I don't pack the gloves & socks until November but the liner is always there.

Neck gaiter. I've got a royal blue fleece one I'll send you for the cost of postage. How much could that be? Probably cant buy one at goodwill for that. PM me.

I have a couple,of things depending on my mood. I have a silk scarf, an Aerostich wind triangle and a BMW dickie type thing that covers my neck. Oh I'm also a fan of Buff hearwear.

Avoiding getting cold in the first place is very important. To that end I wear my Powerlet heated jacket instead of the Olympia jacket liner.

Personally, I carry a balaclava with me whenever I think it's possible I will end up in such a situation.

Examples here but there are plenty of other suppliers.

They are thin enough to fit under the helmet and cover the areas you mentioned as getting cold.

Yup. Do the same. I prefer these types of solutions versus being plugged-in. Heated grips and seats add to overall comfort as well. Seems as if you can keep enough or more of yourself warm than what is cold the better you feel all around. It is the small benefits.....

Avoiding getting cold in the first place is very important. To that end I wear my Powerlet heated jacket instead of the Olympia jacket liner.

+1

While my Gerbings served me well the Powerlet jacket is warmer, less bulky, and has no uncomfortable wires. A scarf helps also.

Great responses everyone! I think a combination of the suggestions might work well. I like the idea of a chin "dam" to keep wind out of the helmet. It's a real noisy helmet anyhow. I've thought of a velcroed wrap around for wind and noise control. Keeping warm by any method is a bonus for both of my chins. You see that's part of the problem. Too much area to protect :) I'll have to experiment so that I don't fog up my glasses and faceshield. I think it's time to put the old "warm n safe" jacket to use as well.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Once I remembered the name....could find a link.

noj skirts

I had the cold weather one and it worked well........until I went flip up and rendered it useless.

Archived