IGNORED

sun shade bike covers???

elkroeger

We are planning to move to a sunny part of the world (aloha!). Of course being from Seattle, I've haven't seen the sun since I was a kid. But I have seen a few of those little 1/2 covers designed just for sun protection. Some, I guess are some kind of stretchy spandex material?

Who makes them, and what do you recommend?

Mahalo!

I have one made by Geza gear for the Harley. They custom make the cover and it takes a while to get the finished product but its well worth the wait. On the BMW I use an old Nelson-Rigg half cover but it flaps around and is no where near the quality of the Geza Gear cover. Eventually, I will get Geza Gear cover for the BMW as well. Here is a link to the Geza Gear covers.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I have Geza on my R12RT. It has slightly faded over the past 2 years being in the sun 20% to 30% of the time. Other than that, no issues. It sucks in a torrential downpour though. I'll qualify that by saying that no one said it shouldn't do anything other than suck.....just saying.

I have a Kwikover and I'm pretty happy with it for keeping the sun off the bike.

I've gone thru two covers in two years due to commuting and parking in a sunny parking lot. My first was a Kwikover. Great idea, but it didn't last and didn't do a great job keeping water out. The second cover was a ez-touring traveler. This cover is rip-stop nylon and it fell appart this July after exactly one year of use. New England is not considered a very sunny place and my bikes go away December thru March. But the sun must be strong because it was ruining my seat and killed two covers.

Look for covers that are guarenteed for 2 or more years. You won't find a lightweight nylon cover with that kind of guarentee, because they won't last. Geza covers have a decent guarentee and have good reviews. Pricey tho . .

I ended up making a half cover out of a marine fabric called Sunbrella. So far, it is working very well. I think there is one company out there making covers out of Sunbrella, but it isn't a half cover and it is a bit pricey (not as high as Geza tho).

It sucks in a torrential downpour though. I'll qualify that by saying that no one said it shouldn't do anything other than suck.....just saying.

Are you saying the stretch fabric leaks?

The QuikOver stretch fabric certainly does. I've come out of work after an afternoon T-storm with wet seat, tank and bars when I used the QuikOver. The EZ-Touring traveler, everything was bone dry. Same with my Sunbrella cover.

Thanks for the tips guys! I like the way that quick cover deploys, but it sounds like the nelson rigg is a bigger bang for the buck.

I have thought about sewing my own out of sunbrella (or, hell, even an old bedsheet). But for $30 something, jeepers, I can't hardly make one at home for that cheap!

. But for $30 something, jeepers, I can't hardly make one at home for that cheap!

You could replace it every year and still be cheaper. :thumbsup:

Archived