IGNORED

ADVmonster Lights

johnlt

Added a pair of Model 60 ADVmonster lights to my GSA. 3600 lumens at 26 watts each. Wow, what a difference. I had some expensive Hella Micro HIDs on a prior GSA and they worked very well but these are much brighter and easier to install because no ballast transformer to find a place for. Also, the Hella Micros were $800 for the pair. These ADVmonsters are $180 for the pair. Took the bike out last night and it was amazing how they lighted up the night. I've got a relay that is triggered by the high beam so if I hit low beam, they go off. Very small and easy to install.

ADVmonster%20Lights-L.jpg

They do put out a LOT of light. However...

Here is my experience with these lights: link

I was thoroughly trashed on Adventure Rider when I reviewed them and didn't sing their praises.

Of course, for a geriatric rider like John whose rides mainly consist of putting along at 20 mph with the left blinker continually on as he rides down to the senior center and back... :lurk:

Well Ed, I can’t do much about my age; I am who I am and I’ll probably get worse rather than better until I fade away into the sunset…..but I’ll be able to see better! As I mentioned, I had the Hella Micro HID lights and really liked them. They had optimized lenses and reflectors but I prefer these. These have a 30 degree beam pattern but you can get a version with a 10 degree beam if you choose. I feel I can see a little better at far range and dramatically better in the near field. If you could see the far range better with your lights turned off as you mentioned in your linked post, I’d recommend you also turn off your low beam and that should help even more, assuming you can get over the 100 yard blind spot until you get to the high beam area. My $.02

Well Ed, I can’t do much about my age; I am who I am and I’ll probably get worse rather than better until I fade away into the sunset…..but I’ll be able to see better! As I mentioned, I had the Hella Micro HID lights and really liked them. They had optimized lenses and reflectors but I prefer these. These have a 30 degree beam pattern but you can get a version with a 10 degree beam if you choose. I feel I can see a little better at far range and dramatically better in the near field. If you could see the far range better with your lights turned off as you mentioned in your linked post, I’d recommend you also turn off your low beam and that should help even more, assuming you can get over the 100 yard blind spot until you get to the high beam area. My $.02

Sounds like they are offering a different beam spread. It sure seemed liked the ones I had were way over 30 degrees, well over 60 I would say. The 10 degree ones were too narrow for what I was after, early spotting of deer and cattle at the edges of the road at highway speeds.

As for your age...uh...um...never mind. I forgot what I was going to say. For some reason this keeps happening. :P

If you scroll down in this link Linky you can see the pattern in the pool and on a distant fence. There appears to be a secondary low-level pattern closer to 60 degrees but the very bright beam is about 30 degrees. Also on the pic of the fence, you can see the center area very bright but a secondary area out wider that is also illuminated but at a lower level.

...Of course, for a geriatric rider like John whose rides mainly consist of putting along at 20 mph with the left blinker continually on as he rides down to the senior center and back... :lurk:

So this is what old farts do when they finally retire. I can't wait to join in on the fun but it'll have to wait another eight years. :cry:

Archived