IGNORED

Nav V Route Planning

narcosis

After updating everything in the Navigator V unit with Garmin Express I wanted to plan a route for a trip I'm going on. I downloaded Garmin BaseCamp and became a bit frustrated when trying to alter a route that it generated. Found this very useful 3 minute YouTube video to create a route in Google Maps, download a KML file, import that into BaseCamp and into your Navigator V:

Much easier to create routes in Google Maps IMO.

When you get to the export function in BaseCamp, select BMW Motorrad Navigator V as the export destination. It will automatically put it in the correct place in the Internal Storage folder.

After you get the Nav V unit back on your bike, find your route in Apps -> Trip Planner

I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat but this works pretty well.

Nice. That's how I do it as well. Must check all the 'turns' though once it's in Base Camp. Sometimes, BC will try to make you do U-turns that don't make sense.

Nice. That's how I do it as well. Must check all the 'turns' though once it's in Base Camp. Sometimes, BC will try to make you do U-turns that don't make sense.

Afternoon Mike

Yes, that is one of the big disadvantages of building a route in another mapping program.

It (Google Maps) works OK for simple main road somewhat direct routes but leaves a lot to be desired when making complicated routes on smaller back roads.

About the only way to get a (useable) complex route to work on a motorcycle GPS is to import it into BaseCamp, then a do recalculate in BaseCamp, then go over the route with a fine tooth comb & correct all the little errors.

By the time you go through all that it is actually easier & quicker to just build the original route in BaseCamp to begin with.

For someone that just wants a get-you-there uncomplicated route then Google Maps will work but it just doesn't work good on complicated routes that you need to remain exactly as they were built without a LOT of work & fiddling.

Thanks dirtrider. You inspired me to give BaseCamp another go. Once I figured out to turn off Avoid Major Highways (Options-> Activity Profile-> Road Type Avoidances), building a complex route wasn't too bad. BaseCamp was plotting every side street imaginable until I turned it off.

Evening narcosis

A good way to do that is to set up multiple Activity Profiles--

Like--

motorcycling minor roads

motorcycling minor roads avoid dirt roads

motorcycling dirt roads avoid major hi-ways

motorcycling no avoidances

ETC

With "Avoid Major Hi-ways" as your only profile you will have one dickens of a time forcing a route to stay on a major hi-way without forcing you off at every other exit.

The latest BaseCamp allows you to use the function of multiple profiles on the same route.

I have a specific profile for off-road routing as well as some different verities of avoidances for other route building.

Base Camp is very versatile once you understand it's little oddities.

Archived