IGNORED

winmax carb balancer

latandatt

+1

Obviously home made manometer is cheaper.

But, bulky, can be messy, slight risk.

Twinmax bleh

Carbtune, compact, transportable, ez use, every time I've put one on a bike that was just Twinmaxed the CArbtune was used to

bring a better sync.

YMMV

+2

Had a TwinMax, now have a CarbTune II. Same or better information/accuracy as from the TwinMax, with the simplicity of a brick -- no electronics to fail, no battery to go dead or leak (I'm probably biased, as my TwinMax's electronics crapped out).

Also, no liquids in the CarbTune, it uses stainless rods so no corrosion issues, and comes with four tubes instead of two if you also have a 3 or 4 cylinder bike to sync. No adapters required -- unplug the charcoal canister hoses from the throttle bodies and plug in the CarbTune's hoses.

BTW, spend the $ and get the optional case -- protects the unit and gives you a place to neatly store the four rubber hoses.

Morning latandatt

The most accurate balancing device for the BMW boxer is a simple liquid "U" tube manometer.

They are also so simple you can easily make one at home for very little investment.

The down side of the homemade liquid manometer is your initial balance needs to be somewhat close before hooking up, & you sort-of need to know what you are doing (within reason).

A great number of us long time experienced BMW boxer owners use the "U" tube manometer as the accuracy is superb, the accuracy is guaranteed, & the reading is always believable as they just can't read wrong if built correctly.

Also, no adapters needed if the vacuum hose is sized to the TB nipple size.

Manometer_zps106ff642.jpg

SAAB93driver

I guess I'm in the minority here but I've had my Twinmax for probably 16 years or so and am pleased with it. Takes some practice to use but still overall easier to deal with than the mercury carb stix I was using. I have no experience with the Carbtune.

My Twinmax came with hoses that fit the Oilhead vacuum ports and also the larger Airhead ports. I tried a homemade manometer, it was a mess and not very accurate. No experience with the carbtune, but I switched over to the Harmonizer and balancing has never been easier.

Archived