IGNORED

saddlebag painting?

Bob Boro

My saddlebags are old & tired looking, faded, oxidized, etc:

1) Is there a product to bring back the black color to get rid of the gray, hazy look? Or would repainting using black, semi-gloss spray paint be best?

2) What can be used to fill scratches, gouges?

What have other people done?

Thanks!

Assuming you're talking about your 1150 RT system cases, Armoral or Back to Black usually does a pretty good job. Scratches and gouges are a much mor difficult task that I never attempted.

Truck bed liner works great for painting the outside shell,

and it's available at any auto parts store. Spray it on and dab it with a cloth to get the texture you want.

Link

Guest Kakugo
Truck bed liner works great for painting the outside shell,

and it's available at any auto parts store. Spray it on and dab it with a cloth to get the texture you want.

Link

That's very interesting... could you provide some brands/names?

I have a scratched shell at home and can get a matching one for cheap. Would be interested to give this a try.

Kakugo,

I believe that Line-x is only applied by franchisees, not available to the consumer. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Using the Dealer Locator page on their website, I do see some European presence, but not too much. One in France, one in Italy, none in Switzerland for example.

If you're looking for a DIY solution, Rustoleum makes a kit for that application.

If you're looking for a DIY solution, Rustoleum makes a kit for that application.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

You are quite welcome! :) Let's see some pics when you get done.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

You may also want to consider Herculiner . It is a 2 part epoxy system that will probably hold up better than the rattle can stuff. I did my truck bed in it and it is a great low cost alternate to the commercial liners.

Also, you can find it easily at many auto parts stores here. Not sure across the pond.

Guest Kakugo

You are quite welcome! :) Let's see some pics when you get done.

Given how busy I am at the moment it's more of a "if" than "when"... and truth to be told the car wrapping I had applied on the side cases is doing a fantastic job...

I had my city case lids done by a local line-x franchise. They were really beat up and had been previously painted to match a yellow R bike I had. They did a great job and charged me $60 per lid. More of a forever fix vs. the spray can. I switch them between my R and RT.

IMAG0027_zps0f9d84c7.jpg

That is impressive. I think spending $60 is well worth it instead of all the effort trying to do it yourself. I painted a set about 10 years ago with Krylon Fusion in a Satin Black and they looked brand new.

Archived