IGNORED

RT tire life

slowflyn

Looking for those riders that have put some mileage on their RT's and ride with a heavy hand on the throttle and especially those in the west that ride on a lot of chip and seal. I tried to demo a '14 RT earlier this year but the allocation of RT's in AZ where I live had sold out and then the "do not ride" order came along. I bought a 1600GT rather than wait for BMW to fix the RT's. Had the GT since June and have put 18K miles on it, great bike but, I only get 6K miles out of a rear tire and am on my third set, have used Metzler and Michelin. The PITA factor of changing tires so often is great as I often travel 7-8K on road trips, meaning 1 tire change or even 2 when I'm out traveling. Anyone having short life issues with the RT and tires.

Currently I'm in Spain and Portugal riding a '14 RT 2 up and it is a great bike. The power is better than I thought it would be and the occasional bumping into the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd doesn't bother me. Thinking seriously about trading in the GT when I get home to AZ.

The roads I ride most are Chip and Seal and yes the surface is hard on tires. My 14 RT came with Metzler Z8. I was thinking I would get based on appearance about 7k give or take. I was at a Rally in Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago, the tire looked to have about 1,500-2,000 left well hell I got home after about 300 miles of high speed riding had some steel belts showing, 4,900 miles. The middle of the tire is impossible to judge tire life on the Z8 just like the Z6. I won’t buy them again. I hope this isn’t typical tire wear for me…

Jay

Morning Darrel

That is about all I get on my 1200RT tires (about 6K).

I will usually do a little better when on a trip as the rear of the bike is loaded (more weight) so less rear tire slippage at high speeds & I usually don't ride so aggressively for most of the trip.

I have a friend with a similar 1200RT to mine & he usually gets 10K-12K+ on his tires, same roads, same tires but he usually rides with a passenger & rides W-A-Y more sedately than I do.

My worst tire for wear seems to be the multi-compound types as they step wear on the rear tire where the compound changes from center hard to off-center softer.

Jay and DR, thanks for your replies. I was hoping that the news would be better but alas, not to be. I think this will play itself out with a bit more time. Sounds like the RT and the 1600 GT both need a better bit or rubber.

This subject comes up often. You will see post with results from 4k for tire up to 14k per for tires. Lots of things affect mileage. I have been getting 12k+ on various Michelins. I say + because I always change them at 2nd service interval even though they don't need it. I live in Texas now, but when I lived in N.Cal got same results. I tend to ride fast, but about medium aggresive. I don't brake hard, and I use a good bit of air - 39/44. I always ride solo. My 2014 RT has Continental somethings on it and they are showing wear at 3k. I know they will come off at 6k as they are wearing and the traction sucks even when I lower the air pressure. I don't know if it is the bike or the tire that gave short mileage.

It's a mystery.

I have about 6,500 miles on a set of Bridgestones. They are a fairly hard compound tire and I would estimate about 12 K before replacement.

David and Randy, thanks for your replies. I previously lived in WA when I had my 1200 GT and I could expect 10K out of the PR 2 or 3's. I don't think I have changed my riding style so dramatically to eat up tires at 6K on the 1600 GT but maybe I have. If I end up with the same mileage for tires on the RT as I'm getting for the GT I will likely keep the GT. I must say the RT is a very fine bike and knowing what I know now about the RT versus GT AND if both had been available for purchase at the time I bought my current ride I would get the RT.

I'm having a grand time chasing down a fellow tour rider in the hills of Spain that is on a Ducati while I'm on the RT 2 up. We stop for coffee and he says I can't believe your in my mirrors riding that RT. :grin: It is a fine bike.

Agree with previous posts on 6-7k per set of tyres on an RT.

The roads in the south east of the UK are a mixture of concrete slab ( not so many of there left, but a few on motorways/freeways) Tarmac on larger (interstate type) roads and chip and seal on smaller or country roads.

I also tried the 1600 and loved it, but the RT just had the edge and I'm hearing the 2014 is even better ( get mine on the 15th).

Tyre life is just one factor in choosing a bike, but for me it's down on the list after fun factor and reliability and ride ability...

Enjoy Spain and ride safe

I have a K16GTL and an R12RT. My experience with the K16 is like most K16 owners -- it just eats tires (~6K). In the same usage pattern, the R12RT is easier on tires (25%?) -- ~8K-9K.

Not much of a surprise -- the K16's extra weight (>100 lb.) and extra torque is just hard on tires.

Here in old Europe I got the following on my RT from the following sets of tyres:

Bridgestone BT020 (OE): 6000km

Michelin Pilot Road 2: 9500-10500km

Michelin Pilot Road 3: 11000km, 13000km with the "B" rear

Michelin Pilot Road 4GT: 10000km on the first set

Mind tyre life has a lot to do with the tyre itself: for example on BT021's the front will be bald on the shoulders far earlier than the rear will be worn at the center. On PR4GT's the rear was worn in the center when the front still had about 1000km of life in it.

Only tyres so far that wear evenly under all conditions are PR3's. I am giving PR4GT's another shot: if it doesn't click, I'll go back to them.

I just got home from an 18,000 km trip. I mounted Pilot Road 4 GT before I left on my 1600 GTL.

Riding 2up with all our gear, we weighed 1166 pounds.

I got 14,000 km on the rear tire, and found a shop with Pilot Road 2 in stock, and changed it out.

The front tire got us home, but little tread left, and it's singing in the corners.

42 psi front and rear.

I'm running PR2's. I ride solo with little gear, mostly commuting, errand running, fun rides on asphalt. Got nearly 14,000 miles on first set, second has 5,000 so far and look almost new.

I'm running PR2's. I ride solo with little gear, mostly commuting, errand running, fun rides on asphalt. Got nearly 14,000 miles on first set, second has 5,000 so far and look almost new.

A lot of my riding is on chip seal. The best mileage I ever got out of PR2 was 6500 miles.

A lot of my riding is on chip seal. The best mileage I ever got out of PR2 was 6500 miles.

Yup, been saying it for years. Tire mileage is about 25% the tire and 75% the abrasiveness (or lack thereof) of the surface you ride it on.

Stinko001_zps3da6c435.jpg

Stinko with 4500 miles, just changed today......

I've tried all of them, from premium tires to cheap Shinko's.......my '04 RT still eats tires at 5000 miles :P

(disclaimer- I do have a slight addiction to hauling ass!)

Don J :wave:

MrDuck,

That is some gnarly wear for 4500 miles. Are those the Shinko Verge?? I've got Ravens on my RT currently and with half of the miles (2600), I'm showing almost no wear.

Thank goodness! Finally a few of us who admit that their tires don't last 10000 or 14000 miles. I was thinking it was only me. I burn through two or three sets of PR3 tires every year. 5,000 or 5,500 if I push it on the fronts, and 6 or 6500 on the rears. Going to try a PR4 on my next front to see if their 20% better mileage claim really works.

Thank goodness! Finally a few of us who admit that their tires don't last 10000 or 14000 miles. I was thinking it was only me. I burn through two or three sets of PR3 tires every year. 5,000 or 5,500 if I push it on the fronts, and 6 or 6500 on the rears. Going to try a PR4 on my next front to see if their 20% better mileage claim really works.

Well I am glad to hear I am not alone, but I will have to say that PR-3's B-type compound last longer then Pirelli ST Angel and Metzler Z-6. Testing Angel GT at the moment, but don't think they will last as long as the PR-3's. But I am sure it is my fault. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Going to try a PR4 on my next front to see if their 20% better mileage claim really works.

Betcha that PR4 costs you AT LEAST 20% more... ;)

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

I especially like that center groove you've cut. :thumbsup:

I think you copied the Dunlops of the seventies. Forward to the past, you devil. Now that you've changed out to new rubber you'll be ready for Death Valley next month.

Well, instead of asking what the heck "chip & seal" was, and assuming others hadn't heard of it either, I went to the goddess of info, Google. I got this from the OH DOT website:

"How are Chip Seals Different from Asphalt Overlays?

The difference is in the construction method. Hot Mix Asphalt pavement is produced by heating liquid asphalt and mixing it with aggregate, with the mix then spread and compacted to form a durable road structure and riding surface. Chip Sealing uses the same ingredients as asphalt concrete paving, but the construction method is different. With chip seals, a thin film of heated asphalt liquid is sprayed on the road surface, followed by the placement of small aggregates ("chips"). The chips are then compacted to orient the chips for maximum adherence to the asphalt, and excess stone is swept from the surface. The ingredients of hot mix asphalt and chip seals are the same; only the construction methods are different."

Now we know.

Except for the excess stone being swept away, pretty accurate.

Should be excess stone is strategically placed in corner apexes

to enhance riding experiences.

Dave_zoom_zoom

I've tried all of them, from premium tires to cheap Shinko's.......my '04 RT still eats tires at 5000 miles :P

(disclaimer- I do have a slight addiction to hauling ass!)

Now that looks like the rear tire of a man that is having W-A-Y to much fun! :thumbsup:

Dave

]

Archived