IGNORED

BMW Supplemental LED Tail Light - Should It Flash?

Hank R1200RT

I recently acquired and installed a "BMW Supplemental LED CAN-BUS Brake Light", P/N 71602296553 from A&S.

Their description says "To get the attention of the driver behind you, it flashes quickly four times, then remains lit in a super-bright steady state until the brake is released".

However...super-bright, yes, but no flashee on my 2013 RT. Sent a note to A&S about three days ago, no response yet, so I am wondering if their description is incorrect. Here is the link:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=55804

Looked at the same item on Sierra and their description did not say anything about flashing.

Does anyone have these installed on a CanBus machine? Do yours flash? Did you install it yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.

Note: searched the boards, but didn't find anything - apologies if this has already been answered.

Hank Murphy

2013 BMW R1200RT "Gretchen am Spinnrade"

I have one on my 2012. It flashes very quick;y for about one second then goes bright. Just make sure you ordered the correct harness for your model and year. It is pretty much a plug and play once you sort out the installation of the harness.

Morning Hank

You might try calling A&S to verify you have the correct light for your 2013 can-bus bike.

Max lists that 71602296553 for the non can-bus bikes.

Added: Max shows the 71602296555 for the 2007-2013 (K2X and K4X only). BMW XT-4 LED Brake/Tail LED for CAN-bus models. I believe you 2013 1200RTW is a K52.

Dirt rider -My mistake on the part number -box says 71 60 2 296 555. Correct harness was included in the box. Do you have one of these?

Rocketman - yes, correct harness was ordered. Do you have one of these on any of your bikes?

6 speed - yes, you are right about the installation, no real way to mis-connect the harness. I have checked this by pulling on the front brake with a bungee cord while behind the RT - supplemental light is on, brightens when brake light goes on, no flashing observed. I will see if I can have someone check over the weekend.

Hoping there is something I have overlooked - $180-ish for four LEDs is steep - may have to pop for Hyperlites instead...

Best regards,

Dirt rider -My mistake on the part number -box says 71 60 2 296 555. Correct harness was included in the box. Do you have one of these?

Afternoon Hank

No, I make my own LED supplemental brake array. I don't like flashing brake lights so mine just comes on about 1/2 brightness with the tail light then goes to full brightness with the brake apply.

......... I will see if I can have someone check over the weekend.

I'm just down the road from you (WLV).

Got a 3 day wknd starting now.

Let me know if you need a set of eyes.

[Hijack] Did you hear, see, feel the F-15 yesterday?!!! [Hijack/]

I have one on my 2012. It flashes very quick;y for about one second then goes bright.

Ditto for my '09.

I've heard you can add a resistor (?) in the line to slow down the flash. The LED's draw so little power that apparently it makes them flash exceedingly quickly.

Archived