IGNORED

Is BMW communication system only fit...

lvmyks

no, it is just that for the GT/GTL, the Schuberth and BMW Communication where in collaboration with each other. If you try to use another communication system in the Schuberth helmet and use it with the GT/GTL all the features will not work.

It's made for the Schuberth C3 and the C3 Pro in the US.

An experienced installer could make it fit say a Shoei Neotec or another quality modular. Even an Arai full face.

But then you get into liability in an accident. There's no release you could sign that would fully protect the installer if you got in an accident and your injuries were proven to be made worse by the small amount of modifications needed to install the headset in the "wrong" helmet.

I had a number of customers ask me to install it in other helmets but in a retail setting, you have to decline to protect the owners of the shop and yourself. When you put the shirt on, even the first day, your the "expert".

The system will work in any BMW that has the factory audio system. RT, K1600, even sitting on the counter.

If by collaboration, you mean BMW had Cardo build the intercom to a spec and price point to specifically fit the Schuberth, then ok. But it's a build contract. If Cardo had thier say, they would have built a system with more modern components.

The OP may be asking whether the BMW system can be used in other helmets.

In theory, yes, but it would take a bit of hacking/modification. The Schuberth has two pockets at the rear of the helmet behind the hard foam for the two Communicator packs (battery pack and circuit board pack). The Communicator also has the parts needed to easily mount the microphone boom to the inside of the helmet. So, while other helmets could be adapted, it would be something of a pita.

I've installed probably 3 dozen BMW comm systems and twice that number of Scala systems in many different brands of helmet.

It would very easy install in any major brand modular.

Pretty easy install in a better full face.

The better helmets are designed to come apart for cleaning or fit adjustment. The BILT, Shark, HJC, Scorpian, not so much.

As stated, in the US, it's made to fit the US helmets, C3 and C3Pro.

The 6 is not a US helmet. The system will probably fit several non-US Schuberths but that's not really the question.

Edited in case not everyone knows the non-US BMW branded helmet known as a "System" is in fact made by Schuberth.

Thanks to all. Riding partner has a shoei and wants to put a BMW system in it. Will let him read all post and figure out what he wants to do. Most of us have Shuberths, but there's always one.

I went ahead with a C3 and BMW Comm Sys today. Dealer gave 15% off MSRP for each if purchased together and n/c for installation. Fun ride home today.

My dealer has offered the same deal. Have you had a chance to give the sound a good listen? I am really curious how good the sound is with a Ipod and Sirius radio. The comments of some on this site have held me back from making the purchase.

My dealer has offered the same deal. Have you had a chance to give the sound a good listen? I am really curious how good the sound is with a Ipod and Sirius radio. The comments of some on this site have held me back from making the purchase.

I only had an hour to play so far but I would describe the sound as adequate but not good. It is better than trying to hear the loudspeakers through wind/helmet but nowhere near the sound quality I was accustomed to with my Garmin GXM/earbud setup on my previous ride. Let me add that I do not have an ipod so this was only radio and XM. I don't think Bluetooth can match the wire yet for consistent sound quality.

You should make sure the latest software was loaded into the headset.

Depending on how long the comm system headset sat in the warehouse and shelf, it may be due. The first one fixed a couple bugs and improved sound quality.

Also make sure speakers are as close to ear openings as possible.

Thanks Tri750. It is the 2.0 version and "we" checked to be sure there weren't any updates needed. I will adjust the speakers if necessary and keep practicing with it but it wasn't so much the volume as the occasional static noise present. I blame the Bluetooth since the loudspeakers seemed clear in comparison.

It is really too early for me to judge though. Need to get out and mess around some more.

Yes, playing with it will do you some good. So will keeping the battery up. When the battery begins to get low, you can pick up some static or fuzz as I call it.

Yes, playing with it will do you some good. So will keeping the battery up. When the battery begins to get low, you can pick up some static or fuzz as I call it.

You were right, Tri750. Fiddled a bit with speaker positions. Fully charged the unit. It worked very well this morning. Thanks for the advice and I'll ring back after some more time in the saddle. Today's performance of the RT and Comm Sys combo was impressive.

Archived