IGNORED

Helstar Helmet Brake Light

kltk165

Neat idea for a solo rider or the pillions helmet. I use the Skene Designs P3 lights and i am frequently told that they are very effective as a means of drawing a drivers attention. A co-worker was behind me on the highway one morning at dawn and could see them quite a ways back, he knew it was me before he could ever see me.

When I semi-retired in Jan. I took a part time job where I could use my bike to do the job. But it's being in heavy traffic at the worst time of the day every time I work.

Different world than just commuting to work then parking the bike.

Since then, I've installed a headlight modulator and see the value of how the Police have thier bikes painted in the UK. HI-viz yellow and a neon blue. Riding gear hi-viz as well.

Now it's not a bad idea.

The modulator, I used to be negative about but now (especially on a overcast day) it's worth it's weight in gold.

There's another brand of helmet light discussed here a few months ago. Can't recall the brand. I was pretty tempted and may still do it.

It IS a jungle out there.

this was actually done around 6 - 7 years ago. A company made an actual bulb that had wireless technology in it. You actually replaced your 1157 running/brake light bulb with their 1157 style bulb and added the stick on light onto your helmet. Of course the LED technology was not as advanced back then and life expectancy ended up being questionable. As the article noted, high mount lights are now mandatory for all vehicles, I think it is a great idea for a bike. And a helmet is not the only option, if you have a top case, then nothing says the device cannot be mounted there and on your helmet. You could have TWO. how cool would that be :-) ok just kidding, as most new top cases have light options built in. Regardless I am all for better visibility front and back.

Go to ebay.

Put in "helmet brake light" and several show up.

Obviously, some look better than others LED wise.

I can't recall, but someone big name had one out. It was 185.00 I think.

I can't recall, but someone big name had one out. It was 185.00 I think.
I've had one on my helmet for years. But the mfg is unknown & likely out of business (I got it from CycleNutz). So with the new helmet I figured I'd get a new wireless helmet light system. The Whistler one just came out and I got it last month ($125). Did a trial install and it didn't work and haven't had time to troubleshoot - I think the issue is due to the single wire controlling the brake light/tail light combo on the RT. The bike send 2 different voltages to the light - one for running (tail light) and one for braking (extra volts to light the bulb brighter). The sending unit for the helmet mount light is looking for different wires for each function.

I also tried hooking it in right in the light housing but I've got hyperlites wired in as well with those connections in the tail. The Whistler does say it has to be installed upstream of any other connections so that's when I stopped working on it - I have to dig into the tail wiring to get in before where I've got the hyperlites tapped in. More work than I wanted to do the weekend I was trying to do the install - turned it into a rainy weekend/winter project for me.

Here's a link to the one I bought. Whistler link

Archived