IGNORED

How do you carry you laptop/briefcase to work on R 1200 RT?

semimojo

I'd like to start riding my bike to work, but my laptop briefcase doesn't fit in the saddle bags on my R 1200 RT. The briefcase is a heavy-duty fabric laptop case made for a 15 to 16 inch laptop. It provides great protection to the laptop, but it's bulky. I have no need for it other than as a convenient way to carry my laptop safely. I'd happily ditch it if I had something less bulky to carry the laptop that would still give it some padding and protection. But the problem is that the naked laptop sans case won't fit in the saddle bags, either.

Well, it fits, just, but it's not a clean fit, and it's tight, lengthwise. I can angle the HP ZBook 15 laptop into the saddle bag, but it ends up being suspended in the air inside, touching the case at two points only. It's not stable. It would be flopping and banging around, which is not especially good for a laptop.

So I can't carry it in the saddle bag. It might fit in the trunk, which I've ordered but don't have yet. But even if the laptop fits in the trunk, I don't want to ride with the trunk on all the time. That's just for road trips.

The only other options I can think of is to buy a laptop backpack and wear it, or strap my briefcase to the luggage rack. Neither of those options greatly appeal to me.

So to those of you who commute to work with a laptop, how do you carry it?

Mostly use a backpack. It's a bit more convenient because it also holds accessories like a mouse, video adapter, huge brick power supply. Yes, all that stuff would fit in the trunk too, but I'd need another bag to carry it.

I sometimes use a laptop sleeve and put it in the trunk, without the accessories.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I have the large topcase(49L). My workstation laptop, in its special backpack, fits in that along with the bike cover and my rain liners. Unfortunately, that means the blender doesn't fit in there.

Gymbag goes in the left sidecase.

Lunchbox and other stuff goes in the left sidecase.

I have waterproof (Ortleib) messenger style shoulder bag with a padded laptop sleeve inside. Sometimes I cary it as the bag is designed, but only for quick jaunts; sometimes I strap it to the seat; mostly I put it in the topcase. I used to run with the sidecases on all the time and only used the topcase for trips. At some point I figured out how much more convenient the topcase was, and now I only put on the sidecases for trips or when I need to take a lot of stuff with me for a class.

i always use the top case for the computer and the side cases for overflow like my lunch and my running clothes. With my ATGATT approach to riding a backpack would be like a straight jacket. Although the messenger bags look nice...

Mine is in a neoprene sleeve, then in a business shoulder bag laying on the passenger seat, attached with a bungee net. Also Brenthaven makes great computer backpacks.

I had the same problem. My laptop would not fit in the sidecases. I priced a top box from BMW. I found out that I could replace my laptop with a faster/smaller one for less money than adding the top box.

I had the same problem. My laptop would not fit in the sidecases. I priced a top box from BMW. I found out that I could replace my laptop with a faster/smaller one for less money than adding the top box.

Exactly...the smaller laptop not only fit the side case they are so much easier to tote to meetings and such. Kept my dress shoes and sometimes even some extra clothes at the office. Trouble with top case is you'll fill it up plus the side cases and commuting in Seattle for many years I liked the light approach. Never even considered a pouch or backpack.

I stopped carrying a laptop back & forth from work. I have tablets or laptops at home that I can connect to the laptop on my desk at work (I use TeamViewer software to remote control it). I also use OneDrive to store files of current projects so I don't even need to connect to the desk machine. I only carry a tablet (Dell Venue 11 Pro) running Windows 8.1 on trips now as well. All of which are way cheaper than a tail case.

Macbook15" . If fitted on a small incase (brand) sleeve it barely fits on the side bags. But I rather have it well protected so it goes on a backpack on the 49L. Not ideal but it does the job. Plus some miscellaneous...

I appreciate all the feedback so far. It's great to see how many different solutions all of you have adopted.

I have a HP zBook 15 and it just fits into one of these:

Link

And it fits in the side case. Works very well . .

Just to be clear, EddyQ, even though that case is advertised to fit a 13 inch laptop, you are able to fit your HP zBook 15 in it? I wonder if the side cases on your 2007 R1200RT are bigger or shaped differently than the ones on my 2014. Maybe I need to ride over to the REI with my laptop and check it out. It might be just what I'm looking for.

Maybe the best idea is to just stop transporting the laptop to and from work, as a couple of you have mentioned. It is my own personal laptop, as my employer expects everyone to bring his own "tools", and therefore doesn't supply one. Security during non-business hours is virtually non-existent, so I haven't been willing to risk just leaving it in my office overnight. But it occurs to me that I could lock it up each evening in the machine room, to which access is relatively restricted.

I have no need of the laptop at home, as I access all work systems from my desktop when I'm working from the house. This may yet turn out to be the best solution for me.

Just to be clear, EddyQ, even though that case is advertised to fit a 13 inch laptop, you are able to fit your HP zBook 15 in it? I wonder if the side cases on your 2007 R1200RT are bigger or shaped differently than the ones on my 2014. Maybe I need to ride over to the REI with my laptop and check it out. It might be just what I'm looking for.

My 15" MacBook Pro, in a soft brief case, fits in the hexhead/camhead R12RT saddlebags, if I am willing to lay it in at an angle, with the lower end in the saddlebag base half and the upper end in the lid half.

The same bag/15" MBP fits perfectly in the lid (and thus also the base half) of my K16 saddlebags, which are the same as the 2014 R12RT's.

With respect to the suggestion above, while not transporting a laptop at all is a "solution," some of use have no choice but to schlep one around.

We have different bikes, but the options will be very similar.

Work requires their laptop, and I bounce between offices. Have a top case but don't put the laptop inside, instead it goes into a Kensington backpack that I bungee like a little pillion passenger to the rear seat against the top case.

It's not secure against grab & dash thefts at stoplights, but the risk is minimal given my route and local environment.

It's not going to stay on the bike in case of a wreck, but that's the least of my worries in such a situation.

It's possible the bungee could break but is low probability; and minimal risk of getting wrapped up in rear wheel such as to result in loss of control.

It's not waterproof but I have the luxury of choosing a car on rainy days, or stuffing the laptop into the top case on top of the empty backpack.

Mine goes in a Givi top case. I am surprised that no one mentioned tank bags. While it might not fit in the tank bag, it could easily be strapped to the bag. With a little creativity and a sewing machine I bet you could turn a backpack into a tank bag for easy transport on and off the bike.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. It's great to see how many different solutions all of you have adopted.

I have a HP zBook 15 and it just fits into one of these:

Link

And it fits in the side case. Works very well . .

I'm sorry, I think it is this REI bag:

Link 15" model Definitely drive over and test fit. It doesn't fit well in the sidecase, but with a certain angle, it closes. Add a fleece jacket and nothing moves. Sorry, I don't know how '07RT vs '14RT cases differ.

Sorry, I don't know how '07RT vs '14RT cases differ.

The '14 cases (same cases as the K16's) are slightly larger, with a larger, slightly more rectangular opening.

My 15" MacBook Pro in its soft briefcase will *perfectly* fit in the lid of my K16 saddlebag (thus allowing the entire volume of the inner case to be used by other cargo, in my case a saddlebag liner with tools, rain gear, etc.).

The same laptop/briefcase will fit in the '07-style saddlebag (as on my wife's '12 RT), but I have to insert the bottom of the brief case into the inner half and lean it over/outward at the top about 45* to get the top front edge of the brief case to clear the more sloped front edge of the saddlebag lid.

49L top case, also holds my rain gear, lunch, sweater and 'works' when I get the "need milk and eggs, can u get them on the way home" text. It rarely comes off my RT, the side cases go on when we 2-up it to work.

I'm sorry, I think it is this REI bag:

Link 15" model Definitely drive over and test fit. It doesn't fit well in the sidecase, but with a certain angle, it closes. Add a fleece jacket and nothing moves. Sorry, I don't know how '07RT vs '14RT cases differ.

EddyQ, I went to REI and brought my zBook. If fit the medium case perfectly. And the case fits in my sidecase if I angle it in, as you said.

That laptop sleeve is perfect. It was also inexpensive, so that's nice too.

Thank you for the lead.

Mine goes in a Givi top case. I am surprised that no one mentioned tank bags. While it might not fit in the tank bag, it could easily be strapped to the bag. With a little creativity and a sewing machine I bet you could turn a backpack into a tank bag for easy transport on and off the bike.

That's an interesting idea. I might have thought of that if I had a tank bag. I'll be looking into tank bag options before I go on any long trips. Besides the welcome addition of extra storage space when touring, I pretty much have to have a map pocket. As impressed as I am with the Navigator V, it can't completely replace a map, IMO.

Archived