IGNORED

BikeShield Application

RoyTemple

Hello everyone,

A friend referred me to this App which just became available in iOS for iPhones. It's been available for a while for Android. Anyone out there using it yet?

I have not idea how well it would work but it looks like a good idea. I've installed it on my iPhone this morning. I'll report back over time as to how well it works out but it depends on other drivers/riders using it so well see.

This assumes the car driver has the App and that it is activated! My opinion, if the driver has the App they are already "Motorcycle Aware" so it will have diminished value, if they don't have it or it is not activated by the driver it has no value. SO I think, like so many other Apps that it is an App trying to find a market. I would not bet my life on it!

It seems like a neat idea, but since it only works if a car driver and a cyclist

(motor or otherwise) chooses to install it, you're only helping the people who are already looking for bikes find the bikes that are already working to be seen. What we really need is for people who aren't looking to know about the bikes and to be warned about the bikes that are doing things we wouldn't expect.

I've used other popular social traffic apps like waze, and even when that was seemingly really popular I hardly ever passed more than one or two other users on a commute. At some point all our vehicles will know where all the other roadway users are but only when such technology is federally mandated...and all the pre-mandate vehicles have died or been banned from the roads.

Personally, I just wish people would pay attention to what they're doing. Reliance on some widget to watch out for you breeds complacency. This also goes for the backup and lane change alerts, and the like.

Focus!

This assumes the car driver has the App and that it is activated! My opinion, if the driver has the App they are already "Motorcycle Aware" so it will have diminished value, if they don't have it or it is not activated by the driver it has no value. SO I think, like so many other Apps that it is an App trying to find a market. I would not bet my life on it!

Pretty much exactly my response. But, I'll still be interested to see if those who use it feel it makes a difference.

Archived