IGNORED

Autocom Alternatives

markgoodrich

I have a Super Pro Automatic that's been problematic since the day I bought it last February to put on the GT. Now I have two new issues.

The pillion mic triggers at speeds above walking pace. I've tried all the adjustments (yes ALL of them). I've plugged her lead into the rider's lead. Her mic triggers. It's only her mic (only thing I haven't tried is switching the mics between helmets).

The other issue is that at normal listening volumes music sounds distorted...completely distorted. I've turned the master volume on the SPA down all the way. I've turned the auto-volume down (off) all the way. I've even disconnected the Ambient Noise Sensor mic. Still getting the distortion through both helmets. We use earphones, not speakers.

The unit is eight months old, have used it with and without the other, resolved issues for about ten thousand miles.

Bought it from RocketMoto, but Adam's unavailable, and I'm preparing for a trip. Of course.

This is my fourth, or maybe fifth, Autocom unit. They've all been quirky and hard to deal with, but this has me stumped. Any suggestions appreciated, but:

The real reason for this post is to glean info from actual users on alternate systems which will allow me to simultaneously plug music, Nav IV, radar detector, and have clear intercom communication. It's not terribly unusual to run for 10-12 hours in a day...less usual than it used to be, but still.

TIA for any suggestions or advice.

My LT had a factory system that worked well, to activate the mic you needed to push a button, it would remain open until you stopped talking. Since then we have tried other system to work between bikes, these also used a push to talk button. Issue there was you had to push the button and then wait before talking and then be sure to hold the button in after you finished talking or it would cut off what was said. PIA that was. It was a source of irritation (wife rides own bike) so we gave up. The whole time I kept thinking "This ain't up to aircraft standards and why is it we can't have a better system?" Hope you find something that actually works.

1. I would suggest trying the headsets with the speakers that came with it for troubleshooting.

2. The ambient noise sensor is only for the riders helmet. Plug it back in, and double check you don't have the leads crossed.

Better to have the sensor deep in the lining than out in the wind.

3. Double check the book to make sure you understand the 3 presets you have to adjust. The SP-A allows a lot more personalization than any other units. VOX sensitivity, active volume sensitivity, and master volume. This may sound silly, forgive me, but make sure you and your passenger are talking into the beige side of the mic.

I sold and installed Autocom for years with very little trouble.

So back to basics. Try just the box, rider only with no outside phone, GPS etc. then add the passenger, and so on. Adding one item at a time will tell you where the issue is. THEN use your earbuds.

I don't know if Troy Roper is still a rep for Autocom. He could help diagnose. But try these items first and I'll try and raise him if they don't help.

1. I would suggest trying the headsets with the speakers that came with it for troubleshooting.

2. The ambient noise sensor is only for the riders helmet. Plug it back in, and double check you don't have the leads crossed.

Better to have the sensor deep in the lining than out in the wind.

3. Double check the book to make sure you understand the 3 presets you have to adjust. The SP-A allows a lot more personalization than any other units. VOX sensitivity, active volume sensitivity, and master volume. This may sound silly, forgive me, but make sure you and your passenger are talking into the beige side of the mic.

I sold and installed Autocom for years with very little trouble.

So back to basics. Try just the box, rider only with no outside phone, GPS etc. then add the passenger, and so on. Adding one item at a time will tell you where the issue is. THEN use your earbuds.

I don't know if Troy Roper is still a rep for Autocom. He could help diagnose. But try these items first and I'll try and raise him if they don't help.

Thanks for the advice. I've already done most of what you suggest, but your main suggestion, to do one thing at a time, is a good one. What's so frustrating about this is that it worked for 10,000 miles without these issues, and nothing has been changed.

Turns out the distortion issue is a known bug with the Alpine system, and only occurs with the FM or Sirius...I was using the FM for testing (almost all the time on the road I'm listening to music through my ipod or phone), so that issue is moot. Leaving just the microphone problem. Given the audio system on the current K bikes, and presumably other models, knowing what I know now, I would have stuck with the older, simpler system I had on the RT. The current Autocom Logic setup would work fine for my purposes, without all the (unnecessary) bells and whistles of the SPA.

We would have problems with the Sirius. ( distortion) it's been a few years, but I recall a work around for it that the rep came up with. I Used to have a notebook with wiring diagrams showing what Autocom cord or accessory to use for the LT depending on what audio accessory was utilized.

That notebook is who knows where at the dealership now.

I'll text Troy tomorrow and see if he can help.

What accessories exactly are you using? Can't guarantee his cell number is currant, but I'll try.

If I recall, it was as easy as the placement of where things get plugged into to get rid of the noise, or an Autocom componant that had to be added to split a port.

Let me know.

Solved. The ambient noise sensor was the problem. Disabled it with a jumper, and also opened the case and turned the auto volume switch from OFF to ON to kill that feature...the latter being counterintuitive, but the problem is gone. ANS never worked right anyway.

Archived