IGNORED

HID replacement bulb

johnlt

I had my HID low beam go out on my R1200 GSA today. I am not the original owner so don’t know what system was installed and don’t see any labels on the ballast that shows a company name. On the attached pic of the bulb assembly, I can see the imprint of XGY which I believe manufactures HID bulbs but sells to other companies for kits. On one of the wires I see a label that says “H7 Wo-20110”. I’ve googled these and see a lot of XGY bulbs but not that incorporate the connectors like I have. I’d appreciate any ideas of how I can find a replacement.

HID%20bulb-XL.jpg

I think I have one spare bulb at home that looks like it. I upgraded the oem light system on my prior bike, K1200LT to HID, and I got a Kensun Kit from Amazon.

Will take a pic and post it later.

Those are nice fat wires. When you get the new bulb, make sure the wires aren't the tiny 18-20 gauge wires some use.

The bulbs are very generic. You might try Yano Shiki as well out of Florida.

The connectors are the std type. You can buy any H-7 HID replacement.

It is entirely possible to mix brands on HIDs- I do it all the time.

Were it me, I would get one of the H-7s with a genuine Philips stock color temp tube or a similar one from one of the Japanese OEM suppliers. They will be 2-4X the price of the cheapest Chinese stuff. If you see what looks like a price match, its counterfeit which is very common.

HIDs do not last forever but are rated for for longer use than std bulbs. A typical H-7 bulb might be rated at 50 hours in std conditions while an HID might be rated 2000 hrs or more. 2000 hrs is a lot of miles...

They often, but not always, throw weird colors for a brief while before failing completely. If you notice that, its warning to change now.

FWIW, wire gauge does not matter much. Current to the bulb is not all that great and even thinner wire is plenty at such short distance from the ballast. What does matter is insulation adequate for the voltage.

Archived