IGNORED

pants burned on muffler

danevans

Just did something very boneheaded. I burned my olympia riding pants on my wife's R1200c muffler. Can someone tell me how to get this stuff off? I have tried alcohol, wd 40, chrome polish and other things. Surely this has happened to others!

Hmm, melted stuff got on there with heat, it will come off with heat. Char the residue off with a propane torch, just enough to get it smoking and wipe it off.

The Rocketman

Easy Off oven cleaner should get most of it off. Don't use a razor blade or 00000 steel wool as has been suggested in the past. Anything abrasive will leave an ugly mess. Once the Easy Off gets most of the yuck off, try Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover or Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner-Only after the pipes are COLD. This should remove the remaining residue. I've done this before and it works.

The Rocketman

BTW, the folks at Olympia are SUPER nice, and a phone call very well may get you some extra material mailed to fix the burn hole in your pants. They were more than happy to send me a sheet of material my tailor used to lengthen my pants legs a while back.

Just did something very boneheaded. I burned my olympia riding pants on my wife's R1200c muffler. Can someone tell me how to get this stuff off? I have tried alcohol, wd 40, chrome polish and other things. Surely this has happened to others!

Yes, it happened. What to do...

Get a hold of a soft wood wedge. Go for a ride as to warm up the exhaust to operating temperature (and to avoid choking on the smell). As soon as you get back home, use the wedge to scrap the textile residue. Repeat the operation if needed, then polish the exhaust.

That should do the trick.

I use Oxalic acid on my 1200C shiny parts. Seems to work better than most chrome polishes. Here's some at Amazon.

I have no idea if it will get burnt stuff off of pipes, but you can find Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) just about anywhere (walmart). It does a real nice job on anything chrome. I use it for cleaning my old boat all the time.

I use Oxalic acid on my 1200C shiny parts. Seems to work better than most chrome polishes. Here's some at Amazon.

I have no idea if it will get burnt stuff off of pipes, but you can find Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) just about anywhere (walmart). It does a real nice job on anything chrome. I use it for cleaning my old boat all the time.

Having owned a ton of fiberglass sailboats, I can say that using oxalic acid on fiberglass is not the best. The acid etches the gelcoat which leaves small cracks that make dirt and other stuff stick tighter. DAMHIK :dopeslap:

Yes, it happened. What to do...

Get a hold of a soft wood wedge. Go for a ride as to warm up the exhaust to operating temperature (and to avoid choking on the smell). As soon as you get back home, use the wedge to scrap the textile residue. Repeat the operation if needed, then polish the exhaust.

That should do the trick.

This is the best suggestion that I've read so far. The key is to get as much material off as possible in a way that does not damage the metal. If you decide to use additional heat use a heat gun rather than a torch. Heat it only to the point needed to weaken the material's hold on the metal.

Take a suggestion from the Hippocratic Oath: Primum non nocere (First do no harm) I realize it bugs you, but go slow. You'll really be bugged if you have to look at a spot you scratched, dulled, or etched in you attempts to fix the problem.

Dang it Bud, BKF says it is safe on fiberglass and acrylics. It sure cleans the white deck nicely.

Yes it bleaches it a nice, bright white!!!!! :thumbsup:

And I read it on the interwebby thingamajig that it was bad for fiberglass so it has to be true, right? :grin:

Not to suggest something real stoopid - but what about a solvent? What is it, nylon? Surely something will dissolve it. But I'm not a chemist.

http://rfelektronik.se/manuals/Datasheets/solventguide.pdf

I melted some plastic on my pipes years ago, and I just left it on there. eventually it all burned off and left a little stain on the pipe. It didn't bother me much, but then the bike was well used. Actually, it was an old clunker.

If you want a top drawer repair on your pants, try rainy pass repair. I can vouch for a number of repairs to backpacks, jackets, etc. They are the factory repair center for a number of manufacturers, including BMW. http://rainypass.com/

Going to have to try the wood wedge trick as I have some heel marks along with a segment of my riding pants burned into my R9T's titanium exhaust pipe

I used a variation of this process. I used a high temp heat gun and the wood wedge. This worked very well. I thank all of you for your replies!

Archived