IGNORED

Having trouble reading the cockpit devices while riding.

Rougarou

With aging, as some of you may know), eye's have a tendency to need a wee bit of help. I have been using reading glasses for a few years so when I mounted the GPS and now the iphone (waze), I began looking for a solution to be able to read the fine print while no disturbing my distance vision. I tried the stick on helpers but couldn't get them located in a good spot.

My next try was a set of bi-focal safety glasses and these are absolutely perfect. My company provides them free so why not give them a try. I can keep the visor up on those occasions that I want full face of air without worrying about bug/rock in the eye and I can roll my eyes down and clearly read the cockpit.

So, if you are like me and have great distance vision but need a bit of help on the near side of things, you might want to explore some of these.

My solution was to find a pair of 1.0 diopter reading glasses, cut down the tops of the lenses so that I could see the road and the instruments clearly, depending on where I switched my gaze. I masked the lenses with tape, then used a Dremel cutoff wheel, then wet sanded and polished the cut edges, measuring with digital calipers to make sure that both lenses were dimensionally the same.

For daylight use sun glasses, you can also use a pair of "fly fishing" glasses. They are similar to your safety glasses only with polarized dark lenses; unaided on top and magnifiers on the bottom.

Archived