IGNORED

Cold Weather Starting Question

Selden

Knowing that Lithium ion batteries have a reputation for being cold blooded, I brought along the old Odyssey, a trickle charger to keep it topped off, and some jumper cables.

I am taking an MSF course 8-5 on Sunday, and the morning weather forecast is currently predicting 33°. During the last cold stretch, I successfully started the bike at 39° but I'm a little nervous. To provide extra juice, I'm thinking of hooking up the old battery to jumper cables, then plugging into a fused power outlet (wired directly to the battery). I'm assuming that the Odyssey (which will have been kept in a warm house overnight) will add enough extra oomph for an easy start.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't work?

Joe Frickin' Friday

If I understand correctly, you intend to connect the secondary battery to the bike's electrical system through a fused power outlet.

If you do that, it'll blow the fuse on that circuit when you hit the starter (unless your fuse is rated for a couple hundred amps).

You'll want to connect the Odyssey as if it belongs to another vehicle and you're trying to jump-start your bike:

-positive battery terminal to positive battery terminal

-negative terminal on Odyssey to frame on bike (the latter should be the final connection you make)

Here is a link to a Ballistic Lithium Ferrus Phosphate battery procedure.

Very similar to the ones I've seen on a Shorai Lithium IRON (not ion) battery.

Gives an explanation and an extreme demo.

http://youtu.be/k5KjsbNuXl

I like the Lithium batteries, the cold weather starting I think isn't for everyone. I almost got one for my 11:1 Z1 Racebike, but went with what I know, the MotoBatt AGM.

Twist the throttle to just off idle and push the button (per the manual, standard BMW cold start technique).

33 degrees is really not very cold (even if you do find frost on your Georgia peach fuzz). I'd expect an immediate start.

If your battery is weak and it will not turn over, follow Mitch's advice.

Thanks all. Since the course is Sunday, and the forecast for Saturday morning is for about the same temperature, I can do a trial run Saturday. If it starts, it starts; if not, I can swap the Odyssey back in the daylight, rather than attempting it an hour before dawn.

If the Lithium battery is kept on a Battery Tender overnight, will that provide enough current to warm the battery above ambient temperature? If so, I can plug it in Friday night, and see how things go Saturday morning.

Afternoon Selden

33° isn't very cold so it should still start OK at that ambient.

You should be OK (starting wise) down to about 18°f or so.

In any case if it balks just turn the lights on for a couple of minutes to warm the battery & it should crank & fire off.

Thanks, DR. I always appreciate your advice. I'll report back on Saturday.

When I bought the battery in May, I didn't expect to be in Delaware in November. With an enclosed garage, attached to a house, low temperature starting should never be an issue in Atlanta.

FWIW, I installed a new Li-ion battery shortly before FART. It's worked well overall, but on Sunday morning when the temps were in the mid-30s, it almost didn't start. I don't believe it got as low as 33, but it did affect the battery nonetheless.

I have the RT plugged in to a Battery Tender. It started just fine this morning at 40° Sunday's forecast is for about the same temperature at dawn. For Monday (when I plan to start the ride back to Atlanta), the forecast low is around 35° which might be a little more of a challenge, but I don't think I will have any problems.

No drama at dawn yesterday. Turn ignition on with headlights and grip heaters, crank a few times, let sit 15 seconds, try again, and it started right up. (Same thing at dawn this morning, when it was slightly colder).

The MSF ERC went less well. It was a terrifically windy day, to the point that at times I was concerned about the RT blowing off the sidestand. I was nervous, and because of a broken side case latch, had not gotten in the 500 miles of MD/WV riding that I had hoped to use as a tune up for the ERC. As a result, I was not at my best, and while most exercises went well, I had problems with tight U-turns, which blew my confidence in other areas. By the time of the evaluation at the end, I was riding way too conservatively, which did not help my score -- except for hard stops, where the combination of telelever and ABS shines -- simply no drama at all, in contrast with the guy on a KZ1000 who locked his rear wheel, lost his balance, and came within an inch of tipping while stopped. He eventually managed to wrestle it upright; I was pretty sure I knew how he felt.

The ERC was also a wake up call that I need to start planning to downsize; the RT is still a delight at speed, but for a 5'6" rider with a 28" inseam, it's a handful at low speeds. I'm not in a big hurry to change mounts (unless I manage to scare myself), but I remember how much more at ease I felt on a F700GS low demo ride. With the low suspension and comfort seat, plus longer suspension travel, the F700GS was a very comfortable ride.

Archived