IGNORED

New Sport Touring Boots - any suggestions?

paRTy

Looking for a pair of new Sport Touring Boots to replace my old Sidi's. Love the Sidi's and may go back the brand, but just don't know whats new out there and comes with the recommendations of RT owners.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

After looking at and trying on various options, my wife recently settled on a pair of the BMW "Allround" boots. They have Goretex, decent instep and ankle protection, a handy pull strap, and they don't weigh too much.

All%20Round%20Boots-500x500.png

My 8-year old Aerostich Combat Touring Lites remain the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. They took forever to break in, and the toe box is so big that I can't fit my toe under the shifter, but with the welted sole construction, I hook the inner edge of the sole on the shifter, which works well. After the long breakin period, they are supremely comfortable, the soles are replaceable by any decent shoemaker, and they have never leaked so much as a drop. The inner lace mechanism makes it possible to get a secure fit around the shin, and the large single Velcro patch shows no sign of fatigue after 8 years.

Love my 11 year old Alpinestars. Have tried out alternatives using Revzilla, which of course offers great videos and list of features for each.

I have BMW All Round boots. They are very comfortable and I have never gotten a drop of water in them in over 30k miles of riding with them. I highly recommend them.

I have BMW All Round boots. They are very comfortable and I have never gotten a drop of water in them in over 30k miles of riding with them. I highly recommend them.

+2 -- and they wear well. Over the last decade plus I've worn Allrounds nearly daily and I'm only now in the last 1/3 of life of the second pair. I'll probably pick up a third pair in 2015 or 2016.

I also like the understated look -- when I'm on the elevator heading for my office most people don't even notice them under my suit pants (I change into dress shoes when I get to my desk). Some of the Power Rangers-style riding boots are not quite as easy to overlook.

Thanks for the recommendations. Seems like the BMW Allround boots keep getting high marks. Spoke to some other folks today and they also recommended them.

I'd had Alpinestars Gore-Tex boots for 8 years. When they wore out I tried BMW All Around boots and found them really comfortable but the velcro is super aggressive -- and coarse enough to abrade the skin off my fingers while putting them on, so I sold them and I got a new pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex. Great boot. The model that I have is on closeout but the newer model is available, at a higher price.

What are you looking for in a boot?

If comfort in any situation is what you are after, I have been using TCX Explorer 3 Gore-Tex boots on long hauls for the past two years. I came from Sidi On-Road boots and I found the TCX to be far superior in all aspects apart from looks.

They have one only drawback: they cannot be resoled.

If you are after a more sporty boot, I have recently bought a pair of Diadora waterproof boots whose name eludes me. Not as comfortable as the TCX but surprisingly good value for money. Plus, the magnesium toe slider is a Godsend, at least for me. ;)

OK... one more vote for the Alpine Stars...

I wanted waterproof... not just water resistant. I was a little concerned that they would be steamy-hot but, as luck would have it... They are not. They ARE waterproof, and are the most comfortable boots I have owned.

Your actual mileage may vary...

There are so many good products from which to chose. I took the lazy route and bought Aerostichs Combat Lites. They do the job comfortably at a reasonable price. I've had mine six years, no problems, and they have kept my feet dry in heavy rains. They do take some breaking in though.

Many good ones and new products to choose from.

I've still got my old, completely waterproof, once resoled, not covered with weird graphics or designs etc, with over 150,000 miles on them, SIDI On Road.

Have worn all day/bike/evening/work.

I wanted comfort, waterproof, plain appearance to not call attention to them, good fit, quality, plus they came in big foot sizes.

I have two pair of Bates Fast Lanes. Nikwax coating has kept them dry through some rainy trips. The other great advantage of the Bates boots is that they will custom make a pair for your specific feet - highly recommended.

Fit makes a big difference to me since I have narrow feet. I was happy to learn (from the guys at Revzilla) that Dainese boots are about the narrowest line of moto boots. I tried their Fulcrum Gore-Tex and for once I didn't have to add insoles to make boots fit my boney feet. They are nicely made, comfortable and don't leak.

Not sure if that helps in your case, but there you have it.

I enjoyed the Alpinestar gore tex Web effex boots for 8 years without a drop of moisture (other than my sweat in summer) of water enterring. They were comfy, warm, seemed fairly protective and reasonably priced. Sole finally wore through so I went to buy a new pair. They didn't feel as good as the old pair and didn't seem quite as nice as the pair I was replacing. Despite them being on clearance, I went with the bmw all around and love them.

They seem perfect for commuting and road riding although I rely on my alpinestar toucan boots for dirty stuff.

Archived