IGNORED

Tires

tekslk

Im 62 not a hard rider but a couple thousand a year. Whats everyone running for tires, <99r1100rt> I can get dunlap for 220 or should I run something else? Bike has a pair of cuppy michelins on now.

Tires, like oil and taste, are personal and somewhat acquired choices.

I personally would like to try the new Michelin Pilot Road 4 (GT or otherwise), however the peculiarity of the 18 inch rear wheel of my R1100RT precludes that opportunity. Would/could perhaps try Pilot Road 3, but alas I am really happy with performance of the Dunlop Roadsmart2 currently shod on the bike. Have enjoyed nearly 7k on this set. Appears that another 2-3k could be possible; at least 2k. I seldom ride 2-up and when I do it is mainly local (<150 miles per iteration). My loading in side and top cases is about average or within limits of the specification.

I will likely repeat with these tires since I like them and my local independent BMW shop (85 miles each way) offers me near RevZilla/other competitive pricing with free installation. Not too mention great coffee (lots of it)and even better camaraderie and fellowship. They can bring Michelin, however it is not one of their specially discounted brands. Mainly Dunlop, Pirelli, and Continental (mainly for GSers, TKC-80).

As per usual, your mileage may vary.

Agrre with this: Tires, like oil and taste, are personal and somewhat acquired choices.

I have just consumed a pair of Bridgestone 023's. Prior to that I had Michelin PR 3.

I now have a set of PR4's.

If truth be told I personally prefer the Bridgestones 023's.

I can't give you any steer on mileage because it has become clear from this forum that even if we use the same tires, same inflation, same load on the bike etc, then there is still a huge disparity in achieved mileages ranging from 5000 miles up to an outrageously incomprehensible 12500 miles!

You choose.

what AndyS just said...

I just replaced a Brigestone 023 rear tire that has accomplished over 12,000 miles but didn't have any cord showing... I replaced it because it had a faulty tire valve. I am blessed to have a spare rear wheel which already had a Metzler Z6 on it... I haven't tried the PR3's or PR4's yet... but I would definitely buy another 023 for the rear end again...

Most of my miles are highway commute on good pavement.

I just ordered replacements for my Bridgestones. Over 12.5k miles on the rear tire. Sure, it is bald, but no cord showing. I'm very happy with the life of the 023's. Hoping the 30's I bought live as long. I'm riding an 07 RT.

Dean

I didnt see the michelin pilot 4 in a 160/60/18 for the rear am I missing something. I never had the metzler I may go with them. Its a coin toss at this poing.

For my 1150RT it's Continental conti-trac and for the 1100RSL it's conti-attack with 42psi in front and 44psi in the rear both bikes as per Chris Harris suggestion which gives great wear and no cupping.

Do not like Dunlop as they tend to slip on hot tar sealed cracks in curves especially in hot weather. Sometimes this tendency to slip can be un-nerving.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 99r1100rt I bought this used it has michelin polot 3 tires on it but both front and rear are cupped, they have great tread just cupped, should I replace with the same tire or does anyone know anything about these? Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Motorcycle Tire

Or any good tire Im listening.

Mod Note: merged with OPs tire thread from previous month

This article has an interesting comment. I like the BT023s for their never-cupping property, and I'm used to them. These last a long time, but I never worry about tire mileage as a comparison factor. Feel, grip, maybe cost, but never mileage. Plus their name is Battlax, and that's just downright cooler than the others.

Archived