IGNORED

Shoei "quest" helmet

slowvet

It's been forever since I've helmet shopped. Thinking about getting the Shoei I mentioned above. Are they bluetooth compatible? How does that work? Are there helmets out there on the market that already have bluetooth? Help a brother out please!

There are just a few helmets that come with a Bluetooth headset installed. Nolan being one of them.

Most of the better helmets like your Shoei come with recesses for speakers have removable area in the helmet to make headset install easier.

Bluetooth itself allows your modern audio devices and accessories with audio to wirelessly hook up to your heaset in the helmet.

Such as GPS-Smartphone-Radar Detector-Satellite radio-MP3. and to connect to compatable headsets in other riders helmets.

Bluetooth headsets.

There are several brands, Everyone has thier favorite. The real question goes back to you. What do you want to do?

If only answer and make phone calls, Scala makes a basic set that does just that. It connects wirelessly to your smartphone to use the phones features including in phone music and GPS apps.

If you want to do rider to passenger and or bike to bike, you'll need a system that does more functions. Scala and Sena are favorites by a lot of riders. Each has thier benefits.

If you have a BMW with a factory audio system and wish to use ALL the features of the system you will have to use a Schuberth C3 or C3Pro and the BMW Communicator.

So back to you, what is your goal with Bluetooth?

I have a Shoei Qwest with a Sena SMH10 bluetooth intercom installed/attached (I use earbuds, so I did not install the speakers in the helmet). So, in that sense, the Qwest is bluetooth "compatible".

Thank you for the quick and thorough response. So I can enjoy the the bells & whistles the r1200rt has to offer and communicate with my wife. Thanks Tri and Marco!

If bells and whistles include the BMW audio system (just to repeat)

You'll have to use the Shuberth modular and the BMW Comm system only, IF you want to use all of the features.

If bells and whistles include the BMW audio system (just to repeat)

You'll have to use the Shuberth modular and the BMW Comm system only, IF you want to use all of the features.

Looks like I'm getting a Schuberth after after all. Also the BMW comm system. Crud, thought I was going to get away a little cheaper. I haven't bought street gear in a long time. Looking at the Alpinestars "Andes" jacket. Still unsure what gloves to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

Like tire and oil choices, there are a number of spirited opinions on gear.

For a moderately priced, proven winter jacket look at the First Gear Kiliminjaro. It's 3/4 length, removable liner, CE approved armor, has reflectors, avail in hi-viz and sells for a whisker over 300. Also available in big man sizes and talls.

It has enough pockets to give you "large purse syndrome" as well.

It's been out for at least 15 years with a few upgrades.

There is a half length version as well. The Kenya maybe?

In Calif we call this a 3 season jacket. Summer, First Gear makes a couple good ventilated jackets as well. Even one of the "young person" brands, Speed &Strength makes a good summer jacket. I got one on sale and am very happy with it.

Gloves, hard to beat BMW. The Rallye glove for Summer or Pro Winter for cold and wet.

Held is a great brand but last I heard they were still looking for a U.S. distributor.

I've been out of the loop with them. Maybe they found one.

"Held is a great brand but last I heard they were still looking for a U.S. distributor. "

I believe that Schuberth is now the official US distributor for Held products.

Bought the Schuberth today. Not sure if I'm a fan of the strap clasping system. Guess I have to get used to it. I was really expecting quiet once moving. Only with the windshield all the way up (duh)it was quieter. The large was too tight, the xl fit much better/comfortable but could be a tad bit to big. I held off on the BMW comm system for the time being. I need to focus on getting me back in tune on two wheels after not riding on the street since '88. The bells and whistles can wait.

Hopefully, you wore the helmet for an ample amount of time in the shop.

Too tight will sometimes ease into fine in 20-30 minutes.

Too large isn't safe in an accident and will make a normally quiet helmet noisy.

Schuberth does make thicker headliner and cheek pad inserts if you have to shim it up once it's broken in. The parts are not cheap, but that's the price of admission.

If it's going to be a while before you get the Comm system, I suggest you get a handshake that since you got the bike and the helmet there, and likely the Comm as well, they will install it at no charge.

Some shops are charging anywhere from 50-100 to install. It's quite the ordeal for someone that's never done it.

Yes I wore the helmet around the shop 15-20mns. The salesman was very knowledgeable and did the side to side test as well. The large was too tight. He mumbled something about my head being Abi-normal/Alien like,or some such, didn't quite catch it all. Thank you Tri for all your input!

Archived