IGNORED

Using a USB thumb drive as audio source - AAC to MP3

mikehihz

Hey folks:

First post. I'm the new-to-me-owner of a 2014 R1200RT. Post recall and the previous owner upgraded. My gain. This is my second BMW bike and my first bike with an audio system. Just sold a Ducati MTS1100S to make room for the RT. Totally loving this bike for my 42 mile one-way commute to work.

Onto the audio system. Before trying to get an iPod to work, I wanted to try a USB thumb drive as a lower risk option than leaving an iPod so exposed. I'll use this thread to post my findings to getting this working.

First thing: the RT's audio system only seems to recognize MP3s, so if you rip CDs to iTunes Plus (AAC), have lossless music, or mainly buy from iTunes, you'll need to re-rip your AACs to MP3s.

I'm lucky enough to have Apple Compressor to do a very high quality job quickly. You can also search for "AAC to MP3" and try to find something free or cheap to do that but be careful of adware and malware. If you have an older version of iTunes, you might be able to create MP3 versions, but the latest iTunes 12 took that feature out.

Plug the thumb drive, let it load and Bob's your uncle. Making playlists is the next topic. Stay tuned!

cheers, m

I already found out something similar on Windows. I never knew the default settings when ripping were to create WMA files. My USB wouldn't play. Then I found the files were WMA. Once I changed Windows Media Player to use a default rip to MP3, I had music. I haven't played with folders yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So, an update. I happened to have the BMW iPod adapter and gave that a try with an older hard disk based iPod. Worked for a while, but like the Mini Coopers and BMW iDrive-based cars, it takes a longer time to boot up, constantly crashes and becomes unrecognized every ride. I'm going back to the thumb drive and seeing how big a drive the BMW audio system can recognize. 2GB is fine so far. Going to try 8GB and 16GB. Anyone out there have anything bigger?

BMW hasn't really kept up with software updates to the iPod family, so it I wouldn't expect the last generation of iPod Classics or the latest generation of iPod Shuffles and Touches to work. If anyone can prove me wrong, it would be appreciated, but I think a $30 thumb drive is better to leave on a bike then an iPod.

There will be a slight quality loss when transcoding between two lossy formats but doubtful it would be audible in a motorcycle environment.

The issue in the OP is one reason I've stuck with the MP3 format over the years. AAC has some advantages at low bit rates but at 192 kbps and above all of the lossy formats are about equal. In particular, the LAME MP3 encoder using the V0 variable bitrate setting is essentially transparent to the original source and is universally supported these days so there's really no reason to use anything else. Different vendors use their own default choice when ripping music (AAC for iTunes, WMA for Windows, etc.) but all can usually be optioned to use MP3 instead.

So, an update. I happened to have the BMW iPod adapter and gave that a try with an older hard disk based iPod. Worked for a while, but like the Mini Coopers and BMW iDrive-based cars, it takes a longer time to boot up, constantly crashes and becomes unrecognized every ride. I'm going back to the thumb drive and seeing how big a drive the BMW audio system can recognize. 2GB is fine so far. Going to try 8GB and 16GB. Anyone out there have anything bigger?

BMW hasn't really kept up with software updates to the iPod family, so it I wouldn't expect the last generation of iPod Classics or the latest generation of iPod Shuffles and Touches to work. If anyone can prove me wrong, it would be appreciated, but I think a $30 thumb drive is better to leave on a bike then an iPod.

The RTW audio can handle up to 32 Gb via the USB. I wish that it could do 64 Gb, and so I am giving the iPod adapter a try. Just waiting for a 30-pins-to-Lightning cable adapter right now.

Archived