IGNORED

NO PARKING BRAKE...WHY?

Tourmaster

Why do bike manufactures not provide a parking brake on motorcycles? Something as simple as a locking cam or pin on the front brake lever would do it, they could even incorporate an idiot light on the instrument cluster. They have them on 4 wheelers and sleds etc. No, I have not had my parked bike roll off the side stand (yet).

Ever have the bike idling (warming up) with an armload of whatever that needs to go into the top case (or dig the helmets out) and as you push the lock release button, you begin to wonder how hard you have to push before it starts to roll...if you know what I mean.

The handbook of every BMW I have owned states that they should not be warmed up, but started and ridden off straight away. That said, I don't own a water boxer.

I did have a bike with a parking brake, a 1978 Honda CB400TA automatic. As it had no clutch, the left hand lever operated the rear brake and was held on by a button you pushed down.

Andy

Ever have the bike idling (warming up) with an armload of whatever that needs to go into the top case (or dig the helmets out) and as you push the lock release button, you begin to wonder how hard you have to push before it starts to roll...if you know what I mean.

Modern bikes with EFI really don't need to be warmed up. Just ride it gently for the first mile or two.

If my bike is running, I'm either just about to get on it , or I'm riding away.

As others said, 1st gear when parked, and don't let the bike idle for a warm up. Start and within a minute ride away.

MB>

Modern bikes with EFI really don't need to be warmed up. Just ride it gently for the first mile or two.

Bill, Yesterday morning I took the bike to work at 6:30 am, it was 1 degree C (roughly 34 F). I agree EFI is a wonderful thing but just because the bike can be driven immediately I prefer to let it run a few minutes first. At these temps the oil hasn't a chance of properly lubricating a cold engine (under load). YMMV

"Properly lubricating"

If your engine is running, it's properly lubricating. No one is asking you to scream off and run it up to redline. An easy departure and short shifts until oil comes to temperature is all that's needed.

But if you feel better letting it idle until your predetermined time, then knock yourself out.

MB>

Bill, Yesterday morning I took the bike to work at 6:30 am, it was 1 degree C (roughly 34 F). I agree EFI is a wonderful thing but just because the bike can be driven immediately I prefer to let it run a few minutes first. At these temps the oil hasn't a chance of properly lubricating a cold engine (under load). YMMV

The coldest I've ridden so far is 9*F, started the bike, hopped on, and rode off.

Everything I've seen about the RT's is exactly as has been said, no need for warm up, start it and ride it.

Also, 1st gear is my parking brake.

Why do bike manufactures not provide a parking brake on motorcycles? Something as simple as a locking cam or pin on the front brake lever would do it, they could even incorporate an idiot light on the instrument cluster. They have them on 4 wheelers and sleds etc. No, I have not had my parked bike roll off the side stand (yet).

Sleds and 4 wheelers have them because they don't have a manual transmission to hold them when parked. Are you not aware of the holding power of the transmission when the bike is parked?

Archived