IGNORED

Sena SMH 10

hopz

SMH 10....the key on the 14RT is go to your menu and sync to helmet 1 and sync to that. I have my IPphone in the upper red box with special cable, nav 5 in cradle, and SMH 10 all synced up.

Have one and like it a lot. Select songs / stations via the bike's spin wheel, volume through the SMH 10's jog dial though. There is a workaround for the volume issue but haven't explored that option. Directional voice prompts and telephone calls. :thumbsup:

Once in a while I'll have to shut off the bike's radio and or the SMH to restart the Bluetooth connection.

Thought I remember reading about some issues with a second SMH and the bike's radio but, don't remember exactly at this point.

Pat

Paul, I believe someone on this board had an informative write up on this. Can't remember who it was at the moment but, believe it may of involved some sniping and splicing. And unfortunately, that's just above my pay-grade. :grin: Hopefully he may chime in.

Pat

I wish there was a way to control the volume thru the jog dial without having to buy the bmw communications. Is this the only function that doesn't work with the Sena? Does it work with rider and passenger? How is the sound quality listening to music with the Sena? I want to buy two new helmets and communications and would spend the money on the bmw and shuberth but I have heard the sound quality is horrible.

IMO David, the sound is great. AFAIK, the volume control via the bike's jog wheel is the only hurdle. Don't have an answer for the second unit.

Pat

The radio on the 2014 R1200rt only works for the 1st (rider) BT connection if you use the Sena SMH10 and other headsets.

Passenger does not work as BMW have modified the BT standards to allow 2way interfacing to the radio from both headsets to allow volume control etc.

The solution is to install a speaker to audio out transformer and an SM10.

I did this with a how to in this thread.

The audio out can also be connected to ear buds and the radio/audio volume control will work.

Volume also works with the SM10 BT connection.

When I use the SMH10 with the standard BMW BT audio, I must always turn on the SMH10 BEFORE turning on the ignition (and) the radio.

Any other way and the BT connects, but I do not get any actual audio.

Garry

The radio on the 2014 R1200rt only works for the 1st (rider) BT connection if you use the Sena SMH10 and other headsets.

Passenger does not work as BMW have modified the BT standards to allow 2way interfacing to the radio from both headsets to allow volume control etc.

The solution is to install a speaker to audio out transformer and an SM10.

I did this with a how to in this thread.

The audio out can also be connected to ear buds and the radio/audio volume control will work.

Volume also works with the SM10 BT connection.

When I use the SMH10 with the standard BMW BT audio, I must always turn on the SMH10 BEFORE turning on the ignition (and) the radio.

Any other way and the BT connects, but I do not get any actual audio.

Garry

Garry, just curious, but why do you have to go the hardwire route when SMH10 can share the audio with another headset?

I also thought that was the case. Definitely read that Cardo can share with the passenger. I may just go this route as I do not want to rewire the bike. Will have to deal with the volume control issue.

I have had an SMH10 for a while and as far as I am aware (and just read the manual again):

1. You can have and intercom conversation with another headset

2. You can share a phone call and have a conversation as well

3. Ditto for GPS.

I assume you connect the audio as a 'phone' connection and include this in the intercom conversation? Had not thought of this. Is it clear and without microphone noise?

In any event, the power usage on the 'retransmitting' SMH10 headsets would be higher then just receiving the audio (IMHO of course).

Garry

I have had an SMH10 for a while and as far as I am aware (and just read the manual again):

1. You can have and intercom conversation with another headset

2. You can share a phone call and have a conversation as well

3. Ditto for GPS.

I assume you connect the audio as a 'phone' connection and include this in the intercom conversation? Had not thought of this. Is it clear and without microphone noise?

In any event, the power usage on the 'retransmitting' SMH10 headsets would be higher then just receiving the audio (IMHO of course).

Garry

Gary,

Have you updated your firmware to at least version 5? The latest is 5.1. Since you have had your SMH-10 for a while, you should note that you will need to download a new manual when upgraded to the 5+ version. The new manual will have all the new features specified!

Archived