IGNORED

Warm Feet in Winter...

OK, I know we've had this discussion about 80 times before but still...

In the 20+ years I have been riding I am still to find a way to keep my feet if not warm at least at an acceptable temperature.

I've tried all the tricks in the book short of buying larger boots and stuffing them with hay and nothing has worked so far.

It's deeply ironic considering the kit we have available nowadays will keep the rest of the body warm in temperatures below freezing (well below when wind chill is factored in).

I've considered heated socks but I am not 100% sold on them. They are expensive, fiddly and battery life is not the best.

I've considered heated boots as well (Dane Warmby), but cannot bring myself with parting with so much money, especially considering I go through boots like Majandra Delfino goes through husbands. :rofl:

So... any trick from experience? Which layering combination worked the best for you? Has anyone actually bought larger boots and stuffed them with hay?

Thanks!

I don't have a problem on the BMW, but for my other bikes I have boots a size larger than normal and wear two pairs of boot socks.

Andy

I know what you mean about cold feet! To keep my feet warm it seemed I needed an oversize boot with lots of layers. That is like wearing a bunch of layers under riding gear, just limits feel and movement.

Gerbing heated insoles. Put these in my Tourmaster boots when it is cold and plug them into my Gerbings pants. Much less finicky than the heated socks. I can leave them in and don't even know they are there. Not cheap, but shouldn't wear out as easily as heated socks so I think the long term value is there.

throw away heat packs, just make sure you have a layer of good insulation between your skin and the heat pack, they get hot, I would test them out first... or any number of electrically (hard wire 12V or battery pack) powered devices. Go online to Cabela's or Bass Pro and look in hunting attire. Old style Gerbings socks have the wires below your feet, uncomfortable to walk in, they have probably remedied that with the newer ones but I have no experience. I can tell you, without a doubt, that the Gerbings socks were an absolute saver for me one year out west while caught in a May snow storm at altitude. I would have been in trouble without them.

Just added electrically heated socks and pants liner to my existing heated gear. Riding was great. Walking...not so much. The trial ride was only for 30 minutes at 34 degrees...toasty warm. I'll do a longer ride soon and see how that goes.

Yep, the whole setup was expensive but I really hate being cold and I really want to ride all year.

I've used these. I doubt they can put out enough heat to try and warm things up once your tootsies were cold, but they seem to help when inserted prior to starting out for the day. You definitely will not feel a surge of heat like you do with a heated jacket or gloves, but I was fine for many hours in the low 20s on an RT and an FJR, both of which have good wind protection for your feet. I've yet to try them on a bike where your feet are in the wind stream.

orig.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

There could be a more complex problem to be addressed and solved.

If you have sweaty feet, keeping them warm is more of a problem. Providing a source of heat could make them colder, ultimately.

Evaluate the foot moisture side of things and use a foot anti-perspirant.

The heated solutions all seem to require a larger boot. I've looked at that and just don't want to drop the coin.

I've got a pair of ski boot covers that I can put hand warmer packs under. This does nothing for the insole area (where all the nerves seem to be) but is better than nothing on a 2+ hour 40 degree F ride.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I took at look at the European Gerbing's website, but they don't list insoles as available here, meaning I'd have to order straight from the US. Strong dollar, high shipping costs (really... why shipping from the US cost two or three times as much as from Japan and takes longer?) and custom duties mean they would cost not much less than the Dane heated boots, which have the advantage of coming "ready to roll", with battery packs, charger etc.

At this point I'll give foot warmers a try: for the price if they don't work for me I won't lose much money.

Off to the sporting goods shop this week. :thumbsup:

I just love my WarmNSafe kit.

Have gloves, jacket and trousers (pants) and socks.

Have a wireless controller and one wire between me and the bike.

Just lovely and also available in the EU.

Got rid of the Gerbings set as it kept going wrong.

The Gerbings heated insoles feel just like regular insoles, no wires or bumps in them. :thumbsup:

+1 and they are HOT. My wife and I each use them and have never kept them set higher than 50%.

Ride an airhead. My feet were always toasty on my R100RS. :)

As long as it isn't like my Kawasaki was: toasty under the waist and freezing feet! :grin:

Truth to be told I don't need heated clothing. My present Dane riding attire has such good insulation I often wear nothing more than a short sleeve shirt underneath to avoid sweating and heated grips plus my ancient Held Freezer gloves do the job well. Feet are the only issue... if they can be taken care of on the cheap, I'll be happy.

My feet sweat easily so I layer a pair of thin coolmax socks, to wick away any perspiration, under a pair of smart wool socks. Using a Gerbings liner to keep my core warm helps keep my feet warm also.

I have the Gerbing's insoles and love them. For times that are no near freezing I use wool felt insoles in my boots. Amazing how well they work. 8mm thick but will compress a bit under your weight. Just take the OEM insoles out of the boots first.

Linky

Thanks again for your replies.

Passed in front of a sporting goods shop today, so I stopped and bought some foot warmers... less than 5€ for 5 pairs. They are some Made in Japan stuff so they should be good.

I will let you know how they work.

REDNECK FIX!

The plastic bags from the grocery stores.....slip them over your socks, then put on the boots. And, makes your feet waterproof!

Works just like the plastic waterproof jacket liner that keeps you much warmer, and lots cheaper.

Try it, my cheap advice for the day!

Don J :wave:

REDNECK FIX!

The plastic bags from the grocery stores.....slip them over your socks, then put on the boots. And, makes your feet waterproof!

Works just like the plastic waterproof jacket liner that keeps you much warmer, and lots cheaper.

Try it, my cheap advice for the day!

Don J :wave:

Hey, that's the cheapest solution so far, really appeals to the cheapskate in me.

Only one question, though: what is a redneck doing in California? :grin:

We (rednecks) are everywhere. As Jeff Foxworthy defines us - a redneck is someone with a glorious lack of sophistication. You see, we really are everywhere...

I purchased the heated boot soles from Cyclegear for $69.00. Nothing fancy here. Yes the wire runs up the inside of the boot and up your pant legs. I have a Gerbing heated jacket liner and their dual channel controller. One channel goes to the jacket and the other is for the boots. Plus I have heated grips.

Bottom line: OMG it is so nice to have my feet warm. It has made winter riding a much more enjoyable sport for me. This combination does it for me.

Archived