IGNORED

Musician's EarPLUGS, or similar, for motorcyclists????

markgoodrich

I'm installing a new music/intercom system in the bike, which has very loud speakers with high fidelity. I'd like to use them, instead of the earPHONES I've used for years, but foam earPLUGS and standard molded plugs make everything sound muffled. I know musicians and shooters use earplugs which reduce noise significantly without loss of fidelity, but for shooters it's super loud noises, for musicians it's reduction of all the noise. For motorcycle use, the concern is constant high frequency wind noise.

Any suggestions?

There was a company advertising or maybe even reviewed in the BMWMOA ON magazine in the last few months that produces a line of plugs for various uses - supposedly they do exactly what you want: reduce the problem frequencies specific to the intended activity. There have a powersports/motrocycle set that's about thirty bucks. I am just out the door to work, but if no one else chimes in with it, and you haven't found it yet, I'll look it up tonight when I get home.

They sounded interesting and I was considering ordering a pair to try with my helmet speakers.

Good luck!

josh

There was a company advertising or maybe even reviewed in the BMWMOA ON magazine in the last few months that produces a line of plugs for various uses - supposedly they do exactly what you want: reduce the problem frequencies specific to the intended activity. There have a powersports/motrocycle set that's about thirty bucks. I am just out the door to work, but if no one else chimes in with it, and you haven't found it yet, I'll look it up tonight when I get home.

They sounded interesting and I was considering ordering a pair to try with my helmet speakers.

Good luck!

josh

If you are talking about NoNoise, then I had bought a pair. They are comfortable to wear, but they do block out more noise than the foam EarSoft that I had been wearing. The jury is still out on audio quality using the NoNoise though. I need to get more riding time in, using that product.

BTW, Etymotic also makes similar product as NoNoise, where you can select the type of filter used.

Take a look at earplugs especially meant to be used by airline flight attendants: they are designed to counter high frequency noises while still letting you hear people talking. Most popular are Alpine FlyFit.

As per musician earplugs... I have some experience with it.

Best ones are MusicSafe SonicSet Pro. Excellent product, reusable, washable, but on the pricey side: a set will set you back at around 25€ here.

They come with a selection of filters to adapt them to your needs.

Most musicians here, however, tend to use Ohropax Soft because they are so cheap, disposable and the frequency absorption curve is very linear. I have been using Ohropax products for years now and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

josh

If you are talking about NoNoise, then I had bought a pair. They are comfortable to wear, but they do block out more noise than the foam EarSoft that I had been wearing. The jury is still out on audio quality using the NoNoise though. I need to get more riding time in, using that product.

BTW, Etymotic also makes similar product as NoNoise, where you can select the type of filter used.

Yes - that is the brand to which I was referring; please do post up when you have an opinion about the audio quality issue.

For the last 5 years I have used a set of custom molded musicians ear buds made by Ultimate Ears. Not only are the extremely comfortable, block out most of the wind and road noise, but the musical sound and fidelity is outstanding. They aren't cheap, but in my opinion they are well worth it.

http://pro.ultimateears.com/en-ch/home%23

Doug

After reading this thread I ordered two sets of the Alpine FlyFit units. These look smaller than the NoNoise. I have not had good luck with all day comfort with the rubber/silicon/whatever style plugs, but the FlyFit looks like it might be good.

I built some lexan air deflectors for under the new RT's windscreen to block some air coming up behind it. It is now so quiet that I don't think I need the 29db sound reduction of typical soft foam plugs. If these FlyFits allow me to better hear the helmet speakers, bike speakers, and ambient sounds without the wind noises and traffic noises that I don't want they will be most welcome.

Good luck!

josh

Yes - that is the brand to which I was referring; please do post up when you have an opinion about the audio quality issue.

Unfortunately, that is going to have to be next year! My riding season is over. Once they start putting salt on the roads, my RT stays in the garage!!

Sorry to hijack the thread but I would be interested in seeing a picture of Terry's Lexan air deflectors if he has one available.

Top piece is attached to the plastic frame under the screen, bottom has brackets that fit under the two screws on top of fairing. I felt a lot of wind coming from behind the windscreen, especially when in the lower heights, and didn't like that hitting my face. These fix that.

DSC01379_zps2f80f296.jpg

DSC01380_zps45f47ea5.jpg

There is less buffeting around my helmet than before. There is still air coming in behind the windscreen, just not enough that it feels like a breeze on my face.

Take a look at earplugs especially meant to be used by airline flight attendants: they are designed to counter high frequency noises while still letting you hear people talking. Most popular are Alpine FlyFit.

As per musician earplugs... I have some experience with it.

Best ones are MusicSafe SonicSet Pro. Excellent product, reusable, washable, but on the pricey side: a set will set you back at around 25€ here.

They come with a selection of filters to adapt them to your needs.

Most musicians here, however, tend to use Ohropax Soft because they are so cheap, disposable and the frequency absorption curve is very linear. I have been using Ohropax products for years now and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

The Alpine Music Safe plugs look like they might stick out far enough to touch the helmet speakers. Deal killer for me if that's the case.

The Alpine Music Safe plugs look like they might stick out far enough to touch the helmet speakers. Deal killer for me if that's the case.

I thought about that too. The "NoNoise" brand certainly looked too long. The FlyFit have only two ribs on them instead of three. Might be able to cut off some of that part that sticks out? I agree that anything that touches the helmet will cause your ear to be sore after a couple hours.

Terry, I think the Alpines can't be cut; looks like the tips are where the filters go. I could be wrong, but when has that ever happened.....

I thought about that too. The "NoNoise" brand certainly looked too long. The FlyFit have only two ribs on them instead of three. Might be able to cut off some of that part that sticks out? I agree that anything that touches the helmet will cause your ear to be sore after a couple hours.

The length of the NoNoise is not a problem. Fits fine for me, with Neotec helmet and Tork Pro helmet speakers.

I got the FlyFits in the mail today. Took a short ride on the Super Tenere with them. Too loud on it, but the RT is MUCH quieter than it is.

The part that sticks out is well inside the ear when fitted properly. But, it can be shorted according to the instructions. Comes with a doo-dad to insert them and it seems to help. They need to be well into the ear and since they are short the doo-dad helps. Had them in about an hour and I had no sore spots develop, but that isn't long enough to tell. I do think these are going to be good on the RT.

Thanks, Terry. They're on the list to consider. Have hit a delay in installing the new helmet audio system, so it'll be next week before I can even see what the speakers sound like.

I do volunteer work with a several touring Drum and Bugle Corps. Etymotic is who we use for our ear protection. I grabbed a pair for the bike. They worked exceptionally well just in the helmet or with the Cardo Scala on.... You can use the cheapies for 12 bucks or go all the way to custom molded stuff. The earpieces are built for guys who still have to hear tones and sounds in order to play their music.

I do volunteer work with a several touring Drum and Bugle Corps. Etymotic is who we use for our ear protection. I grabbed a pair for the bike. They worked exceptionally well just in the helmet or with the Cardo Scala on.... You can use the cheapies for 12 bucks or go all the way to custom molded stuff. The earpieces are built for guys who still have to hear tones and sounds in order to play their music.

Which ones? The $12 ones on the website have a "stem" which would stick out too far.

I have Etymotic Hf5's with custom ear molds (through the Etymotic program) that work great. They haven't caused any issues with helmet interference with any of my helmets with or without the molds. Earphones are about $90, ear mold fitting $30, molds about $80.

Lots of good information here, all of which I appreciate, but there's confusion between earplugs and earphones.

Earplugs: do nothing but reduce sound.

Earphones=in ear monitors=earbuds, etc, go in the ear, and produce sound, e.g. music.

I have several sets of earphones. My question refers to earplugs, specifically, musician type which allow the full spectrum of sound through, but reduce the volume. The idea is I want to use the helmet speakers, and wear the earplugs to protect my hearing from wind noise, yet let me hear the helmet speakers.

Exactly as I do MArk. I use the ones mentioned earlier and they block most of the wind noise, allowing me to control the volume of the music by raising it's level. Since the wind noise is relative constant this process works well for me with the plugs I mentioned. They are easy to insert and remove and inexpensive.

No I understood, but simply wanted to present the el-cheapo option - always my favorite. If you're stuffing something in your ears to block noise it may as well also emit the noise you want to hear.

Which system has loud speakers and high fidelity? You might try molding Radians and then drilling a port through? The directional sound from the speakers will channel straight through and the omni-directional wind noise might be blocked?

What ,,,, are you new ??? Get some plugs from Arizona Al or waste your money on 5 other cheap ones before you man up and get the Arizona Al version... Take my word. I wasted plenty of money before I took the plunge. Al's earplugs make awesome sound everyday...

Al is not my Daddy nor do I get anything other than a free shot of bourbon for admitting the auditory truth... :)

What ,,,, are you new ??? Get some plugs from Arizona Al or waste your money on 5 other cheap ones before you man up and get the Arizona Al version... Take my word. I wasted plenty of money before I took the plunge. Al's earplugs make awesome sound everyday...

Al is not my Daddy nor do I get anything other than a free shot of bourbon for admitting the auditory truth... :)

Wurtless, you miss the point. I'm looking for plugs, not phones. I have some of ad's earphones. Here I'm looking for earplugs which allow music through at all frequencies but at reduced volume. I've installed good quality helmet speakers.

Mark, got my seats back yesterday and rode about 100 miles on the RT with the Flyfit plugs. I like that they let in some sound but not the sound that is most irritating. I won't know for sure about them till I put in a long ride. They are quiet enough on the RT, not on the V Strom.

Wurtless, you miss the point. I'm looking for plugs, not phones. I have some of ad's earphones. Here I'm looking for earplugs which allow music through at all frequencies but at reduced volume. I've installed good quality helmet speakers.

I never heard a set of quality helmet speakers. anything over 60 all I heard was garbled crap. Then the skies opened and Arizona Al appeared and said " let there be Clarity " amen..

Mark, I've bought a new intercom/music system, which I'll review as soon as I get it completely installed and test it. In the garage the helmet speakers sound is excellent. The earplugs I've been looking for are the type musicians use, which reduce sound to safe levels across a broad frequency range. My hope is to cut wind noise down to safe levels and still be able to hear the speakers, thus avoiding the hassle of earphones like my Al's. If it doesn't work, I'll simply use earphones...like Al's.

I never heard a set of quality helmet speakers. anything over 60 all I heard was garbled crap. Then the skies opened and Arizona Al appeared and said " let there be Clarity " amen..

If you have not tried the new generation of helmet speakers and electronics available to drive them, then I am sure you are not impressed with helmet speakers. I wasn't impressed till I tried the Sena systems. Speed is not an issue, they have plenty of volume to spare.

While your Arizona Al earbuds will ALWAYS sound better, they have their drawbacks as well. I am finding I prefer the convenience of the helmet speakers. Just push in the earplugs, yank on the helmet and done. Too many times I have jerked earbuds loose, or out of place and had to redo them. Ever yank on an earbud cord while fiddling with a shield or something and have it dislodge an earbud? I don't listen at as high a level with the helmet speakers I think, and that may be a good thing.

Which ones? The $12 ones on the website have a "stem" which would stick out too far.

I think the 12 buck ones were the original ones I used with my HJC modular. No problems with clearance but that helmat was pretty deep in the ears with pockets for speakers which I had the Cardo unit speakers

I do switch back and forth with a full face and Cardo x updated cradle/software and noise isolating headphones which I have come to prefer. Can still hear the road noise but keep my tunes, phone and nav in my ears.

Mark, I've bought a new intercom/music system, which I'll review as soon as I get it completely installed and test it. In the garage the helmet speakers sound is excellent. The earplugs I've been looking for are the type musicians use, which reduce sound to safe levels across a broad frequency range. My hope is to cut wind noise down to safe levels and still be able to hear the speakers, thus avoiding the hassle of earphones like my Al's. If it doesn't work, I'll simply use earphones...like Al's.

Good luck with that. Don't think what you are trying will work.

Musicians don't wear helmets.

I'm with the Wurtmeister. Get Al's and leave the other stuff behind.

I've tried all other methods. As far as jerking out plugs inadvertently, might have happened once. Get your routine down and it won't happen again.

Good luck.

MB>

I'll disagree with MBElectric, after AZ Al's and Etymotic Er4P's for years, I currently use Sena BT with Torx Pro speakers AND Etymotic High Fidilty ear plugs...."Reduces sound approx. 20dB at all frequencies". Great frequency response for this OLD drummer's ears! No cord hassles and no AZ Al's tubes hardening up after a few months. Trust me, I like AZ Al's plugs and customer service but hated buying new tubes every 6 months (or less) and having to blow moisture out of the tube every three or four days.

Russ

John Ranalletta

I would avoid the tubes. IMO, music sounds like it's being played in barrel and the sounds of the tube bushing/bumping against objects is piped to the ears. Also experienced moisture issues mentioned above.

I think we should all maybe slow down here a little bit. I originally asked about musician's earPLUGS because I want to try them. That's all I want to know. I don't want to see this thread turn into an argument about Al's phones, or any other brand. If the earplug thing works for me...I've got two pair of the Hearos Rock N Roll model now...great. One pair doesn't work at all if Suzanne is with me; we'll need to both wear them, or neither wear them. My reasons are similar to Terry's, but I'll repeat, if it doesn't work out, I can go back to earphones for both of us. I have Al's, several kinds of Etymotics, some old Westone customs, and others I can't remember right now.

I've one more adjustment to make to my new intercom/music system, and then I'll be able to post a full review. Meanwhile, with respect, please, let's keep this thread about earPLUGS which allow a full spectrum of frequencies through at reduced, safe volumes, protecting ears from wind noise damage. I'll include comments about the earplug/earphone issue in the review of the new system.

HERE is the review of the new MotoChello intercom/music control system I've been hinting at. I've got it installed, working, and it's better than I had hoped.
  • 1 month later...

Mark, you have cost me money.

On this endeavor to see if there is any good in these new earplugs that have the sound channels built in I have now bought BOTH the FlyFit's and now the NoNoise!

Which turns out to be good. The FlyFits are good but not something I would say are the final answer for bike riding. While on the RT they probably protect your hearing well enough but are not quiet by my measures. Too loud when riding the V STrom with its less wind protection. Perfect for on an airplane.

NoNoise came in the other day. MUCH easier to insert than ANY earplug I have ever used! And that matters to me because proper fit is everything. Have not taken any 16 hour day long rides so I don't know how they will feel doing that, but shorter rides have zero discomfort. These mitigate the wind noise MUCH better than Flyfit. You can hear other noises ( especially the RT's radio speakers and also the helmet speakers when using those ) better with these than with foam earplugs. You can also hear other ambient noises better such as traffic. At first I was thinking if I can hear all that, they must be letting in too many Db's. Well, running at 80 plus and I realized the sound just doesn't get any louder than it is at 40 mph, you just hear a wider range. Right now I give these a :thumbsup: .

Mark, you have cost me money.

On this endeavor to see if there is any good in these new earplugs that have the sound channels built in I have now bought BOTH the FlyFit's and now the NoNoise!

Which turns out to be good. The FlyFits are good but not something I would say are the final answer for bike riding. While on the RT they probably protect your hearing well enough but are not quiet by my measures. Too loud when riding the V STrom with its less wind protection. Perfect for on an airplane.

NoNoise came in the other day. MUCH easier to insert than ANY earplug I have ever used! And that matters to me because proper fit is everything. Have not taken any 16 hour day long rides so I don't know how they will feel doing that, but shorter rides have zero discomfort. These mitigate the wind noise MUCH better than Flyfit. You can hear other noises ( especially the RT's radio speakers and also the helmet speakers when using those ) better with these than with foam earplugs. You can also hear other ambient noises better such as traffic. At first I was thinking if I can hear all that, they must be letting in too many Db's. Well, running at 80 plus and I realized the sound just doesn't get any louder than it is at 40 mph, you just hear a wider range. Right now I give these a :thumbsup: .

Dammit! I just received a set of custom earbuds. YOU cost ME money!!!

Archived