IGNORED

iPhone needs to cool down

Rougarou

So, I'm running Waze all the time I'm riding. The iPhone sets in a carrier on the handlebar. I'm riding in this morning and I get this message that flashes on the screen that reads: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it", then the screen goes black. While I couldn't quite read that entire message while riding (only read "Temperature"), once I hopped off the bike at work, and pressed the home button the message came back on.

I thought that's odd, it's freakin' 18* out, how could the phone be too hot to operate and it was cool/cold to the touch.

So I look it up and the using temperatures of the iPhone are 32*-95*. With that knowledge in hand, I thought it odd again as I've never received that message during any hot spells that the phone has been up.

Anyone else have issues?

I agree, with the wind chill, it was too cold. Maybe it is a generic message or a glitch.

In Fresno, I've had mine shut down while riding in 105 temps with the phone in a RAM X mount while in a rubber bumper case, or while the bike is sitting in the sun of course.

I've been able to revive it by applying mouth to power plug resuscitation cooling it off.

Wait, 18. Eighteen what?

Degrees?

We don't even have thermometers that register that low. Brutal yesterday. 70

I think.

It was too cold.

I've recieved that warning under both too hot and too cold conditions. In the summer working outside, with the iPhone plugged into a portable radio listening to music. It was in direct sunlight and resulted in it overheating. I now throw a white rag over it when using it that way and it solved that problem.

I also had it happen when snowboarding in VT when it was hovering around 0F. It was in an uninsulated jacket pocket and shut itself down as well. I moved it to an internal pocket and it came to life after a few minutes.

BTW.....temperatures that cold are VERY VERY VERY VERY bad for the lithium batteries. You are most likely are doing permanent capacity damage to the pack by using it at temps that low.

Good to know.

Glad my iPhone was in my pocket under my 'stich this morning; record lows around DC last night. I am NOT complaining, as there was no snow on the ground in this morning's ride -- unlike Buffalo (higher than I am tall!) or the rest of New England -- and the Gerbing gear was more than up to the task.

It was too cold.

Ya, I got that from the Apple link in my post that the "usable" temps are 32-95*.

BTW.....temperatures that cold are VERY VERY VERY VERY bad for the lithium batteries. You are most likely are doing permanent capacity damage to the pack by using it at temps that low.

Thanks for this bit of info, I'll just plug it in when the temps reach the freezing or below from now on.

Archived